PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon that can NEVER be shiny. Don't allow yourself to be duped. :)

Astral Vapors
08-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Hey everyone. I know that I've had greatly reduced activity on PokeBay lately, but when browsing around today I noticed that there are many posted trades for illegal shinies, with the offerer claiming legitimacy. I know that in many cases people aren't trying to be deceitful, and it's more a matter of being unaware that the Pokémon in question is always illegal when shiny. As a few of you know, I and many people I've worked with have done extensive research into Pokémon game coding in order to definitively prove which Pokémon can and can NOT be shiny. I wish to share the knowledge with all of you, as I know how hard it can be to learn that you've traded away your most treasured shiny for an illegal or hacked Pokémon.

First, there is this Serebii article. At the bottom you can view a list of the Pokémon that can not be shiny under any circumstances. http://www.serebii.net/games/shiny.shtml

There is also this Bulbapedia article. It mentions Pokémon that are unobtainable as shinies, though there are a few errors in what is stated. I will elaborate on each individual Pokémon to help all of you to better understand why the listed Pokémon can not be shiny. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shiny#Unobtainable_Shiny_Pok.C3.A9mon

Mew - Mew can be shiny from the in-game event in Emerald. However, the Old Sea Map was only distributed to Japanese games. Any English Mew you'll find is illegal.

Celebi - Celebi can't be shiny, as the Japanese Colosseum bonus disc was looked at in a debugger, and explicitly skips shiny PIDs, regardless of being distributed to the Colosseum save, or a GBA save. I know there are people who say that Ageto Celebi can be shiny, however this was debunked and it was proven that ALL Celebi are unable to be shiny. This link has more details: http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemontrades/comments/1h7f9w/announcement_10_annivaniv_pokemon_cant_be_shiny/

Victini - Liberty Garden Victini has a special function which blocks a shiny PID from being chosen - the game modifies the PID if it were to be shiny. Victini's Wondercard event distributions also can't be shiny.

Meloetta and Keldeo were distributed only as Wondercard events, which were previously stated to not be shiny.

3rd gen distributions can't be shiny, based on the fact that 10th anniversary events can't be shiny.

All Wondercard events can't be shiny, except for those that are always shiny, and the few 5th gen events that have the normal 1/8192 chance of being shiny (Japanese Super Strong events, Spa Land Piplup, Pikachu Festival Pikachu, and international Summer 2012 Pikachu events).

All legendary Pokémon in X and Y are unable to be shiny. While Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Mewtwo can be shiny from previous titles, they can't be shiny and have the pentagon icon. Shiny Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde are rejected by the GTS and can't be traded over Wi-Fi.

I also want to address certain Pokémon that CAN be shiny, but only if captured via specific means.

Manaphy can be shiny, but only if it was traded as an egg to another save file. The shiny block function erroneously checks against the TID/SID of the egg, which is always the same one as the file it was received on, allowing for it to be shiny when traded.

Jirachi can be shiny only from the NA Colosseum bonus disc, with the OT WISHMKR 20043/0, or the recently released Tanabata Jirachi that was distributed at the Pokémon Center Tōhoku in Japan from August 1 to 31, 2014.

Shaymin and Darkrai can only be shiny from the Oak's Letter and Member Card distributions respectively. They were distributed only to Platinum games, so Shaymin must be a fateful encounter.

Reshiram and Zekrom are able to be shiny when captured in Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire, respectively. Any shiny Reshiram or Zekrom originating from a game other than OR/AS is illegal. The myth about being able to capture a shiny Reshiram or Zekrom with full boxes in Pokémon Black or White is just that - a myth.

Arceus - Arceus is able to be shiny from the Archdjinn of Rings: Hoopa event, beginning on March 7th, 2015 in Japan. Prior to this, Arceus was only legally released by a Wondercard, or by the Dream World and was shiny-locked in all circumstances. The Azure Flute was never released, so all Arceus from the Hall of Origin are illegal by default, shiny or otherwise.

