PDA

View Full Version : Changes in Competitive Battling and the Fairy-type

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
06-18-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm just wondering how everyone thinks competitive battling will be changed due to the Fairy-type. Specifically, a few topics I'm wondering about:

Which Pokemon do you think will change tiers because of the Fairy-type?
Which 6th gen Pokemon will be in what tiers? (Not that we know stats yet, just speculation based on types.)
How will metagame be changed?
How will Marill, Gardevoir, and Jigglypuff be changed as far as use?

Just wondering opinions. Personally I know that if Azumarill keeps the Fairy-type when Marill evolves, it will definitely move into OU and be very frequently used, due to STAB over Dragons accompanied by Huge Power. Gardevoir will probably move up to at least UU, since it's skills as a decent Cleric are now being accompanied by STAB over Dragon. Jigglypuff (and likely Wigglytuff) will probably still be very, very unused, unless they get a major stat revamp.

I think Garchomp will move down to UU with Azumarill flaunting it's power in the tier, and if Fairy-type gets priority moves, it will definitely send a lot more Dragons down to at least UU, like Haxorus and Salamence. Assuming rumors that Fairy is weak to Poison and Steel, I think we will see a lot more Steel-types in OU as well as Poison-types.

Any thoughts?

Porygon-ZZZ
06-22-2013, 10:21 PM
You forgot to mention Hydreigon >_> but I think that Fairy's will be very weak .-. Due to the fact they have an advantage over dragons... And many other factors I'm to lazy to put down.

LinuxUser
06-22-2013, 10:23 PM
if I get x or y I would add a a azumarill with ice punch, a fairy type move, roll out and surf. that would be the ultimate azumarill

Kamina
06-22-2013, 10:33 PM
With the introduction to fairy type i predict
#1 the move Outrage becoming a lot less common since steel is no longer the only type with resists it and it prevents the Pokemon from switching.

#2 Even with the introduction to fairy type i don't not automatically see dragon type Pokemon moving down in usage. Dragon types are still notorious for being able to learn a variety of types of moves. Haxorous might be moved down to UU since its usually always a phisical attacker and its phisical move coverage is not that great, but pokemon such as Salamance (which are usually mix), Garchomp (nice bulk and speed and sp att [for fireblast]) and dragonite will most likely continue to stay and dominate in OU.

#3 Unless we learn what fairy type is actually weak its hard to speculate weather current pokemon who will become fairy type will move up or down in usage. however I am Fairly certain that jigglypuff and azumaril will still be in NU (intuition >_<).

The metagame will most certinly change like it did from Gen 3 to Gen 4 and Gen 4 to gen 5 ( i didn't play the earlier versions competitively) but as to how they will change i am not exactly sure unless we find out more about the new types of fairy pokemon and there stats and moves

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
06-23-2013, 02:28 AM
#3 Unless we learn what fairy type is actually weak its hard to speculate weather current pokemon who will become fairy type will move up or down in usage. however I am Fairly certain that jigglypuff and azumaril will still be in NU (intuition >_<).

Lol Azumarill is in UU, actually xD That's why I thought Azumarill would definitely move up, not much of a change. It gets used in OU anyways. Although if outrage does go down in use that would be great.. Like seriously, great.

Kamina
06-23-2013, 05:30 AM
oh i was thinking of azurill and maril when talking about the NU >_<
not azumaril x3

Phrog
10-09-2013, 03:27 AM
Addressing an old thread here, but something of note is that this generation there is no moveset that will allow a pokemon to be supereffective against every other single type of pokemon (excluding pokes with two types). I have been running a mixed-attacking expert belt Lucario with Aura Sphere (fighting), Ice Punch (ice), Crunch (dark), and Earthquake (ground) with some luck. These four types allow super effectiveness on the 17 current types. Now that Fairy type is not weak to any of these types, my Expert Lucario will be a bit less effective. No other combination of moves will accommodate this change (Normal and Electric types having only one weakness each limit any other possibilities), so expert belters in general will be a bit affected by the new type.

But, with that said, I'm glad to see a new way to slay dragons. And what's better than the unassuming myriad of cute and pink pokemon?

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
10-10-2013, 03:18 AM
Addressing an old thread here, but something of note is that this generation there is no moveset that will allow a pokemon to be supereffective against every other single type of pokemon (excluding pokes with two types). I have been running a mixed-attacking expert belt Lucario with Aura Sphere (fighting), Ice Punch (ice), Crunch (dark), and Earthquake (ground) with some luck. These four types allow super effectiveness on the 17 current types. Now that Fairy type is not weak to any of these types, my Expert Lucario will be a bit less effective. No other combination of moves will accommodate this change (Normal and Electric types having only one weakness each limit any other possibilities), so expert belters in general will be a bit affected by the new type.

But, with that said, I'm glad to see a new way to slay dragons. And what's better than the unassuming myriad of cute and pink pokemon?

Yeah that really sucks that we can't do that now... But take a look here: http://pokemondb.net/tools/type-coverage
We can use this to experiment with different combinations of attacking types to see what the most effective combination is now.

Best Combo I found so far is Flying - Electric - Fighting - Ground

The Batman
10-10-2013, 08:26 AM
All I know is my Huge Power Azumarill will now be a staple in my most used team.

Phrog
10-11-2013, 04:01 AM
I think I've read that moves may have dual types now? Was this ever confirmed? I suppose this will probably remedy coverage a bit. But if it's true, it's going to be more than a little bit of a pain defending. I mean, if Aggron is Steel/Rock and doubly weak to both Fighting AND Ground, at least in theory a Fighting/Ground move would deal 16x damage!? Perhaps GF would add use different mechanics for this situation. In any case, I'm hoping what I've read turns out to be just rumors.

Hope I'm not straying from your intended topics Glalie!

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
10-12-2013, 02:54 AM
I think I've read that moves may have dual types now? Was this ever confirmed? I suppose this will probably remedy coverage a bit. But if it's true, it's going to be more than a little bit of a pain defending. I mean, if Aggron is Steel/Rock and doubly weak to both Fighting AND Ground, at least in theory a Fighting/Ground move would deal 16x damage!? Perhaps GF would add use different mechanics for this situation. In any case, I'm hoping what I've read turns out to be just rumors.

I read that somewhere too, but it might just be a rumor. If it ends up being true imagine all the Pokemon that would suffer xD A Fighting/Fire-type move (Maybe Fire Punch) would deal 8x damage to Scizor and Forretress, and Ground/Rock-type Pokes would just be done with all the possible Water/Ground-type moves (Maybe Muddy Water?).
Lol but when you think about it, that makes it harder for some attacks to hit. Let's say Fire Punch becomes a Fire/Fighting move.. Infernape wouldn't be able to hit Trevenant or Gourgheist with Fire Punch anymore because they're immune to Fighting. That would ruin someone's day xD