PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Oddities

musicdude1815
11-01-2011, 04:35 PM
As a person who finds plot holes in movies and strange oddities in different forms of media, I have noticed quite a bit of oddities in the Pokemon world. If you have any you have wondered about or think you have a logical answer to one post them here and continue to number them for easier answering of the questions. I will start with two of my own below.

musicdude1815
11-01-2011, 04:37 PM
1. I can see Vigoroth's inability to go to the dream world, but how can a Pokemon with Insomnia be able to? (I actually once forgot my Drowzee in there for a few days.

2. On the same note, how can Slugma as the Pokedex states if it stops moving it cools and hardens?

pokepickle
11-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Nice points.
Hmm, On the Insomnia note, Wouldn't pokemon with that ability, Be weaker? Since they couldn't sleep at night . . . .
Also, Garchomp's Pokedex entry stats that it can fly, Yet it can't learn fly, AND A Hoot hoot can/

kakari
11-05-2011, 01:54 PM
its wiered that mew is
after mewtwo in the pokedex

Velvet
11-05-2011, 07:21 PM
I've always thought so too, kakari.

CrazyAzn89
11-06-2011, 03:46 AM
How does a Remoraid (a fish) evolve into an octopus (Octillery)?

ZoruaBoo
11-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Lol, the thing that always amazes me is that you can fit a Bike, over 100 berries, over 200 repels, tons of medicine and a fishing rod into a tiny bag!xD

UltraSound
11-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Lol, the thing that always amazes me is that you can fit a Bike, over 100 berries, over 200 repels, tons of medicine and a fishing rod into a tiny bag!xD

I wonder about that same thing EVERY TIME I open my bag. XD

Velvet
11-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Obviously the bag is just a portal to a pocket dimension. ^_^

ZoruaBoo
11-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Obviously the bag is just a portal to a pocket dimension. ^_^

That made me laugh!xD

I don't know if you would count this as an oddity, but I was surprised when there was no new eeveelutions on Black and White, it has been the only generation to do that!

CrazyAzn89
11-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Oh I got one. How can Slowking be female? Wouldn't she be called Slowqueen not Slowking?

Smugfish27
11-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Why cant Nidoqueen and Nidoking breed????

cookie9572
11-26-2011, 10:17 PM
I get it, it's weird but, don't judge, who am i kidding you guys are all right, oh, and, i think its stupid that some pokemon with genders, cant breed. ( tornadus, thundurus, ect. )

CrazyAzn89
11-27-2011, 03:08 AM
Why cant Nidoqueen and Nidoking breed????

What? Yes you can breed a Nidoqueen and Nidoking together.

Velvet
11-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Nidorina and Nidoqueen can't breed according to Serebii (http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/031.shtml). I've never tried though.

CrazyAzn89
11-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Nidorina and Nidoqueen can't breed according to Serebii (http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/031.shtml). I've never tried though.

Really? You can breed a Nidoran♀ and a Nidoran♂ together though. I know that because I've done that before.

Jon3zii
11-28-2011, 09:07 PM
How can you eat a berry while being asleep?

Velvet
11-29-2011, 02:55 AM
Or frozen!?

aviles91
11-29-2011, 09:08 PM
why can't umbreon learn bite? it has fangs and is a dark type!

CrazyAzn89
11-29-2011, 10:30 PM
why can't umbreon learn bite? it has fangs and is a dark type!

Umbreon can learn bite. If you want Umbreon to learn bite you need to teach bite on Eevee which is at level 29. Once the Eevee evolves to Umbreon it has bite.

aviles91
11-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Umbreon can learn bite. If you want Umbreon to learn bite you need to teach bite on Eevee which is at level 29. Once the Eevee evolves to Umbreon it has bite.

yeah, i meant on it's own moveset. should have clarified

kakari
12-05-2011, 09:48 PM
its cool thow i once had a vapoureon that knew the move shock wave
i taught it when it was an eevee

Jon3zii
12-06-2011, 04:49 PM
its cool thow i once had a vapoureon that knew the move shock wave
i taught it when it was an eevee

LOL! :D

CrazyAzn89
12-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Oh I got another one. How come ground attacks damage Magnemite, Magneton and Magnezone when it looks as though they are Levitating.....

musicdude1815
02-01-2013, 07:11 AM
How is it in RBY a champion in Lance will spam thunder wave on a subseeder? You would think he would know better. I would use it as a time to heal my Venasaur. lol

sebasgd
02-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Something weird is when a Nincada evolves. Where does Shedinja find a Pokeball and get (him/her)self inside?

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
02-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Something weird is when a Nincada evolves. Where does Shedinja find a Pokeball and get (him/her)self inside?

Lol I wondered that every time I got a Shedinja xD

I've never understood why Spinda is the Spot Panda Pokemon... It is so clearly a bunny.

UltraSound
02-02-2013, 10:30 AM

I've never understood why Spinda is the Spot Panda Pokemon... It is so clearly a bunny.

