PDA

View Full Version : [Gen 5] In The Sun: A Guide to Abusing Sunny Day and Drought!

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
06-30-2013, 03:39 AM
Intro
I thought I'd make a guide to forming teams centered around abusing the Sun. Sun is arguably one of the best weather conditions to abuse, along with Rain. There are several Abilities that abuse its power, not to mention it's other effects. This guide will explain every aspect of the Sun and how to abuse it ^^

Effects of the Sun
Like any weather condition, harsh sunlight causes a few things to change on the field. This includes:

Power Increase/Decrease: When there is intense sunlight, the power of Fire-type moves increases by 50% and the power of Water-type moves decreases by 50%. This is important to know because it essentially removes Water-type STAB and gives Fire-types an edge when playing in the Sun.

Instant Solarbeam: Solarbeam doesn't need a turn to charge in the intense Sun, so a powerful Grass-type move that you'd normally be able to switch out of now fires instantly.

Accuracy Drops: The accuracy of the moves Thunder and Hurricane become only 50%, making the attacks virtually useless.

More HP Gets Restored: There are a few attacks in the game, such as Recover, that restore HP instantly. In the Sun, the moves Moonlight, Morning Sun, and Synthesis grant 2/3 of your max HP back (instead of the normal 1/2).

Fire Ball: Weather Ball's Base Power becomes 100 and it becomes a Fire-type move. This adds good coverage to certain Pokemon with access to it.

Mega Growth: Growth normally boosts Attack and Special Attack by 1 stage, but in the Sun it boosts them both by 2 stages (which doubles them). Very useful on offensive Venusaur!

No Freezing: This is where logic will, for once, come to play in a Pokemon game. Pokemon can't be frozen when the Sun is out. It's not very common to be frozen, but it's good to know.

Knowing these things is key to not only using a Sun team, but also countering one and knowing what to expect. The next section deals with the abilities the Sun will activate.

Abilities and Items
As with any weather condition, there are abilities that enhance it. This is a list of the Abilities that are activated in the Sun, along with items that help in the Sun.

Chlorophyll: This doubles a Pokemon's speed in the Sunlight, which makes them fantastic sweepers provided they have good offensive stats. Some Pokemon that enjoy this ability are Lilligant, Shiftry, and Jumpluff.

Dry Skin: Dry Skin is the worst ability to have when you are in the Sun. Not only does it causes you to lose 1/8 of your HP every turn (which is the same as being normally poisoned), but it increases the damage from Fire-type moves by 25%. It also grants immunity to Water, but you won't see that much on a Sun team.

Flower Gift: This ability is often overlooked, and I don't know why. Only Cherrim has it, but Cherrim can make decent use of it. It boosts your team's Special Defense and Attack by 50%. In Double Battles this makes for a great partner to Special Tanks that run Physical Attacks, or it could even be used to curb one Pokemon's low Special Defense/Attack stat to make it usable. It also makes Cherrim a pretty nice tank/wall/cleric.

Forecast: Castform's ability which turns it into a Fire-type and changes it's form. This is almost useless since Castform is a terrible choice, but there's ways to make it work if you center your team around it.

Leaf Guard: Leaf Guard prevents you from gettings a status condition such as Burn, Poison, etc when the Sun is set up. Very useful on Pokemon like Tangrowth.

Solar Power: Great ability for Sun sweepers. It boosts Special Attack by 50%, but causes you to lose 1/8 of your health every turn. Great for a late-game sweep!

Harvest: Restores a used berry to be used again. It can be useful on Tropius, but I think you'd rather use Chlorophyll for Exeggutor.

Heat Rock: This lengthens the duration of Sunny Day from 5 turns to 8 turns. If you're running a team without Ninetails you really want this item, but then again, you want Ninetails much more.

Knowing your options as far as abilities will help you greatly in choosing team members!

Roles
To construct a good Sun team, you should know some roles that a team can have and how a Sun team can enhance those roles greatly!

Sun Setter: I'm not talking about an awning here. This is the Pokemon that uses Sunny Day/Drought to make the Sun appear as the weather. Drought Pokemon are most useful, and these are Ninetails and Groudon. If you're an OU battler or don't use legends, obviously Ninetails is the clear choice. Aside from using weather, the Sun Setter has to be an asset to the team in some other way. I enjoy using Ninetails as a Special Tank, but others my prefer to sweep with her. It's all up to preference.

Sweeper: A Pokemon that can deliver fast kills is great to offensive and defensive teams alike. Chlorophyll is the way to go for a Sweeper in the Sun. Solar Power is also great, but Speed is something that can be found more vital than offense at times. Of course, another option is using a Fire-type Pokemon. One great option for Fire-types is Speed Boost Blaziken. Outside of that, some Pokemon to consider are Lilligant, Shiftry, Venusaur, Exeggutor, Leafeon, Sawsbuck, Blaziken, Charizard, Ninetails, and Infernape.

