PDA

View Full Version : how can i win?

instantice
11-05-2013, 10:44 PM
ive ev trained several pokemon and i still lose online.. i suck at pokemon all of a sudden. havent been really serious about it since ruby and saphire but now i lose to even weak pokemon.. any help?

NOTE: i want to win with pokemon i like not a team built best to win with.

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
11-06-2013, 01:05 AM
Then depends on what Pokemon you like. I use Pokemon I like too, otherwise half my teams would be nonexistent.

So, you need to balance your typings, make sure you have good offensive coverage, and good defensive cores. I play off of that formula, but my teams rear more towards defense most of the time.

instantice
11-06-2013, 01:33 AM
how would i go about it though, i mean how can i know if there meant for offensive?

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
11-06-2013, 02:38 AM
how would i go about it though, i mean how can i know if there meant for offensive?

Check out their stats, abilities, attacks, etc.
Mawile, adorable little Pokemon, actually can be a good tank (even before her Mega forme) because of Iron Defense and Intimidate.
There are some Pokemon, like Togekiss, that can go either way. My current Togetic (soon-to-be Togekiss) is a Special Tank, intended to deal residual damage and take special hits, while being immune to Ground and Dragon completely. It does have good Special Attack and general bulk though, so it could easily be used as a set-up sweeper, especially with her enourmous move pool.

Basically, for offensive you're looking at Attack and/or Special Attack, along with defenses and HP or Speed. Good bulk or Speed tied in with a good attack stat makes a Pokemon offense-suitable. Mega Absol makes a great sweeper - super fast with a mega attack stat

instantice
11-06-2013, 05:05 AM
i see so with my current team being charizard y, blaziken, gengar, garchomp, scizor, chesnaught, they dont seem to be a very good team huh?

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
11-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Charizard Y and Blaziken are good sweepers, especially with the right moves. 2 Fire-types might be problematic but it's not terrible since you have Chesnaught to balance out the typings.
Gengar and Garchomp and good too. I think Blaziken should be switched for a Special Attacker
Scizor is awesome, and Chesanaught is awesome. Chesnaught is physically defensive, and I'd personally trade Scizor for a more specially defensive Pokemon, but it still works

all those first 5 aren't megas right? that becomes a problem whenn one dies

Del
11-06-2013, 10:46 PM
I agree with TheManyFacesOfGlalie, your team consists of good pokemon, but you need some more specially invested pokemon. It looks like mainly your team is too invested in physical attack and defense as a result you can be prayed on by special sweepers.
Also think about typing, for example Chesnaught has a quadruple weakness to flying types...So think maybe about a steel type pokemon or something else that will resist flying types as I don't think you have any pokemon that will be super effective against flying types.(Unless Garchomp/Blaziken know stone edge)
Again 2 fire types is somewhat risky...it might put too much reliance upon Chestnaught to counter fire's weaknesses.
Furthermore, you need something to counter fairies as half your team, Garchomp, Blaziken and Chestnaught are super effected by them. Fairies, in my opinion have proven to be incredible powerful despite all the hate. They are super effected by steel and poison(Both good defensive types!), but resist bug/dark/fighting and have an immunity to dragon types!
If I were you I'd consider finding a good sp.attack and sp.defense pokemon to balance the team.
Hope I helped, if even a little...I only use the pokemon I like as well, I don't see a point in playing with pokemon I dislike just to win.

instantice
11-07-2013, 02:48 AM
yes there all mega evo ones, i switched out blaziken for a greninja whos a special attacker, talonflame for scizor and as we speak im trying to breed a shiny honedge with great defense since its steel. i dont like many fairy types sylveon and azumarill are just 2 exceptions but i dont like them enough to breed and EV train them.

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
11-07-2013, 03:55 PM
yes there all mega evo ones, i switched out blaziken for a greninja whos a special attacker, talonflame for scizor and as we speak im trying to breed a shiny honedge with great defense since its steel. i dont like many fairy types sylveon and azumarill are just 2 exceptions but i dont like them enough to breed and EV train them.

You should really not use all those Megas on one team. If you Mega Evolve one Pokemon in a battle, you can Mega Evolve any of the other ones, even if you switch out or it dies.

Sylveon would actually fit nicely on your team - It's specially defensive, Fairy-type gives you different coverage and Dragon-type immunity, and it's just adorable. Perfect!

