PDA

View Full Version : Wanna live on Mars?????

jessboofish
05-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Ok first off this discussion is aimed at maybe 17+ people here who can critically read and think but anyone can comment if you wish. Look at the site first http://applicants.mars-one.com/

I wanna know what peoples' reactions are to this? Would you go to mars even with the potential health risks? Will there be war over the now obtainable property? Will countries battle to own an entire planet? If that happens will they want to own Earth too? If it's all run by corporations instead of politics what does that mean for the growing gap for the rich and poor? There's just so many questions that come out of this. I mean I'm a pretty adventurous person but... I don't think I could trust people enough for me to go to mars permanently worrying about resources that have to be sent from Earth. Way too much risk of being stranded...

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
05-03-2013, 01:33 AM
Personally, I would never do so until they make further developments in the program. As it is right now, it would be a difficult life to adjust to, and part of the volunteering is setting up a human presence, so that when more humans go there, it's pretty normal for us already. I doubt wars will occur over the property in space yet, but only because we lack the technology to fight a war in space as of right now. We've had wars that were an attempt to conquer Earth before (Second Reich, WWII, Mongols, etc.) so a war over Mars wouldn't surprise me. It would be an entirely different battle dynamic, so to figure out everything would be very difficult. For the gap of the rich and the poor, it all depends on the outcome of the country. If the UN decides to make a global planet, as they intend to make Earth, it will likely close that gap over there. I feel like that will change nothing for us here. And I would fear that, but in that case, you die, but oh well then... I'd be more concerned about my cooperation with those other volunteers. If you don't get along with somebody there, you're pretty much stuck on another planet with them for a long long time. Death is bad, but I feel like living off of Earth near people you despise would be worse in the long run. My major concern would be how they intend to bring resources, such as water, over to Mars efficiently without taking too much from our supply.