Eh, that's only a matter of opinion...I think it's a panda. It's ears might be a bit too long for a panda, but it's colors are a lot more like pandas.

GaryEhffinJoaker
02-02-2013, 02:07 PM

Assuming you must be joking since that thing is totally a clear bear.

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
02-02-2013, 02:37 PM

They have no egg group and theoretically wouldn't be able to breed, but Ditto is here for that.

I always find it funny how Wooper can learn Ice Punch with no arms XD

Exflar
02-02-2013, 06:53 PM
I don't know if you would count this as an oddity, but I was surprised when there was no new eeveelutions on Black and White, it has been the only generation to do that!

There were no eeveelutions in Generation 3 either.

sebasgd
02-03-2013, 12:12 AM
If the Master Ball is a unique item (only one ever made) how can you get one in every single game of every gen? XD

CammyCoolPants
02-03-2013, 03:01 AM
If the Master Ball is a unique item (only one ever made) how can you get one in every single game of every gen? XD

what I hate about the master ball is that I collect them so if I run into a shiny I wont lose it but if I trade the shiny to someone they say its fake because its in a master ball what am I meant to do with it waste it on a legendary I could catch it normally the point of a master ball is a free pass to catch a pokemon with the knowledge its yours no matter what that to me says "use me only on shinys please" does anyone else have this problem?

Exflar
02-03-2013, 09:04 AM
what I hate about the master ball is that I collect them so if I run into a shiny I wont lose it but if I trade the shiny to someone they say its fake because its in a master ball what am I meant to do with it waste it on a legendary I could catch it normally the point of a master ball is a free pass to catch a pokemon with the knowledge its yours no matter what that to me says "use me only on shinys please" does anyone else have this problem?

It's because the legitimacy of the pokemon can be questioned. Masterballs are a common item for people that hack. Pokemon that are very rare (event legendaries and shinies) when caught in a masterball tend to lose a lot of their credibility. If a person hacks masterballs, by extension and association, the person may have hacked that pokemon. That's just the way a trader's logic flows.

People familiar with novelty trading can spot signs of legitimacy in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, shinies and masterballs fall under the red flag category. One too many red flags can lead someone to have reason to believe it's a hacked pokemon. That's just the way it is.

They only ever mention its "uniqueness" in the first gen games. It's a pretty rare item but it's understood that the masterball underwent some form of mass production. You get one in every single game because it's a reward; a freebie.

UltraSound
02-03-2013, 11:42 AM

You can get more legit master balls in HG/SS by attending the Pokemon Lottery Corner in Goldenrod Radio Tower.

musicdude1815
02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
If I was the president of Silph Co. and had the tech for a master ball, I would mass produce it asap, make ungodly amounts of money, and retire to a Sevii Island

UltraSound
02-04-2013, 10:36 AM
HOW COME YOU NEVER HAVE TO EAT. 38

Fennelito'sHelp
02-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Why are there kitchens and stoves and refrigerators filled with food but not one bathroom... >.>

GaryEhffinJoaker
02-04-2013, 10:29 PM

Those are both females... >.>

Where's Mrs. Mime?

Why don't these people in the game lock their doors...? And just let us steal their rare items?

musicdude1815
02-05-2013, 04:13 AM
Ive always thought the same thing, especially the dig house in RBY. Without another exit without cut, the poor couple has people come in and out of their house to exit the city. Its no wonder the Team Rocket member so easily broke in.

UltraSound
02-05-2013, 03:26 PM
How can pokes fly, dig, teleport, cut trees down, carry you on their back when you want to cross some water and climb up mountains...
...WHILE DERPING FAINTED. 38
Logic? LOL no I'm a Pidgey, I weight 4 lbs, you weight 120 lbs...sure, I'll fly you from Johto to Kanto.

GaryEhffinJoaker
02-06-2013, 12:33 AM
How come, when Surfing, you send out Rock and Ground type Pokemon.... And they can use Dig? O.O

sebasgd
02-06-2013, 04:58 AM
How come, when Surfing, you send out Rock and Ground type Pokemon.... And they can use Dig? O.O

And how do you get the water to surf while on the ground or even in the middle of the desert?

How does the pokedex assign the numbers of the Pokemon if (theoretically) it doesn't have it's data or know about them?

And the biggest mistery ever: how can fit a huge thing (say a Wailord) inside a Pokeball?

musicdude1815
02-07-2013, 07:24 AM
This is more of an odd question, but what would happen if a a double battle had dw ninetailes and politoed against t-tar and abomasnow? What weather is it or is it an order of some sort and the last one stays?

The Kiwi Dragon
02-07-2013, 08:28 AM
This is more of an odd question, but what would happen if a a double battle had dw ninetailes and politoed against t-tar and abomasnow? What weather is it or is it an order of some sort and the last one stays?

I'd say it's whichever entered last... So it'd be sunny then raining. Then a sandstorm and then hailing...

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
02-08-2013, 09:15 PM
I'd say it's whichever entered last... So it'd be sunny then raining. Then a sandstorm and then hailing...

