PDA

View Full Version : Sun/Moon OR Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon???

S.A. Natsu
04-06-2018, 02:32 AM
With Gen 7 having been over and fairly dead for a couple months or so, and Gen 8 coming, I was asked and inspired to write a review of sorts concerning the very.... interesting... games of Sun and Moon and the Ultra versions. I hate when people say: "Oh this game/movie/show/etc was very splitting so you either hated it or loved it. Uh... yeah.... pretty much everything is a hate or love thing, and rarely are in the middle. And it's an overused phrase more and more and at this point, EVERYTHING is "Oh you hated it or loved it, no in between." Anyone else feeling that vibe these days??? Moving on, I wanted to, as we prepare for a new gen, compare this Alola region and see if this was... any good at all. So I'll try to briefly bring about what I loved and hated about this region, no particular order. Just going by what I can remember.

1. Let's start with one of my favorite features in SM. Rotom! I thought he was funny, cute, and said silly things. Best of all, he didn't talk so damn much! Unlike in Ultra, where he is flat out, doggone annoying!! And if you ignore him he has the attention seeking sad face! Wtf!

2. Let's move on to the star of not only the games, but the anime, Lillie! And let's throw in the entire family. Lillie was a lovely girl in SM, a little too much obvious focus on her, but not bad. And the whole thing about not saving the world, but instead saving a broken family, was fresh, moving, and led to moment with Lillie telling you her history in a cave while it rained, Lusamine losing her mind over her husband Mohn being kidnapped by Ultra Beasts to the point where she was willing to kill her own children to be in the wormhole, and resolving the issue had us knocking lusamine unconscious and having her finally acknowledge the "beauty" of her daughter, not in looks, but as a person, and a growing young lady, before having to go to Kanto to save her life. Well, SCREW THAT in Ultra. Instead we get some human looking aliens and their weak, useless Poipole, the cave scene with Lillie in the rain replaced by a rain scene in a cave with a creepy man, and the Lusamine threat is no longer a threat. She doesn't wanna abandon her family and live in a wormhole with alien Pokemon. Not for long at least, because she gets spit out of the wormhole seconds after you arrive to try and rescue her, and when you enter instead to fight Necrozma, she decides: "Hey Lillie, let's just forget all this happened and move on in life. THere's some evil crap going on in the wormhole so let's just mind out own business." The freaking end. And let's not forget we finally get to have her husband and herself reunite. But despite Mohn obviously interested in Lusamine, Lusamine is like: "Oh, hey. Yeah maybe one day we can work together on our separate projects or something. See ya!" And why didn't she tell the man he has a wife, and TWO CHILDREN??? Oh, cuz he's finally smiling again. Did they have a bad relationship perhaps? Was she glad to see him happy again? Maybe. I dunno! But the fact she didn't have the decency to let this man know he is closer to her work in Aether than he knows, and is part of a fortune! And has CHILDREN! It makes NO SENSE!!! And gladion shoulda just slapped her and told his father the truth imo.

3. I don't wanna make this too long, so let's move on to the story. Listen, I hated when ppl were complaining about how it's the same game as SM for the most part. The way I feel is that, we haven't had a "third" game since Platinum. We got B2W2 and then ORAS. Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, were all repeats of the same previous game, ok? So ranting on the similarity of Ultra SM to SM is hypocritical if you ask me. You can't praise "third" games but hate on Ultra version. However, my complaint is not only was it so similar, but it REMOVED the best, emotional parts of SM that gave the game any kind of separation from the same save the world story of the entire franchise, and replaced them all with trash! Example are above. That's what got me so bothered. So I'm just traveling through a WORSE version of Alola. SM was a good game, and it's even better BECAUSE of how bad Ultra version is! And Ultra, it's ok... but it's even WORSE because of the fact it's some new version of something that already exists, but is a horrible version of it! These four games help two of the games, and destroy the other two. It's insane.

4. Any positives? YES! I LOVED the Necrozma battles, especially the one at the Victory Road. The entire scene in the ice surroundings and with Colress appearing. It was aesthetic and just beautiful. And the connection of Necrozma with the Z stones was a solid explanation when compared to the still unresolved explanation for Mega Stones.