Also, it's ALWAYS a good idea to check out an event database prior to doing any trade, as most of those will at least tell you if that too-good-to-be-true shiny "event" Zekrom is something that actually happened, or just bogus. I'd recommend either http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Event_Pok%C3%A9mon or http://www.serebii.net/events/

With the introduction of the Powersaves device for the 3DS system, it's VERY difficult to perform a successful legality check on anything originating from a 6th generation game. People are now able to turn Pokémon shiny and hack Wondercards into their games. Due to this, I'd recommend that everyone be diligent and observant when trading. I'm also going to include a list of 6th generation Wondercards, and somewhat of a means to tell if it was injected using a Powersaves device. That list can be seen here: http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemontrades/wiki/hackedevents

I do hope this has helped some of you, and always feel free to message me if you'd like more information. Happy trading everyone! ^_^

The Kiwi Dragon
08-14-2013, 01:52 AM
Thanks for this Astral! ^.^ And guys I'm going to tell you this even though I'm not on staff anymore, just remember please that if you are caught trying to trade illegal shiny event Pokemon you may be penalized especially if you publically declare it as legitimate, this is basically ripping off other traders and it isn't fair. But please use the link Astral has given to research if your event Pokemon is legitimate before you upload your trades.

Marill
10-27-2013, 04:16 PM
I really wasnt aware of this, I thought every pokemon has a shiny, just that it was super rare to come across one, Unless you went to a event ofc.

EllaJaneBinks
10-28-2013, 03:11 AM
This was extremely helpful :) Thanks!!

CammyCoolPants
10-29-2013, 10:31 AM
darn the darn it of darn land I traded a legit shiny legendary poke for a fake shiny Victini extreme sad face with tear :'(

Nikomeow
10-31-2013, 10:31 AM
my friend gave me his arceus which is shiny that he said he got at toys r us for the tru arceus event but he got it as shiny. It has the the moves of and ribbon as the TRU arceus but it's O/T name is: P-PKM. My friend said he never hacked or even owned any hacking accessory so I'm not sure what to think here. I'm sure what to think. I've read everywhere that there is no such event of a shiny arceus but he claims that is how he got it.

Astral Vapors
10-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Your friend is being dishonest with you. Not only were those events unable to be shiny (due to the coding of the games), the OT would always be TRU. Here is the Bulbapedia entry for the TRU Arceus, in case you wanted to cross-reference with the one you received from your friend. Either way, the Arceus is absolutely hacked. :(

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_local_English_event_Pok%C3%A9mon_distribut ions_in_Generation_IV#Toys_.22R.22_Us_Arceus

whitedragonfever
02-07-2014, 02:46 AM
can ho oh, lugia , latios and latias be shiny

chomp-o-squirtle
02-07-2014, 07:26 AM
Yes it can be

Narlina-Lumiose
02-15-2014, 06:09 AM
I have a shiny Jirachi with the OT wishmhk. Poke bank wouldn't accept it!

Astral Vapors
02-15-2014, 07:37 PM
I have a shiny Jirachi with the OT wishmhk. Poke bank wouldn't accept it!

Yes, shiny Jirachi is blocked by Nintendo's filters. This is due to the fact that they didn't intend for it to be possible - the 9 possible spreads for shiny Jirachi were found through disassembly of the Bonus Disc and are only possible due to an error in the coding of the games. So while legally possible, the existence was unintended.

LookingForLegends
04-30-2014, 02:52 PM
I got a level 100 Deoxys from a trade on here (non-shiny). How do I know if it's legit?

tefftys
05-01-2014, 12:32 AM
I don't get why people make such a big deal out of "hacked" pokemon. I used to love using Action Replay back when I was younger.. Without it I wouldn't have been able to get Shaymin, Darkrai, and Arceus in my copy of Pokemon Pearl :p.

Katarina
05-06-2014, 05:21 AM
It's fine if you like hacked pokemon, but some people just don't like the cheating to get it. I could have hacked the games to get Jirachi but i waited years instead and I appreciate it more b/c i waited for it :p I don't like hacked pokemon, b/c i don't like how people didn't make an effort or were too impatient (in my opinion, no offense to anyone!) to get it.