Yeah with weather-causing abilities the faster Pokemon's ability always kicks in first, so the slowest Pokemon will always get it's weather.

I always wonder this when I play: If pokemon are so powerful and aggressive, why do they just let humans capture them like that? I feel like they'd put up more of a fight. Especially freaky Pokemon like Rampardos; if that was real you wouldn't even have the time to send out a Pokemon before you're sent into the air by it's deadly headbutt.

The Kiwi Dragon
02-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Yeah with weather-causing abilities the faster Pokemon's ability always kicks in first, so the slowest Pokemon will always get it's weather.

I always wonder this when I play: If pokemon are so powerful and aggressive, why do they just let humans capture them like that? I feel like they'd put up more of a fight. Especially freaky Pokemon like Rampardos; if that was real you wouldn't even have the time to send out a Pokemon before you're sent into the air by it's deadly headbutt.

Garchomp would've slashed you open, Aggron would've given you extensive bleeding, and Sharpedo would've eaten you... = 0% sense...

The Kiwi Dragon
02-09-2013, 10:25 AM
My mysterious thing is how come if the Magnemite family are genderless, how come random things have gender?
Eg: Shellder/Cloyster - How does an oyster have gender? Exeggcute/Exeggcutor - A bunch of plant eggs and a egg tree have gender? WTF

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
02-09-2013, 03:53 PM
My mysterious thing is how come if the Magnemite family are genderless, how come random things have gender?
Eg: Shellder/Cloyster - How does an oyster have gender? Exeggcute/Exeggcutor - A bunch of plant eggs and a egg tree have gender? WTF

I guess since magnemite is made of metal it would stand to reason that it is genderless.... but actually plants do have 'male' and 'female' parts that can only reproduce with the opposite gender's part. And I really don't wanna explain it, but oysters can reproduce..

Exflar
02-14-2013, 05:04 AM

If the pokemon is based on an organic species (Plants, animals, fungi, bacteria, etc. which all have 2-500+ genders, respectively) then one can assume the pokemon has gender. I cannot think of a real life organism that does not have at least one gender. Oysters and other mollusks have hermaphroditic organs. Believe it or not, plants and fungi (Exeggcute and Exeggutor are actually seeds, look up the dex entry) have male, female, or both male and female reproductive gametes.

When you take Biology you'll learn.

CammyCoolPants
02-14-2013, 08:06 AM
in the first pokemon movie pikachu uses some electric type move on a graveler/golem (can't remember) and faints it in one blow that really annoyed me when I first saw that its a freaking ground type NO EFFECT!!!! gah

musicdude1815
02-14-2013, 05:51 PM
in the first pokemon movie pikachu uses some electric type move on a graveler/golem (can't remember) and faints it in one blow that really annoyed me when I first saw that its a freaking ground type NO EFFECT!!!! gah

I think, in a battle against Blaine or something, Pikachu took out Blaine's Rhydon with an electric attack by "aiming for the horn".

Lunar_Clipse
02-15-2013, 09:21 AM
if lengerdaries r lengerdary why can I have 10 of the same lengerdary and how can u find 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 000000000079000000000 of dittos in pokemon if they cant breed

UltraSound
02-15-2013, 01:10 PM
...that made me think neon cat...where DO dittos come from? D:

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
02-15-2013, 11:50 PM
...that made me think neon cat...where DO dittos come from? D:

Dittos are allegedly cytoplasmic goop and in theory, they are all different, but they share that they can morph into other things. It's pretty interesting, the thought process behind Ditto. But to answer your question, they reproduce Asexually. That means one Ditto splits in half and another Ditto is formed.

I always wonder how we can use fish-based Pokemon in the middle of a mountain...

CammyCoolPants
02-16-2013, 12:02 AM
If a metang is just two beldum connected together where did they get the middle face and body from

Fennelito'sHelp
02-16-2013, 03:10 AM
If a metang is just two beldum connected together where did they get the middle face and body from

That's the evolution part. Like Charmeleon evolving to get its wings. Me rang is two Beldum, but they still evolve in their own way. They're more than just two Beldum standing next to each other, lol

CammyCoolPants
02-16-2013, 03:19 AM
That's the evolution part. Like Charmeleon evolving to get its wings. Me rang is two Beldum, but they still evolve in their own way. They're more than just two Beldum standing next to each other, lol

then how do robots evolve without human intervention its not like it has DNA and and without DNA something can't evolve unless it is given an upgrade which is technology's only way of evolution

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
02-16-2013, 03:34 AM
then how do robots evolve without human intervention its not like it has DNA and and without DNA something can't evolve unless it is given an upgrade which is technology's only way of evolution

Well the Beldum fammily is allegedly intelligent; I guess it could have built a body when it evolves

CammyCoolPants
02-16-2013, 03:49 AM
Well the Beldum fammily is allegedly intelligent; I guess it could have built a body when it evolves

But where does it get the parts from that would intergrate with its programing