Wall/Cleric: A Wall is a Pokemon that is supposed to be extremely hard to take down in terms of it's ability to recover quickly (not like a tank, which simply takes little damage). A Cleric is a Pokemon that can use Heal Bell or Aromatherapy to heal the team's status conditions. I classify them together since a Cleric typically has similar properties to a Wall. Leaf Guard is nice to abuse for this job, but Harvest + Sitrus Berry makes a good combo on Tropius to be a Wall. A good Cleric is Cherrim, since it gets +1 Special Defense in the Sun and can therefore take a hit to use Aromatherapy and heal with Synthesis. Tangrowth makes a great Wall with Leaf Guard, too, but it also makes a good physical tank with Regenerator so be sure that you want to use it as a Wall and not a Tank.

Building Your Team

When you build your Sun team, there are a few things you need to consider. One thing is that you need two Sun Setters, just in case you face another type of weather. That means that in addition to Ninetales or Groudon, you also need a Sunny Day user (possibly holding a Heat Rock). Keep in mind what I said earlier about Sun Setters: They need to play two roles. A Pokemon should not just be dedicated to setting up the Sun. Ninetales will often need to play a sweeper, but it can also be a Special Tank. You should also consider the added effects I mentioned near the beginning. Solarbeam should appear on your team somewhere. You should use Fire-type attacks as well. Growth is a handy move here as well. Venusaur uses it nicely along with it's hidden ability Chlorophyll. You should definitely use one of the healing moves I mentioned above. Depending on your teams, you should see at least two of the above-mentioned abilities on your team. A personal favorite of mine is Solar Power Charizard. Anyways, some pretty successful team set-ups are also something you may want to consider. My personal favorite is:

Spiker - Physical Sweeper - Special Sweeper - Tank - Drainer - Annoyer

This is an irritating team. Now, Ninetales would, in addition to SunSetting, be either a Special Sweeper (Although Charizard is better) or a Tank. Of course, you don't need to follow this. That's just a personal favorite. Another, more common arrangement is:

Physical Sweeper - Physical Sweeper - Special Sweeper - Special Sweeper - Physical Tank - Special Tank

Remember that these are just some options. There are an infinite number of ways you can arrange your team. One thing you should always consider, however, is that you should include a mass variety of Pokemon types. You should try to have a Ground, Ghost, Normal, Flying (or Levitate), Steel, and Dark-type on your team for all the immunities they offer. Hydreigon is a nice choice as well, as it offers two immunities and with Flamethrower and Wise Glasses, this makes for a nice Choice Specs Bluffer.

For any questions regarding teams or options, just post them here and I'll answer as best I can ^^

samueln
07-02-2013, 12:59 AM
wat about a metagross just for type is he/she a good backup in case the team setters r both dead

reshilegend
07-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Nice guide. Maybe add somewhere that Ninetails can also run sunny day for setting up the sun during a Politoed switch (You'll need prediction skills though ;)). Also, I didn't know that freezes can't happen in the sun, thx for pointing that out.
Imo expert belt is better than wise glasses for Hydreigon. It also bluffs Specs and gives you a 20% boost on SE moves.

Edit: Oh my, 200 posts. :D

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
07-02-2013, 04:25 PM
wat about a metagross just for type is he/she a good backup in case the team setters r both dead

I wanna say no to Steel-types almost entirely, because Fire-type moves, including Fire-type Hidden Power are boosted in the Sun so Metagross' weakness would be increased. If you want a Steel-type I'd run a Magnet Pull Magnezone with Fire Hidden Power and Choice Scarf and make it offensive, since Steel-type walls/tanks have a clear weakness.

For a back-up setter you should have something that can support Ninetales well enough. Mow Rotom works well with Ninetales, since it resists Water, is immune to Ground, and can harm Rock-types with it's STAB. If you want a speedier Pokemon to do it, which is more reliable, Aerodactyl is fast and reliable and it's Fire Fang benefits from the Sun as well.

Kamina
07-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Nice guide i can tell you spent a lot of time on it :p

personally whenever i go use a sun team i always like to run dugtrio to catch and destroy t-tars and heatrans since both of them are huge annoyances to sun teams in general.

you could also go for gothella to trap politoed but with sun you usually have some grass Pokemon which can easily absorb water moves.

Entry Hazards are also a huge problem that sun faces (Ninetails losses 25% hp to stelthrocks every time it switches which makes it hard to win weather war) so i always carry a spinner as well or atlest a magic bouncer like espeon which gets its moonlight boosted from the sun or xatu which provides resistance from the ground.

Also what did you mean by an annoyer in the first set you displayed :P

nice job on guide ^^

LinuxUser
07-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Nice guide!

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
07-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Also what did you mean by an annoyer in the first set you displayed :P

Annoyer means a Pokemon that spams annoying attacks that keep it alive while setting back the opponent. A drainer is a type of annoyer, for example. Venusaur makes good use of Leech Seed and it can spam Giga Drain and even Toxic to harm the opponent and keep itself alive. Ingrain could also work for this type of set. Another annoyer could be a SubProtecter, A Pokemon that uses status conditions, Substitute, and then Protect to keep itself alive while the enemy is killed by residual damage. A fun one to use in the Sun is Sleep Powder Jumpluff, which then gets to use Leech Seed and Substitute freely.

Lord Of Storms
07-09-2013, 05:55 AM
really nicely made well done, and thank you this was very informative :P