PDA

View Full Version : 9/11/2001

Cotton Candy
09-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Do any of you guys remember what you were doing at that exact moment...? I was only a year and a half old, but my mom said "I was just doing the usual, making your milk in the kitchen, watching Fox News Channel,..."

Even though I wasn't old enough to know what was going on, when I reflect on it now, it chokes me up. Today, I learned that there were 4 hijacked planes. Two for the Twin Towers, one for the White House, one for the Pentagon. I also learned that another one, was going to land somewhere too. But, people controlled the hijackers, but also killed themselves, in return, saving peoples lives.

And I sit here, watching video clips, of people FALLING to their death. JUMPING out of windows.....all the screams....ambulances...all that din. It's so disturbing....it makes me cry. And now I'm fully impacted by it as well.

And I sit here wondering, "are you happy now..?"

And only last year...they killed others again....a year ago today....

Voltaradragoness
09-11-2013, 06:31 PM
we learned about it in school today. i didn't even find out what happened at 9/11 until i was in the 5th grade and even then i didn't fully understand it. I was a really dumb 5th grader but i couldnt believe it when i was told...

DejaVu146
09-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Oh boy- I feel old. I was 10 (going on 11) when it happened. I was at a school outing where we went on a 3 day camping exploration thing. It was on September 10,11, and 12, 2001. I didn't find out about it until the 12th or 13th. You could tell though that there was something going on. All the teachers (since they got their own special rooms with televisions) were very distant and quiet. They didn't want to scare us, especially being 3 hours from our parents- so they left it up to our parents to tell us when we got back. I remember my mom telling me what had happened in the car after we got back to the school from the trip on the bus. I didn't really think anything of it because I didn't realize the World Trade Center were huge skyscrapers at the time. Then when I got home- the news was on, and all you saw for 24 hours (for several weeks) was the footage of what happened. That's when it really hit me as to what happened. I started crying and was scared that terrorist were going to strike by me next.

To this day, I (as well as the whole nation, I'm sure) am still "awe" struck and can't believe it actually happened. I still remember thinking when I first saw the footage when I got home from that trip, "it looks like something straight out of a movie." To me, it's hard to believe that there are people younger than me who don't fully understand how powerful 9/11 truly was, or even remember it, but then again, that's anyone who lives through and remembers big events like that. Maybe it's because it happened in my lifetime.

One of the scariest parts is that it completely changed television, and how news is reported (I have taken a couple of television classes and we talk about it). It opened the rhelm of "instantaneous news," in which you're seeing history unfold right before your very eyes. You literally watched as the second plane hit, and the towers collapses on live television...as it happened. You literally watched as just under 3,000 people die on live TV. My dad says he remembers that he took the day off of work to paint my sister's room, and had something on the TV when breaking news cut in. He then called my mom and told her to "turn on the news. A plane just crashed into the World Trade Center."As he was on the phone with her, he remembers watching the second plane hit the second tower on live tv, as well as both towers collapsing. One of the scariest moments and bone chilling moments, as you watch the footage, is all the news stations stating "oh my God! You've just seen it, folks. A second plane has just flown into the second tower of the World Trade Center. This is defiantly not an accident, it is an act of terror. America is under attack."

The Batman
09-11-2013, 07:19 PM
I was a sophmore in high school that year. I was sitting in first period homeroom when my teacher told us what had happened, there was a lot of confusion about what was actually going on. The entire school sat in homeroom all day watching the news and discussing what had happened.

When I got home that day my older brother Jack and my dad were fighting about him going to enlist and fight back against people running planes into buildings. I felt the same way, I wanted to take revenge against Al Qaeda and any other faction from the arab nations that wanted some. But as the years went by and the truth was slowly reveled I also felt a new kind of resentment... against our own leaders for lying to us about details regarding the motives being the Iraq/Afghanistan invasion.

I was shocked at the target but not that we were attacked. Anyone that watched the news and saw the signs knew something was going to happen...