For Aegislash, you need to pour EVs in HP and Attack, and give it Brave Nature and the attack King's Shield. Beautiful Aegislash set - Switch to Shield Forme in between attacks (by using King's Shield) and it'll be incredibly hard to take down. Also avoid priority moves, you want it to say in Shield Forme as long as possible (thus, Brave Nature, since it lowers Speed)

Baby Koga
11-08-2013, 04:32 PM
As far as battle and pokemon choice advice goes, I think what others have said pretty much covers it. What I would say is that loosing isn't really a bad thing as long as you learn from it. Observe the Pokemon that do a lot of damage to your team and idetify the weaknesses. You just have to find a battle style that suits you. I used to think battling was all about speed, but after taking some bad losses I became a defensive trainer with maybe one or 2 speed demons. I use Pokemon like Sudowoodo and Electabuzz on Pokemon Showdown who are very capable of holding their own and have their own niche in my team. I sometimes use my Butterfree too who has taken down a Cresselia. Just experiment and most importantly have fun! :)

KillerConall
11-23-2013, 04:16 AM
Something to note is what kind of battle do you prefer, single or double? If you prefer single then look on smogon and see what they say about your favourites, if you prefer doubles then look on nugget bridge and see what happens there.

The Kiwi Dragon
11-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Something to note is what kind of battle do you prefer, single or double? If you prefer single then look on smogon and see what they say about your favourites, if you prefer doubles then look on nugget bridge and see what happens there.

Nugget Bridge is for VGC rather than doubles. They both are Double Battles, but VGC is a different metagame to Doubles. You could kinda think of doubles like the NU, RU, UU, OU and Uber tiers. Everyone does them, but they're not officially recognised by real-life tournament organisers, who only believe VGC is the only truly official metagame. The difference is, in Doubles anything can come to the party. You just need to build a team with anyone, with good synergy and you'll be fine. VGC is the opposite, banning major legendaries/event legendaries and Chatot. Plus Doubles you can build the most offensive strategy and you'll use it to your advantage. VGC is all about predicting where to attack and defend by using Protect/Detect and now Aegislash is in, Kings Shield will be a highly viable option for the metagame. But also VGC14 allows you to use only Pokemon found within the Kalos Pokedex. Not like picking anyone for Doubles. So in reality, if you want Doubles go to Smogon. If you want VGC go to Nugget Bridge and/or Smogon.

macheagle52
11-24-2013, 06:51 AM

One thing I would note is your team is a little predictable or they all have set play styles.

-Charizard Y is a strong special attacker but his physical defense is a little above average, his speed is fairly good, but rocks completely destroy him still

-Greninja can be fairly unpredictable if he has the protean ability, otherwise he's easy to take down. He has poor defenses so any strong attack has a chance to knock him out.

-Gengar is also a strong special attacker and quite fast but he also has very poor defenses. Usually if a pokemon can survivor and attack from gengar and hit back with a super effective attack has the possibility to knock him out

-Garchomp is a pretty good poke. Fast and strong but you'll need to watch out for ice attacks, those will wreck him

-Talonflame is good, but you should really only consider using him if you have gale wings as an abilty. In that case, your strategy will probably be: brave bird/acrobatics or flare blitz everything. While it works fairly well, it's predictable, talonflame's attack isn't fantastic, and like Charizard Y, rocks are bad news

-Chesnaught is a little above average. He does have good defense and attack but his low speed may cause him to be outsped and KO'd before he can attack, you'll need to be careful of that.

-Aegislash is also a good poke but it can be taken down if your opponent plays it right. For one, taunt shuts down kings shield and swords dance if you have that too. To avoid the attack drop from king's shield, all your opponent needs to do is use earthquake or special attacks. While Aegislash is good when used well, he may be the most predictable poke you have (which could be good or bad).

None of your pokes are bad, but you do have some areas that you're weak in:
-Rocks: be it rock attacks, or stealth rocks. They severely threaten your charizard and talonflame.
-On the note of stealth rocks, if your opponent plays sticky web, that will hurt you since most of your team relies on hitting hard and fast to be of use. You may want to look into a rapid spinner (starmie, tentacruel, hitmontop, etc) or a poke that knows defog
-You don't really have a counter to water pokes, I wouldn't count on Chesnaught being your only counter to them (gyrados, starmie, and slowbro are just a few that can easily beat him)
-Since most of your team is kinda frail, it may be worthwhile to consider more defensive pokes like sylveon or goodra (mega mawile and mega bannete are both fairly defensive also, surprisingly)

That's all I've got for now. Like I said, your team isn't bad it just has some holes I think you should address. There are plenty of other good pokes so if you decide to replace any others, you have quite a bit of options. Sorry for rambling, but hope this helps.