Final notes: Will Z Stones stay in Alola? Were they welcome to begin with? I think they added a brilliant new touch to battle, but I don't think they were appreciated like they deserved. I also feel like they should stay in Alola, but I don't see that happening. They never just get rid of a feature, right? Is the Alola series the worst in the series to date? XY initially was loved in early reviews but now, from what I've seen, is Still the most hated game. I've felt like Nintendo has rushed games too much and hope they don't feel the need to put out a Pokemon game EVERY year. With this rushed feeling to their games recently, not only from me but numerous people online, I'm thinking their biggest flaw is the desire to put out games yearly. Some believe stories belong in books and don't need to be in games, which is outright wrong by even the most novice of any reviewers. Stories in game are enriching and while many of my favorite games need no story at all, a detail and engaging one is one of the greatest aspects of some games, and with SM, I think that for the most part, they nailed that decently enough.

One concern I will end on are "poketubers." Growing up, all I had were commercials to tell me about the new Pokemon games, and I had to depend on that to keep my interest in the series. Now, we have youtubers who make Pokemon videos and theories and overhype games with leaks and rumors to the point where when the game comes out, we think we're going to choose Arceus, Mewtwo and Mega Kanga as our starters, and have to stab a stake through the vampire leader of the villainous team leader or the planet will be infected with cancer, and we end up with a normal Pokemon game we then hate because we expected too much... All in all, I think it's harder for GF/Nintendo to produce a new Pokemon game that will be appreciated these days compared to the simpler times without overpromotion and all the insanity of making money off of views covering another person's video game. So, *sips* here's to well wishes for Gen 8!

This is just my opinion, so feel free to speak on yours too.

UltraSound
04-11-2018, 04:14 PM
"my complaint is not only was it so similar, but it REMOVED the best, emotional parts of SM that gave the game any kind of separation from the same save the world story of the entire franchise, and replaced them all with trash"

You just said there everything I was wanting to hear anyone other than me say, honestly.
S/M had an amazingly touching story (in my opinion) that very much derived from the usual save the world garbage - but didn't do so great content wise; the post game was to just finish the dex, basically.
US/UM fixed the post game content with 2 minigames and while not everyone absolutely loved them, I really appreciate that they added some more replayability (is that a word??) and something other than battles and breeding. But the story took every single twist and turn that made S/M's story good and threw it out of the window. An abusive mother, gone mad due to her husband disappearing, disowning her children to obsess over aliens to the point where she merges with one and you have to battle her AND the beast as one being? She was so deranged that she wouldn't listen to her children attempt to tell her that what she was doing could be extremely dangerous not only to herself, but others around.
In USUM? Nah. She just suddenly with no real apparent reason decides that actually yeah Lillie you have a point maybe I won't fly off the handle. That's...boring. That DESTROYED all good in S/M's version of the story. "Retelling" my left butt cheek, what they did to the story was ruin it.
About the relationship between Lusamine and Mohn - while I can see how "maybe they had a difficult relationship" could be a good reason for Lusamine acting the way she did - aCTUALLY IT'S NOT honestly??? Mohn has 2 children under the age of 15 thinking their father is gone for good and Lusamine decides to just drop the whole issue after finding out he's alive. I was really excited when I saw the scene start for the first time - FINALLY, some closure! Gladion and Lillie get to reunite with their dad and whoops the scene's gone and my hate for Lusamine is just growing stronger and stronger.
The story ending in S/M with Lillie leaving was a very emotional ending with Hau crying and Lillie wanting to save her mother and grow more independent, with Gladion taking responsibility of Aether. USUM, as expected, throws that out of the window and just sends Gladion away, leaving Lillie behind once again, with Lillie returning to her possibly still deranged mother who refuses to let her children know their father is alive. It feels like S/M was the good ending and USUM was the bad ending.
The more I write about this the more mad I get, so I oughta stop. All I've done is complain about the story anyway. Gamewise, USUM was a step forward. Gamewise, I can only hope for things to get better.
Storywise, USUM ruined SM for me. I no longer have those fond feelings for Alola that I had about a year ago. Maybe one day nostalgia will bring those feelings back, but until then, it's just a memory of a great story ruined.

