PDA

View Full Version : How would you train your JOLTEON

dizz86
10-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Ok so as we all know, this new method of EV training simplifies things a bit.

I just want to know peoples opinions on ev training a Jolteon.

ive been thinking of alocating ev points MAINLY to both special attack and defense, and a few on speed.

Jolteons only weakness is ground, and as we know, ground attacks are mostly PHYSICAL excluding Earth Power which is 1 of the 3 ONLY special earth moves, and the strongest at 90 base power.

so i figure a good defense to combat earth moves like earthquake.

so what is your opinion on training Jolteon, where would you allocate those EV points?

reshilegend
10-30-2013, 10:17 PM
There's no way a Jolteon can take an EQ or a Close Combat well from any physical attacker. It's just too frail. Invest your EVs in SpAtk and Speed cause that's what makes Jolteon good. You won't be able to stay in on an EQ anyways, so make sure you have a defensive Pokemon on your team that can take hits.
It all depends on if you want to be good in Wifi matches or the singleplayer. In the story mode, EVs don't matter that much. In a competitive match however EVs and IVs are crucial.
Btw just as an advice: If you're talking about super training as the easy method you might want to consider EV training with hordes. It's much faster and you can EV train multiple Pokemon at once. Just watch some tutorial videos on Youtube ^^

LinuxUser
10-30-2013, 10:21 PM
i would do speed and sp attack. to avoid earthquake/earthpower or other ground moves you can use a air ballon which is like levitate but until you get hit with a move.

WhiteWolfFang
10-30-2013, 10:22 PM
It depends on a few things.
Do you want a fast pokemon with stong special attacks, or do you want a Jolteon that can stand a few hits?
Or in your case find the balance between those two.
What kind of moves do you want to use.
What role is Jolteon going to play in your team?
What are the pokemon that can outspeed Jolteon?
These are all questions that can help you.
There is also an article on smogon that might help, although they don't cover the 6th gen yet. link (http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/jolteon)

dizz86
10-30-2013, 10:23 PM
There's no way a Jolteon can take an EQ or a Close Combat well from any physical attacker. It's just too frail. Invest your EVs in SpAtk and Speed cause that's what makes Jolteon good. You won't be able to stay in on an EQ anyways, so make sure you have a defensive Pokemon on your team that can take hits.
It all depends on if you want to be good in Wifi matches or the singleplayer. In the story mode, EVs don't matter that much. In a competitive match however EVs and IVs are crucial.
Btw just as an advice: If you're talking about super training as the easy method you might want to consider EV training with hordes. It's much faster and you can EV train multiple Pokemon at once. Just watch some tutorial videos on Youtube ^^

Very good advice thank you.. as to when i said simpler. I guess i was speaking personally because im too lazy to do the research of finding out which pokemon give which ev points and then i would have to find where they are and theeeeen i would have encounter them and run away from the ones i dont want to battle haha. its just my lazinness getting the best of me.

dizz86
10-30-2013, 10:25 PM
It depends on a few things.
Do you want a fast pokemon with stong special attacks, or do you want a Jolteon that can stand a few hits?
Or in your case find the balance between those two.
What kind of move do you want to use.
What role is Jolteon going to play in your team?
What are the pokemon that can outspeed Jolteon?
These are all questions that can help you.
There is also an article on smogon that might help, although they don't cover the 6th gen yet. link (http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/jolteon)

ah, i see i see. im focusing on special attacks thunder bolt and thunder. and i wanted a jolteon that would be able to take a few hits. i figured that his natural speed would be enough to not allocate evs on it.

Mica
10-30-2013, 10:28 PM
I agree with reshilegend and if anything your Jolteon shouldn't be fighting ground Pokemon put volt switch or baton pass on him to sub out for a tank, Jolteon is not a tank Pokemon it can't be done even with nerfing him for a few extra points in defense it would be a waste and possibly make him less effective against the stuff he actually is good at fighting. ^-^

Mica
10-30-2013, 10:32 PM
I also agree with Will the balloon thing could help in a tight spot ^-^ although it's kind of only a quick fix and won't save you for long assuming they have other moves they can hit you with ^-^

dizz86
10-30-2013, 10:33 PM
I agree with reshilegend and if anything your Jolteon shouldn't be fighting ground Pokemon put volt switch or baton pass on him to sub out for a tank, Jolteon is not a tank Pokemon it can't be done even with nerfing him for a few extra points in defense it would be a waste and possibly make him less effective against the stuff he actually is good at fighting. ^-^

awesome. thanks. volt switch, great idea. now to go find that TM lol anyone know?

