PDA

View Full Version : [Gen 5] Breeding Question

pokemaster112
05-06-2013, 04:47 AM
I want to breed a pokemon with a certain moveset do i just need a male pokemon with the moveset and a ditto or do i need to have it be the same species?

Kurosaki Ichigo
05-06-2013, 06:52 AM
A male with the egg move and a Ditto will pass it down. Remember TMs are also passed down like egg moves.

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
05-06-2013, 11:59 AM
A male with the egg move and a Ditto will pass it down. Remember TMs are also passed down like egg moves.

Actually if you're using a Ditto, the other Pokemon will always act as the male so it doesn't matter what gender it really is. The only scenario where that matters (when using Ditto) is if you are breeding for a DW ability, in which case you need a female. Anyways, you can't pass Egg Moves with a Ditto because Egg Moves 99% of the time are only available from a different species, so the female would be the Pokemon you want and the Male would be a compatible Pokemon with an Egg Move you want.

reshilegend
05-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Actually if you're using a Ditto, the other Pokemon will always act as the male so it doesn't matter what gender it really is. The only scenario where that matters (when using Ditto) is if you are breeding for a DW ability, in which case you need a female. Anyways, you can't pass Egg Moves with a Ditto because Egg Moves 99% of the time are only available from a different species, so the female would be the Pokemon you want and the Male would be a compatible Pokemon with an Egg Move you want.

You can't breed for DW abilities with Ditto. Also if you have a male egg move pokemon and breed it with a ditto, the egg move can be passed down. So that means Ditto can be used for egg move breeding but only if you have a male egg move pokemon which you can get by breeding with regular pokemon (not ditto).

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
05-06-2013, 11:25 PM
You can't breed for DW abilities with Ditto. Also if you have a male egg move pokemon and breed it with a ditto, the egg move can be passed down. So that means Ditto can be used for egg move breeding but only if you have a male egg move pokemon which you can get by breeding with regular pokemon (not ditto).

If you have a Pokemon of that species with the Egg Move you want, there's no purpose for breeding. You may as well just use the one you have. Egg Move breeding only counts if you're transfering a move from one species to another, otherwise it's just breeding and totally pointless unless you messed up EV training on this Pokemon, but in such a case it would be easier to just use the original Parents anyways. So yes, Ditto can be used, but pointlessly. It has no grounds to be used predominantly in any way for Egg Move breeding. It's good for data, natures, and IV breeding and that's about it.

reshilegend
05-07-2013, 05:45 PM
If you have a Pokemon of that species with the Egg Move you want, there's no purpose for breeding. You may as well just use the one you have. Egg Move breeding only counts if you're transfering a move from one species to another, otherwise it's just breeding and totally pointless unless you messed up EV training on this Pokemon, but in such a case it would be easier to just use the original Parents anyways. So yes, Ditto can be used, but pointlessly. It has no grounds to be used predominantly in any way for Egg Move breeding. It's good for data, natures, and IV breeding and that's about it.

I just said that it is possible, I didn't mean to say that it's always needed. Also, natures and IV breeding are pretty useful imo (unless you don't care about the stats). And of course the easiest way to get the nature you want is ditto+ everstone, so why not pass down the egg move if you have the opportunity? ;)
You could use that pokemon for DW breeding and other stuff after that. You're right that you have to breed for an egg move with other pokemon first, but I just wanted to explain that passing down egg moves with ditto is possible, nothing more. :)