S.A. Natsu
04-11-2018, 04:57 PM
There is one last note I also had and that was about the "Villains" in Alola. The consensus seems to be that the Aether Foundation was the villainous group, but that I think is entirely wrong. Like it or not, the villainous group was in fact Team Skull! They had no real plan to take over or anything, but they were the criminals. Aether Foundation was a reserve for Pokemon run by good people, but the president, Lusamine, was the lunatic. And those who tried to stop you who worked for the Foundation were mostly just scared to go against the boss, likely knowing what she's capable of doing ie murder. And in the end Aether is still running and the workers are free to do what they were wanting to, which was to help Pokemon. Not to mention, the flip side is that not all of Team Skull was evil. Plumeria actually is a rather nice girl overall and helps you in the end and wants you to help save Guzma. So it's like, the bad guys had a good heart and the good guys had an evil leader, but I can't see an argument that Aether was at all the villainous team. This brings me to the problem in Alola... what exactly was the point of Team Skull!! I found them funny and amusing, and guzma seemed intimidating, but they do NOTHING! They are literally, plotwise at least, the absolute worst team in the franchise. With Aether using them to steal stuff, the entire "Team" is just a bunch of grunts essentially! Guzma included. How lacking and pointless they end up being hurts realizing they were nothing at all but comedy, leaving Alola, in essence, arguably without a villainous team at all! (almost) That's how little their effect on the game was. Just had that last idea in my head for a couple days. Think that sums up Alola for me.

UltraSound
04-11-2018, 05:35 PM
I really wanted to disagree with you on Team Skull being possibly the worst of the teams ever when compared to other teams, but I can't. I'd be lying.
Even so, I absolutely love Team Skull, and Guzma. Even if they had no point, I can appreciate the message they deliver. They're a bunch of losers trying to put on a tough face over cracked emotions - a lot of the grunts are just a little different from the "normal folks" of the island. They're the ones who took a wrong turn in life, but are still just trying to get by. They're no real criminals, they just want to look tough. That's emphasized with Guzma's implied backstory of abuse. Team Skull to me just feels like a bunch of broken people who look out for each other and try to fake they're cool. But they all know they're mess ups. In the end, I feel like they find peace in that. Guzma might not become a captain and he might be from a tough family, but he knows how to run his grunts. The grunts find piece in their weird, new family.
Or I'm just looking into it a bit too much. They're pointless, yes, but they make me feel a little better about myself in a way. Like even if you're a mess up, there's other mess ups that'll stick together with you through hard times, showing you're not alone, kind of thing.

S.A. Natsu
04-11-2018, 05:52 PM
Trust me, I didn't want to call them the worst villains. I REALLY tried to not have to make that statement... "a lot of the grunts are just a little different from the "normal folks" of the island. They're the ones who took a wrong turn in life, but are still just trying to get by" this makes me think of the "Punk" trainers who wear almost identical clothing to the Skull Grunts. Perhaps on their way to being Skull grunts or at a crossroads perhaps. Which almost makes me think while i finish reading your post, what happened to Skull in Ultra? Like, in SM we see they are shut down but they have activities. Some Grunts are helping out Hala, etc, but I don't really remember seeing any further info on them in Ultra. Or I just didn't care enough to look possibly.... An interesting thing is the manga. I don't read it (but i ought to it looks fantastic) but in the manga the villains and stories are so much darker and better than ANYTHING the game or anime ever dare touch on. You can mega multiple pokemon at once, there's death, deep sadness, the legends play real roles. It's amazing, and i was reading a little about Guzma and he is just AWESOME! He's abusive and will slap a Grunt in a hurry, and even seems abusive towards himself when he fails in battle, smashing his face in the floor til his glasses broke into shards in his own face. And he seems to have control over some Ultra Beasts! Was this just impossible to add into the game?? I know they dont want the games to be too dark and that's fine, but i read snippets of the manga and get goosebumps. I play a whole game and get... what we got??

UltraSound
04-11-2018, 07:37 PM
On the grunts, according to Bulbapedia; "One Grunt becomes an apprentice chef under Mallow in Konikoni City, while two others in the Po Town Pokémon Center offer a Skull Tank for sale in order for them to make enough money to leave. Others are taken by Hala to train in Iki Town, deciding to become a rescue team and dubbing themselves "Team Reskull" (Japanese: タスカル団 Tasukaru-dan, literally Rescue Gang)"
I like how they implemented like an almost "rehab" for some of the grunts. They're trying to get back into society as productive members rather than troublemakers.
What comes to manga Guzma - while I really dislike the thought of him slapping any of his grunts, I think if his implied backstory is true, I find it very sadly realistic of him to just hit one of his own on a whim. I understand they would never go that far in the games (and that's honestly a bummer, I would die for a more mature pokemon game with a more dark storyline - S/M was really dancing on the line already. I really want them to step over it.
I both hate and love the idea of a more serious/adult toned pokemon game. On the other hand, I love that there's still games being made that aren't 110% shooting and death and violence and drama - would I really want that in my pokemon game? Or anything borderline to that? Pokemon's always been my go to place for a happy time with not too many troubling things. S/M was grand, though. Just push it a liiiiiiiiiiiittle over the line. Not 1 meter, like, half a meter. I REALLY hope they don't go back to all the happy go lucky saving the world wow you're a hero thing after gen 7.