ThePreachingOcelot
05-06-2014, 05:02 PM
I have a Shiny Pichu, but I cannot tell if its ears are pointy or not! It is in a Cherish Ball, and (its Spanish BTW) its OT is PRI2010. I fear its ears are pointy, and it is from the Sinnoh Region DX Is it hacked or legit? :(

Astral Vapors
05-08-2014, 02:40 AM
I got a level 100 Deoxys from a trade on here (non-shiny). How do I know if it's legit?

There's unfortunately no way to verify legitimacy outside of obtaining the Pokémon yourself via legal means. The best you can do is ascertain legality, and there are a few sites out there that offer comprehensive legality checks. Feel free to PM me for more details. :)

I don't get why people make such a big deal out of "hacked" pokemon. I used to love using Action Replay back when I was younger.. Without it I wouldn't have been able to get Shaymin, Darkrai, and Arceus in my copy of Pokemon Pearl :p.

And you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I posted this merely to help others avoid getting scammed, as people tend to get upset when they trade away something that took them a great deal of time to obtain in exchange for something that's hacked. What people do within their own games and for their own personal use is of no importance to me - I'm simply trying to help others educate themselves to avoid future frustrations. ^_^

I have a Shiny Pichu, but I cannot tell if its ears are pointy or not! It is in a Cherish Ball, and (its Spanish BTW) its OT is PRI2010. I fear its ears are pointy, and it is from the Sinnoh Region DX Is it hacked or legit? :(

Spiky-eared Pichu can never leave the save file in which it was obtained, so you should be clear on that front. To see if the OT/TID, ball, and other info match any known events, it's always best to check an event database like this one: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Event_Pok%C3%A9mon. Simply check all of the Spanish Pichu distributions and see if yours matches up. :)

Astral Vapors
05-14-2014, 05:55 AM
I have updated this thread to include all shiny-locked Pokémon from 6th generation games.

Katarina
06-05-2014, 04:26 AM
I have updated this thread to include all shiny-locked Pokémon from 6th generation games.

Mewtwo from the Unknown Dungeon can't be shiny? I got a shiny mewtwo from someone on here and put it up for trade on here. I was told by someone else that it had a slight chance of being legit. I should have known to come back and check this thread for updates... I only found out that Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygrade couldn't be shiny from a friend. I PM'ed the person telling them it was hacked, but now I'm upset b/c I traded a legit shiny for it... I really should have reread this sooner.... and it had the blue pentagon. I have a picture of it on my phone.

stormwalker22
06-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Mewtwo from the Unknown Dungeon can't be shiny? I got a shiny mewtwo from someone on here and put it up for trade on here. I was told by someone else that it had a slight chance of being legit. I should have known to come back and check this thread for updates... I only found out that Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygrade couldn't be shiny from a friend. I PM'ed the person telling them it was hacked, but now I'm upset b/c I traded a legit shiny for it... I really should have reread this sooner.... and it had the blue pentagon. I have a picture of it on my phone.

Unfortunately, blue pentagon is no longer worth anything in terms of legitimacy. Hacking is now easily available for generation VI so there is actually no way of telling if the pokemon is really legit or not anymore.

keyblade
09-17-2014, 04:27 PM
you can get a ligit mew in english mew from emerald link share data from the japan emerald or any 3 gen geme that has the old sea map

Astral Vapors
09-18-2014, 08:29 PM
you can get a ligit mew in english mew from emerald link share data from the japan emerald or any 3 gen geme that has the old sea map

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but that is patently untrue. Shiny Mew is ONLY available via the Old Sea Map event, which was distributed exclusively to Japanese Emerald games. Of course it's possible to hack the event into an English game, but that would obviously render the Pokémon obtained from said event hacked as well. Please don't make baseless claims unless you've done the necessary research to substantiate them. :)

----

Also, hello again everyone! I've just updated the OP with some information regarding the Powersaves device for the 3DS, as well as a list of hacked Wondercards for 6th generation games. I hope all of you are well, and feel free to message me anytime if you have questions. I've not been playing Pokémon much these days, but am still researching when I can and will always do my best to keep you up to date on everything. :)

ArynChris
11-13-2014, 08:07 PM

It's fine if you like hacked pokemon, but some people just don't like the cheating to get it. I could have hacked the games to get Jirachi but i waited years instead and I appreciate it more b/c i waited for it :p I don't like hacked pokemon, b/c i don't like how people didn't make an effort or were too impatient (in my opinion, no offense to anyone!) to get it.