I also agree with will the balloon thing could help in a tight spot ^-^ although it's kind of only a quick fix and won't save up for long assuming they have other moves they can hit you with ^-^

yea i agree i shall look for this at battle maison now. too bad its a one time use item.

Mica
10-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Yeah no problem I'm planning on build a pure shiny eevee evolution team so I've been training and researching all of them a lot to give them all maxed evs perfect nature, move sets as well as held items to make them the very best. ^-^
Oh yeah one more thing as a hold Item your going to want a choice scarf that way you do get screwed over by slower Pokemon that have ground moves if they have a choice item on. ^-^

Mica
10-30-2013, 10:44 PM
you can buy volt switch at the battle mansion ^-^

dizz86
10-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Yeah no problem I'm planning on build a pure shiny eevee evolution team so I've been training and researching all of them a lot to give them all maxed evs perfect nature, move sets as well as held items to make them the very best. ^-^
Oh yeah one more thing as a hold Item your going to want a choice scarf that way you do get screwed over by slower Pokemon that have ground moves if they have a choice item on. ^-^

good idea. and yea i just found out its at the battle maison lol

Mica
10-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Thanks so far I've finished off my shiny Flareon and I've finish off a Shiny Espeon, Shiny Leafeon, and Shiny Jolteon but their natures aren't perfect so I'm replacing them with better nature ones and I already got one to replace my shiny Leafeon and I started her training yesterday she's a Jolly nature now level 35 and is close to having maxed speed then I'll max her attack throw the rest into either hp or defense and then finish getting her to level 100 and after she's done I'll work on my bold shiny vaporeon, modest shiny glaceon, sassy shiny umbreon once will has em finished for me lol, clam shiny sylveon once the pokemon bank opens in December, and timid nature shiny Espeon and Jolteon once I get a couple of shiny timid nature shiny eevee's. ^-^

Great glad to hear that you found it, ^-^ sucks that it cost so many points though. :P

dizz86
10-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Thanks so far I've finished off my shiny Flareon and I've finish off a Shiny Espeon, Shiny Leafeon, and Shiny Jolteon but their natures aren't perfect so I'm replacing them with better nature ones and I already got one to replace my shiny Leafeon and I started her training yesterday she's a Jolly nature now level 35 and is close to having maxed speed then I'll max her attack throw the rest into either hp or defense and then finish getting her to level 100 and after she's done I'll work on my bold shiny vaporeon, modest shiny glaceon, sassy shiny umbreon once will has em finished for me lol, clam shiny sylveon once the pokemon bank opens in December, and timid nature shiny Espeon and Jolteon once I get a couple of shiny timid nature shiny eevee's. ^-^

Great glad to hear that you found it, ^-^ sucks that it cost so many points though. :P

My jolteon is a hasty nature, i guess thats good right? up speed and lower defense...i wanted a high sp attack nature. but i dont feel like looking for another one.

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
10-31-2013, 03:46 AM

Mostly agree, but if you're facing a Ground-type Volt Switch will never work, since Ground-types are immune to it. Instead, just switch out. Electric-types have trouble keeping momentum sometimes, so Volt Switch isn't necessarily the best option.

I'd say you should, in order to support Jolteon's Ground-type weakness (something that should always be done) use a Flying-type of some sort so that when you think EQ (or another Ground-type attack) you can switch them in without them taking any damage. Make sure this Flying-type (or Levitate Pokemon) has something that is strong to Ground-types, so a Water-, Ice-, or Grass-type moves.

I'd say use a Rotom-W or Rotom-M, but you don't want another Electric-type. Gengar could work if you don't mind giving it Energy Ball (which is also great because a lot of Ground-types lack good Special Defense). That would also trick them into think the Gengar was holding a Mega Stone, but it won't be... mehehe