S.A. Natsu
04-11-2018, 07:50 PM
Guzma was said to be very abusive even in the games. His chair in Po Town is beaten as if by angry fists, and the grunts state things like him being angry and abusive, so to see it actually done in the manga I think is more than fitting. I kinda had wished he was a bit more mean in the game. Like, we had these goofy grunts trying to be tough, but Guzma actually supposedly was the rough guy, but we never saw anything of it. His team was fairly tough depending on what Pokemon you were running, but I just wished there was more to Guzma at the very least. It seems the manga will give some information, but the games kinda just made him SEEM mean and end up being a good guy with a hard heart. Including Ultra where he actually helps you with Rainbow Rocket, which I enjoyed. Pokemon definitely doesnt need to go too far in mature content. They don't even need any at all honestly. There's plenty of kid friendly games with great content. Even great games with next to no story were commonplace. I dont even think it'd be too difficult to think up a game like that. It's just on the company to actually implement it, which hopefully they will continue doing after what they had for Alola.

UltraSound
04-12-2018, 03:11 PM
His "redemption" and actually being the good guy - kind of - was super cool to me. I could go into detail about how but I might write another essay length explanation of my love for Guzma, but I'll spare you from it. TL;DR, he's more dimensional than many other characters in the games. Or in the series in general. He has a backstory, other than "he's evil cause he thinks differently from the world and wants to change it". He's not a bad guy...he's just been treated bad. People who are treated bad tend to grow up treating others bad.

Quick addition to my storyline rant: If S/M didn't exist and USUM were the first games we got of Alola, would I have liked the story then? My biggest issue with USUM was that it ruined S/M's story. If USUM were first, there would've been nothing to ruin yet. It would've just been a really lukewarm story with missed opportunities. I still feel like S/M would've been a story upgrade to USUM even if their release dates were switched.

As for the next story, after the fiasco that was USUM, I'm really not sure how I feel. I'm not sure if I'm SUPER looking forward to the next story, or not at all. I don't know what to expect, and I hate it - S/M made me think that wow, I'm definitely going to buy these games for the story more than anything else from now on. (Yes, people that play pokemon for the story exist. Hi.) USUM made me think "uhhhhhhhh, I might not get Switch..."
I have absolutely no idea whether the story will suck or be awesome. I hate that. I really hate that there seems to be no real like, middle way with these things. I don't think I'm finding the right words to explain what I mean with this... I guess I was just hoping that I could pick up the new game and know it's going to be good. I'm in for an adventure. But I can't be sure of that anymore. And I don't like that.

S.A. Natsu
04-12-2018, 04:19 PM
About the people who are mistreated often mistreat others thing. That actually kind of was one thing I don't like about Guzma. When I saw he had likely a bad childhood or at least a bad father (he won awards so he didn't have much of a bad childhood) that actually made me cringe a bit. I'm not a fan of cliches and stereotypes since they often are not true. Yeah abused people CAN hurt other but abused can also be some of the kindest and because they were abused they choose to never treat others like that. Bullies disliking someone because deep down they are whatever, it's just not always the case at all. Some people are just genuine jerks who had a great life and think they run the planet lol. I wished we had more Guzma and more insight into him. I liked his appeal to lusamine in SM to the point she wanted the kids out the wormhole but that Guzma could stay. Said a lot there.

Like I said in my first post, Ultra was ruined by SM. I'm sure Ultra would have been better by itself. However, taking Ultra as its own game it is still itself not as good a story as SM was, regardless. It answered a lot of things, but it was also emptier in other places. But yes it would have been "better" alone. Reversing the release dates I might instead say may have felt backwards because SM lacked a lot of extras from Ultra. Funny enough I feel like it might hurt SM coming after Ultra because of why Ultra brought us, unless you mean Ultra came out with less content and all the extras like RR were put into SM which would be freaking incredible.