Katarina's reason seems to be the most common reason players have for avoiding hacked pokemon, but not everyone sees it that way, and there are certainly other reasons to be careful when trading. For me, it comes down to the games' own filters; I picked up a shiny English Mew that my game and the Pokebank think is legit, but if future software has better anti-hack software and screams "FAKE!" when I try to transfer it, then I don't really have a shiny Mew, do I? Cloning still doesn't matter, because those are indistinguishable from legit, but avoiding hacked stuff now means less frustration later.

Astral Vapors: Thank you so much for posting all this! I winced more than once while reading it, because, well... shiny English Mew, shiny Kalos birds, my shiny Darkrai and shiny Shaymin are probably both hacked... I clearly have a lot more research to do. And I had no idea that Jirachi can be shiny even as a glitch, or that resetting Y for a shiny Mewtwo has been a total waste of my hours (so many hours). This is information I never found doing a google search, and I'm really grateful. Also to Katarina, for linking this to me!

keyblade
12-16-2014, 08:42 PM
you can now find a shiny zekrom and reshiram

Astral Vapors
12-18-2014, 04:16 AM
you can now find a shiny zekrom and reshiram

The original post has been updated. :)

alexbip15
02-09-2015, 12:06 AM
Awesome thread! It should be worth mentioning that Dream Radar pokemon can't be shiny so a shiny Regenerator Ho-Oh or shiny Multiscale Lugia is illegal and that a shiny HB Rayquaza is now only possible via the World Hobby Fair event.

Pikachu Belle
03-07-2015, 01:00 PM
With the new Arceus event, the player can now get a shiny Arceus out of the 19 Arceus available. It is totally random! Things you should look out for is that it must be Japanese, level 100 with the moves Judgement/Blast Burn/Hydro Cannon/Earth Power..
OT: デセルシティ
ID: 03075
MUST HAVE PENTAGON

re_os509
03-07-2015, 10:28 PM
Arceus can be shiny now

igor.mbs
03-07-2015, 11:20 PM
Hey Astral Vapors, thanks a lot for your thread! It really helped me a lot! I have received from a trade that was organised here a shiny latios and a shiny latias with the OT 10ANNIV that came from emerald, like the original Trainer told me, in a pokeball. It is from France, ID no 06227. They look extremely Legit and flawless, but the only "problem" is that They are shiny. Are They hacked? (I know you have said that the 10 anniversary pokemon can't be shiny, but these pokemon really got me in a doubt :))

Astral Vapors
03-08-2015, 10:16 PM
With the new Arceus event, the player can now get a shiny Arceus out of the 19 Arceus available. It is totally random! Things you should look out for is that it must be Japanese, level 100 with the moves Judgement/Blast Burn/Hydro Cannon/Earth Power..
OT: デセルシティ
ID: 03075
MUST HAVE PENTAGON

Arceus can be shiny now

The OP has been updated. :)

Hey Astral Vapors, thanks a lot for your thread! It really helped me a lot! I have received from a trade that was organised here a shiny latios and a shiny latias with the OT 10ANNIV that came from emerald, like the original Trainer told me, in a pokeball. It is from France, ID no 06227. They look extremely Legit and flawless, but the only "problem" is that They are shiny. Are They hacked? (I know you have said that the 10 anniversary pokemon can't be shiny, but these pokemon really got me in a doubt :))

Thank you very much for the kind words, and I'm glad I was able to help! As far as addressing your concern, I'll be sending you a private message shortly. It's never my intention to call out the integrity of individual PokeBay traders, so I'd prefer to explain things in a non-public avenue. :)