NightmareRageMonster
09-11-2013, 07:36 PM
i hate how someone would do suh a thing*

The Kiwi Dragon
09-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Well, I don't specifically remember as I was only four, and I don't think there was as heavy media coverage of 9/11 in the UK compared to the US. When I was about 8, I remember hearing it from a kid in school and I'll be honest at the small amount of details I got from the conversation, I wasn't fully comprehending what had happened four years prior to that day. Now twelve years later after learning about practically everything surrounding 9/11 including the Bush family's dodgy dealings over the years, the war in Afghanistan/Iraq and the overlooked Patriot Act in my History class and of course having to write an essay on it all, in my exam just a few days ago, I can now comprehend what happened on that day twelve years ago.

Gaming Master 2000
09-11-2013, 11:02 PM
I was 14 when it all happened. Of course being in Australia the event happened close to midnight my time so I was already in bed and didn't hear about it until I woke up. It was talked about in school and at home and of course was all over the news.

Truthfully the biggest impact on me was the result of a story from a kid I knew from a forum (similar size to PokeBay so it's was like everyone knew everyone).

This kid was at school and his parents went to work just like a typical day. The parents worked at the Pentagon. When the planes hit they took T.Vs into the classrooms so the teachers and students could all watch what was going on. Then come through the reports that the pentagon was also hit and understandably this kid began to worry. So he's sitting at his desk for a little while, worrying about his parents when an announcement came over the speaker system at the school. The announcement was the principal asking for the kid to come to his office.

So the kid sort gets up and starts walking to the principal's office thinking the whole time "My parents were killed in the crash" and things like that. He gets to the principal's office and there's a phone call for him. On the other end of the phone were his mum and dad. They had been in another section of the pentagon and called him to tell him not to worry.

In the end, for this kid, it was a happy ending because his family was ok but for thousands of other families it was anything but ok. Every time I think of this story I think about how it must have felt when he didn't know his parents were fine (and particularly the walk to the principal's office). That story is something I'll never forget. For me 9/11 isn't about the WTC towers coming down or the U.S. being attacked, it's about the people and families.

Even though I wasn't old enough to know what was going on, when I reflect on it now, it chokes me up. Today, I learned that there were 4 hijacked planes. Two for the Twin Towers, one for the White House, one for the Pentagon. I also learned that another one, was going to land somewhere too. But, people controlled the hijackers, but also killed themselves, in return, saving peoples lives.

The plane hijacked and headed to the white house was the one passengers overwhelmed the hijackers and forced to crash in a field.

chomp-o-squirtle
09-12-2013, 11:19 AM
was 0ne so didnt kno anything but my dad was in the building next to it he saw it fall

UltraSound
09-12-2013, 06:18 PM
I was four, and my mom had just brought me to playschool, usually we were welcomed by a few of the teachers, but today there was no one to be seen. My mom brought me to the "living room" of my group there, and all of the teachers and kids were sitting on the couches, watching the news. My mom gasped and was absolutely terrified. I didn't quite understand what was going on (and apparently none of the other kids did either), but that day stayed on my mind very clearly, because on the same day this one guy called Saku or something like that tied me to a chair and cut my hair like 5 cm long. (You can imagine the rage that my mom brought up on Saku and his parents and the teachers...)
What happened on that day was absolutely horrible...I don't understand how other human beings can do something like that to their own kind...

Rip Snorting
09-13-2013, 01:08 AM
sorry for the late answer, but even though i was too young to understand it, that moment was pretty scary, my father was crying and screaming, my mom was worried about how this would affect me and my sister. and now i watch the films of what was happened every year, and it was absolutely horrifying, people jumping out of the building because they knew they were going to die, and all of the children who were left without parents because of the attack, and i just don't know what can cause someone to take away innocent lives, its just depressing to even think about

Mega Klefki
09-13-2013, 02:25 AM
I wasn't even one, so......

Sakura
09-13-2013, 03:36 AM
I was 6. I didn't really understand what was going on. But I watched the videos. And I was so shocked. That day. I went home like usual. Turned on the tv to watch cartoons. And my mom came in and turned it off. She was like no tv today okay. Now I watch the videos and I'm like who would ever do such a thing? What monster could be so heartless!?