I'm excited for more Pokémon, despite Ultra. It was still decent enough and RR seriously saved it. I HOPE because it's on switch it OBVIOUSLY will be like the best game ever. Sadly I think we've been accustomed to disappointment now. This brings me back to my point about poketubers overprotecting the future games with BS and leakers, leaving us with no surprises, and even worse, high expectations from rumors that never come true. I sincerely miss knowing ONLY that new games were coming. Now there's: ash is coming to the game, Fourth stage evolutions coming, hard mode returning, choose to be a villain, (in making this up obviously) and then the game actually arrives and you can't help but feel like oh... .___.

UltraSound
04-13-2018, 03:30 PM
I think the reason why he was portrayed the way he was is cause it wouldn't necessarily suit a kids game to have someone who grew up with abuse turning out just fine and kind. That would be a kind of a twisted message about the consequences. Working with kids gives me a kind of different perspective on this; a lot of them have no clue about consequences. That includes the consequences of bullying, for an example. I know it's cliché, overused and seen a thousand times, but it's a message I would never turn down no matter how many times I see it. But I do 110% understand being tired of it.

I was speaking only storywise - I agree that SM was a lot emptier in content when compared to Ultra. If we got things like the sticker collecting, RR episode, wormholes, surfing and random pokemon you could interact with along the way etc AND the storyline of SM, we'd have a borderline perfect game. But we got an empty game with a cool story, and the following a game with more content but a bad story. 50% and 50%. Never a 100%. And yeah, that last line you said there, that's what I meant!

I feel like that's a choice, though. It's a choice to watch poketubers in leak season, it's a choice to read up on rumors, it's a choice to believe the things that are rather obviously false. People really need to learn to like, hold their hype in place. Like when there were "leaks" of new starters, I instantly started the gears in my head; Gen 7 started really bad with literally every single pokemon in it leaking out for all to see way before the release, the starters even earlier. There's just absolutely no way they'd make the same mistake again. The art style and design didn't look entirely convincing to my eye either. I chose not to believe the "leaks". It's a choice to not get your hopes up about literally ANYTHING until it's officially announced or released. I let myself feel hyped when I go pick up the physical game and boot it up. Until then, I hold my horses. And gently pet them, cause horses deserve to be pet.

S.A. Natsu
04-13-2018, 04:41 PM
I feel like it would have been fine to have A character abused as a child but turn out ok actually. It could be motivational for kids in those same situations to be strong and always do the right thing. A quote from Mewtwo comes to mind. That's the circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant. It's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are. That would have been fine for kids. Not to mention, this is Pokémon. Type: Null is implied to be a collection of dead Pokémon DNA, and lusamine has a room FULL of frozen Pokémon. And have you seen dex info this gen?? I swear it's purposely gory for no reason.

Did you like sticker collecting? I liked getting totem Pokémon (sort of it actually made no sense) but the method was a bit... stupid. Like, why are there stickers?? I also wish talking to random Pokémon actually did... SOMETHING! It was so strange, promising, and amounted to nothing. Like tipping in XY only better.

There is a choice but then there's just running into leaks. I can't escape the latest leaks if I wanted to, which I do. just going to YouTube to see some world news only to see a "suggestion" about some Pokémon news. These guys make money the more vids they do so they just force as much BS as possible out and getting away is harder every year. I got very hype for SM due to it. I'm really only after Alola fully understanding how all this hype stuff works and I'm sure Nintendo themselves, as picky as they are about deleting vids with their game content in it, know the promotion and overhype does help sales, and they give free games to these same people. I'd say it's a limited choice to get hype about leaks though. I mean if you're being told a game is gonna have your favorite feature of all time and then you see it doesn't, you've got to feel just a bit sad and wonder why they actually didn't do it. But the main thing is avoiding. Just wanting to see some cool fanart will somehow lead you to some spoiler you didn't expect. It's how i first heard about zoraora.

UltraSound
04-14-2018, 08:57 AM
I do see your point, I probably wouldn't have complained had there been a character who's been bullied but turns out fine. Still, I'm relatively happy with the way Guzma is. I actually really like the really weird and kind if gory dex entries. I know it's just pokemon and all that, but it makes the world feel more realistic. Like, pokemon are friends, cute and all that, but they're also very dangerous, just like many real animals.