Daidek
06-05-2015, 07:11 PM
I had no idea (sarcastically)

pokeman321
06-08-2015, 01:31 PM
event pokemon can't be shiny unless the event is for a shiny

Astral Vapors
06-11-2015, 05:09 PM
I had no idea (sarcastically)

It's great that you've obtained the knowledge to differentiate between illegal/legal Pokémon, but many people haven't. It sounds like this guide has helped at least a few people avoid being scammed, so I'm happy enough with that. ^_^

event pokemon can't be shiny unless the event is for a shiny

You are correct for the most part, however there are a very select few 5th Generation events that have the normal 1/8192 chance of being shiny, which has been confirmed by Nintendo. These include Japanese Super Strong events, Spa Land Piplup, Pikachu Festival Pikachu, and international Summer 2012 Pikachu events.

However, 6th Generation events can never be shiny unless the event is specifically for a shiny Pokémon, so you are correct in this regard. :)

capn-squeakers
05-04-2016, 06:05 PM
I've got a Manaphy in a cherish ball, if you want it. Got a Meloetta though?

Radiantroar
07-12-2016, 12:49 PM
I have a question- Why is the Arceus that was given away during the Toys R' us event not here? Or was that through a wondercard? I remember getting it there, but it's been so long ago (back on my diamond) that I don't remember if it was on a wondercard. ^^;;

VictiniBlastDP
07-12-2016, 12:52 PM
I have a question- Why is the Arceus that was given away during the Toys R' us event not here? Or was that through a wondercard? I remember getting it there, but it's been so long ago (back on my diamond) that I don't remember if it was on a wondercard. ^^;;

Well, with the 20th Anniversary Arceus on the horizon, Arceus is on the in-store code line, same for example as Genesect, Mew and Darkrai. In the past you had the TRU Arceus that was only at Toys 'R' Us for a specific time, so yeah.

MrBuddGaming
02-08-2017, 01:07 AM
Shiny Xerneas and Shiny Yvetal CAN be traded because of a 2016 Event That Happened in JAPAN Only, Any English shiny Xerneas or Yvetal is still Illegal. :)

Inari
02-08-2017, 12:49 PM
Shiny Xerneas and Shiny Yvetal CAN be traded because of a 2016 Event That Happened in JAPAN Only, Any English shiny Xerneas or Yvetal is still Illegal. :)

Well you're wrong there, it was released in North America and a few countries in Europe. See these links for proof:

http://www.serebii.net/events/dex/716.shtml
http://www.serebii.net/events/dex/717.shtml

VictiniBlastDP
02-08-2017, 10:11 PM
I was gonna say, we got Shiny Yveltal & Xerneas at participating Smyth Stores last year.

S.A. Natsu
02-09-2017, 12:51 AM

Yeah I have like two of each of those shinies that I obtained myself lol

iCrusha
02-26-2018, 07:22 PM
NOW idk what gen game ur referring to but if this is all games this article is wrong in 2009 shiny jirachi was released to everyone on heart gold and soul silver after shiny pichu which was the 1st event and surfing pikachu came in 2nd shiny manaphy was also released to hg and ss alot of people missed that event as by the end of 2009 all the hype had died down those are the only 2 i see are false

LFP
06-08-2018, 06:19 PM
You Can Get A Shiny Zygarde From an event.

Master587
04-17-2020, 10:20 PM
I have 3 shiny jirachi’s and a shiny victini so we’re the people I traded with hackers?

UltraSound
04-19-2020, 11:02 AM
I have 3 shiny jirachi’s and a shiny victini so we’re the people I traded with hackers?

Shiny Jirachi is obtainable as legitimate, you can check whether you have a legit or a hacked one here: https://www.serebii.net/events/dex/385.shtml

However as far as I know, Victini has never been released as shiny and is shiny locked in games where it is obtainable: https://www.serebii.net/events/dex/494.shtml
Thus making any shiny Victini illegitimate.