I liked it, yes, having grown up with collectathons has made me rather masochistic about collecting things in games. Was the method dumb? Yes. Did stickers being the thing you collect make any sense? Nope. Did I enjoy it nevertheless? Yup.

Yeah, there's also running into 'em. I learned about Zeraora through browsing Left 4 Dead 2 mods. There's sometimes no escape from these things and yeah, it sucks. I didn't mean to come off as blaming, but rereading what I wrote that's kind of what it sounds like, wasn't my intention. For the next explanation, keep that in mind, I'm not blaming, just making suggestions on how to avoid things like that;
Youtube suggests you videos based on what you've watched, so if you watch a lot of pokemon related stuff, it'll show you pokemon related stuff. Clearing your history will reset the suggested videos, removing the potential leaks. It's rather bothersome, but it's pretty much the only way I can come up with to browse youtube safely. Or get some sort of browser addon that stops every video with the word pokemon or leak being in it from showing up in your feed.
"if you're being told a game is gonna have your favorite feature of all time and then you see it doesn't, you've got to feel just a bit sad and wonder why they actually didn't do it."
This one is relatively easy to fix; believe it when you see it, never before it. Just, never believe hear say, no matter how convincing it may be. I've heard rumors about my favourite features coming back like walking with your pokemon having 2 regions, but I refuse to believe either. If they end up not being in the game, that's completely fine, and I won't be disappointed. I'm not expecting them to. If they do end up in the game it'll just be a pleasant surprise. This might not be the most positive quote of the day, but if you never expect anything good then everything that turns out to be good, even the small things come up as a nice surprise.
Fanart is the very last thing you should search when in leak season, tbh.

S.A. Natsu
04-14-2018, 03:51 PM
I don't mean that I just believe in leaks, because overall I do not until i actually see the truth. I just mean if a leak claims some amazing feature or Pokémon, and I choose to not believe it, then the game comes out and it in fact was not true, you still may think like" ok ha I was right it's false. But... why DIDNT they do that... it could have been doc great." I also get your point that just not believing it and enjoying the game for what it is can combat that disappointment. I think when there's like 50,000 leaks and claim vids, and like only three of them came true, you're like overwhelmed by all the hype hurricane and the final result can feel underwhelming. It's just the HYPE! Like even if you're good a thing dodging leaks the hype itself can even bring up expectations sometimes. I just wish people would chill and stop leaking, and I wish GF would kinda step themselves up. On a close related note, I think they're been releasing games too constantly. Maybe they should take their time a bit. XY was incomplete, SM and Ultra are essentially the same, even the BW/2 games, essentially were in the same region with minor fixes. I've been wondering for a long while now if they're just reusing similar builds and models for their games JUST to put out more product to sell, resulting in at times lesser quality products.

UltraSound
04-14-2018, 04:23 PM
I suppose I don't mind enough to ask why they didn't implement thing X. :P If I cared enough about something, I would obviously want to know. But a lot of time it's easy to just take it as a no and deal with it for the time being.

I wish GF and/or Nintendo would say something about the false leaks some time. Make a statement or some sort, I dunno. I'm not sure if it would do anything about the "zomg starters totes leaked guise watch my vid" poops...but it'd be something.

I feel like the issue isn't ~necessarily~ that they reuse things over and over, but more that they focus on the things that really don't matter to anyone, stuff no one cares about. AKA the stupid photo club. That was hyped in a video about how it's this super cool and exciting thing that they can't wait to see what people use it for.
For me, I'm just reminded it exists every time my pokemon evolves in the game. Thanks, Rotom, but no. I bought the game to play pokemon, not to pretend like I'm on instagram.
They've focused their energy on a lot of really weird and stupid things imo. They put effort in places that no one really cares about.
I HATE to be this negative, but GF/Nintendo are big companies, big companies want money, putting too much effort or time into a game that we'll all buy anyway isn't really worth the time when they can get all the muns with less effort. Sure, there's people making the games that are really passionate about what they do - but there's a large difference between a passionate person working on someone elses project with deadlines pushing in and a money hungry company breathing in their neck, and a passionate person working on their own time. I realize it's stupid to compare a big corporate being to some indie stuff but here I am, doing that anyway.
I'm not one to say big companies are literally the devil, but I just can't bring myself to assume they'd ever do quality over quantity for real. Maybe I'm just a dumb grump complaining for absolutely no reason, since I know I'll buy the game anyway.

S.A. Natsu
04-15-2018, 02:00 AM
I guess Nintendo just doesnt want to confirm anything. Like, they can't just denounce EVERY rumor. Doing that actually likely would just lead to even more rumors and "leaks" for them to have to follow up on as people just try to get nintendo to admit to stuff. They could just straight lie and claim the walking pokemon thing is leaked as returning, not because it actually was leaked, but just to get nintendo to admit or deny if something is in the game or not. It'd be madness. Not to mention sometimes i Just wonder exactly who and how things are leaking. Like even the real leaks. Like, how are people leaking these things? Is this an inside job? Apparently there are no repercussions because people continue leaking this stuff out, OR, it's just a marketing ploy by Nintendo?? Just a way to keep the fandom talking about it? Fake news, if you will, about leaks to keep up interest? Maybe I sound too cynical but I believe in the plausibility.

100% agree about the focusing on BS. That photoshop I ADMIT was actually very fun, for a little bit... but i dont use it anymore, and so much could have been done for the game instead of that nonsense. I was checking out a cutscene just today, and last night, while in Konikoni City. You enter the first time and a Delibird is flying by and greets a Probopass. Cute, but... WHY?!? This and a NUMBER Of other scenes in the games give some kind of "life" one might argue and makes it engaging but it honestly... doesn't! Like, I can live without this "life" and "engagement" and "enrichment" these stupid cutscenes are supposedly adding to the game, or at least make them more interactive somehow. The Vulpix saved by Aether that you play with constantly, and Vulpix ends up loving you and cuddling with you, for Aether to just be like: "yeah thanks for visiting day after day! Now we're just gonna release it!" HEY! How about giving ME it??? It's like they give you hope and intrigue about something in the game and it's for absolutely nothing. As I mentioned before, the Pokemon you play with. Intrigue, but for what? It doesn't change, or go anywhere, and it jsut makes me feel like SOMETHING else coulda been in place of it.

UltraSound
04-16-2018, 05:30 PM
I don't think it's too much reaching to say some of the leaks are intentional. Hasbro has been proven to leak things intentionally and then proceed to make changes according to how people react. I just think it's smart. Pandering, perhaps. But isn't that kind of what you need to do to make sales?
I don't believe ALL leaks are intentional. How they happen is anyone's guess. There was a 4chan thread about a translator hinting at new Pokémon and a new region and all that stuff and that I understand, obviously translators are a "danger spot" for leaks. But when things like screenshots of the game (supposedly) and official character reference art leaks (that actually happened) we have a bigger stew in the pot that I'm finding a hard time to explain.

While I have the controversial opinion of liking more cutscenes in the games, I highly dislike the random small cutscenes that break you out of getting from place A to place B, like the Nosepass/Delibird thing. I really wish I could witness things happen automatically rather than to have to activate them myself, you know? Like birds flying above me when I run through a route. That's cool and makes the world feel living. Maybe have birds land on the ground picking for food or something and take off when you get close, or have a poochyena jump into a bush to hide from you when it sees you coming, or just have random wild pokemon interact with each other, ~WITHOUT ACTIVATING A CUTSCENE.~ I LOVED seeing the Bewear walking about near the Battle Tree, and Magmar near that...um. Mountain. Thing. Please. More of that. Moooooooooore.
Also, agreed. Don't lead people on. If I need to come back for the Vulpix, give it to me in the end what did I do this for

S.A. Natsu
04-16-2018, 06:38 PM
"Like birds flying above me when I run through a route. That's cool and makes the world feel living. Maybe have birds land on the ground picking for food or something and take off when you get close, or have a poochyena jump into a bush to hide from you when it sees you coming, or just have random wild pokemon interact with each other, ~WITHOUT ACTIVATING A CUTSCENE.~ I LOVED seeing the Bewear walking about near the Battle Tree, and Magmar near that...um. Mountain. Thing. Please. More of that. Moooooooooore." THIS is what I'm talking about here. I saw a Dugtrio yesterday digging around in Diglett Tunnel/Cave/Whatever. Just great and not just a time wasting scene. I can watch that Dugtrio and CHOOSE to waste my time doing so without it being a cut scene I can't skip and has zero purpose. When it's just in the game as something you can choose to watch, the point of it is up to you. When you're forced to view it, you EXPECT there to be a point, and it never arrives.

Also, another point on the topic of good guys/villains/whatevers... wtf was Recon Squad???? WHY?! They were.... aliens??? That look just like humans... Ok, yano what... fine. I'll.... "accept" that. Ok. But wtf was their point?? They did help explain the origins of Z Crystals and the connection to Necrozma (something we got two separate answers for regarding mega stones... Originated in Kalos? Originated in Hoenn from Rayquaza? Why am i getting two answers??) and I liked that, but Recon Squad for the sake of Recon Squad. What a disappointment of a group. Very boring. Nothing to do in their world. No view of how they even found a Poipole. Like, their universe could have been what they did in GSC/HGSS. It could have been a whole new "region" of sorts to explore and find UBs and do stuff in.

And on another note in addition to this, I hated the wormhole. My fingers HURT every time i explore in those things and it's not even all that fun. A lot of effort just to find a pokemon. I feel like it's just too much to do to result in locating a single pokemon, legend or not. Shiny or not.

UltraSound
04-17-2018, 02:23 PM
"When you're forced to view it, you EXPECT there to be a point, and it never arrives. "
Couldn't have said it better.
Extra love points also go for Wimpod! I loved chasing 'em around.

"What a disappointment of a group"
They were literally like 4 people lol
only 2 in one game actually
the rest of the alien are just IMPLIED to live in that city thing you find Necrozma in. (I can not remember it's name. I did not care about it, at all.) It's really hard to imagine that a whole civilization lives there when all you see is the same 2 people.

Aw man, sorry you feel that way! Guess it's not for everyone. I've spent the majority of my post game in those holes - and there's still something in there I haven't seen yet. I accidentally spoiled myself about it though, so that's a bummer, but I'm still looking forward to seeing it!
(Speaking very cryptically about it to avoid spoilers, the chances of seeing the thing are very low)

S.A. Natsu
04-17-2018, 02:55 PM
Well when you save the city and click on the buildings it says there are people celebrating inside. You just.... never see them e__e

Yeah there were only like two people but are still the Ultra Recon "Squad." I guess it's like Team Rocket but Poipole?

What thing did you see?? Can you put it I need spoilers tag? Not to mention it's been months. I think spoilers are beyond fair game now lol

UltraSound
04-17-2018, 07:50 PM
Yeah, that's a good example of "show, don't tell". What, do I need to IMAGINE the people celebrating? Stupid.

Pretty much. Except WAY lamer. I literally do not remember their names.

Yeah I know spoilers are pretty much fair game, but considering the rarity of this event and how cool I think it'll be, I want to spare others from it if I can. I won't go in to details in the spoiler.
I'm looking forward to running into Guzzlord. According to the spoiler that I saw (text, I saw no images or video) it's world supposed to be really creepy! I may be wrong about this, but I think Guzzlord only appears through double ring white holes, and even then there's like a 5% of it spawning, maybe? I've no clue how rare it is, but all I know I've spent a WHILE in the holes and still haven't seen it.

S.A. Natsu
04-18-2018, 02:29 AM
OOOO yeah i've seen it myself, or maybe it was just depictions. I dunno but i wanna see that. I haven't seen any of the other things like it either, I know there's some for Xircutry and Kartana as shown in the trailers but I havent seen any yet myself. I hate that ring thing too. Like you need to go through green holes or blue or white or whatever, and multicolored ones and two and etc. It's just too much for me to have to worry and think about. Like, I would have to basically google what ring to look for to know where whatever pokemon is hiding, before I enter, every time. It's just not too fun for me.

UltraSound
04-18-2018, 05:46 PM
Yeah. There's no dex for the holes. It makes sense for there not to be one, but it's a tad bit bothersome. It's fairly easy to remember some of them though; one of them produces only things that fly (mainly bids), one produces only water dwelling ones, whites are a guaranteed UB etc and the more rings there are, the more rare it is, except for when it's all rainbowy and stuff, then it's a legendary. My biggest issue is how there's not a whole lot to see after you've been in the holes for 30 minutes - unless you're trying to find the super low chance ones or catch legendaries. That you don't know exist if you;
1. don't look it up
2. don't have some SERIOUS luck and run into them yourself
Because you probably figured that after going through the hole 200 times you've seen it all.

I've seen Xurkitree and Kartana - not immensely exciting. Rad when you see them for the first time, but not exceedingly.

/Your misspelling of Xurkitree made me finally realize the pun in it's name, thank you!