PDA

View Full Version : Catching shinys

Horseless
11-08-2013, 11:06 PM
So i was wondering, with method do you find yourself useing when trying to get a shiny? And what method have you had most luck with?

Personally i always come back to breeding. Because i find it very relaxing and there is not much that can go wrong. Cant really see myself getting into chaning, cause it just doesnt feel like you get anything when the chain breaks...

instantice
11-08-2013, 11:38 PM
i tried breeding i bred like 90 eggs for a shiny honedge and idk i just gave up if i was serious i might go for a shiny charmander and shiny froakie, mudkip, eevee(umbreon or sylveon) and then a shiny beldum. the only shinys i really like though.

Raziel
11-09-2013, 05:08 AM
I'm trying to chain, and I swear to Bob, if I break one more, I'm gonna break my DS... T.T

Honestly, I've only ever seen one legit native shiny in my whole Pokemon career...

Rogue D. Uchiha
11-09-2013, 08:19 AM
I love Masuda Method and agree it's one of the easiest
But RNG is a lot easier xP you can't in 6th gen though ... At least yet hahah

Rogue D. Uchiha
11-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Haha**

Threa
11-10-2013, 11:23 PM
I hatched was felt like nearly a thousand Froakie eggs using the Mesuda Method and on the brink of insanity decided to try a Friend Safari. I caught all three shinies from the same Friend Safari, including a shiny Frogadier within 30 minutes. I am convinced Friend Safari is the fastest way to capture shines.

macheagle52
11-11-2013, 05:33 AM
I've run into five shinys via hordes. I use horde battles to EV train my pokes and every now and then one turns up to be shiny, always a nice surprise.

Mica
11-15-2013, 08:52 AM
I personally have never had luck with the Masuda Method and I suck at chaining in the grass but chain fishing definitely is pretty easy so far I've found at least 6-7 shiny Pokemon all from fishing in different spots. ^-^

instantice
11-16-2013, 05:27 AM
my gf just caught a shiny druggigon or however it spelt looks better green and orange. i have yet to find a shiny and i play like constantly. im convinced it has to do with the game cartridge like its set for so many shinys or how many you can find. idk thats what i always thought not the possibilities of 1 in 8k or mesuda method. although ive tried the masuda method and hatched like 300 honedge eggs and had no luck. i would love a shiny froakie, charmander, eevee(umbreon), and a shiny dratini or beldum. would be pretty cool to have them. any shiny with the right nature and right stats and EV train it to be strong is something i would love to happen. would be nice to have this unique pokemon at my side in battle.

Toira
11-16-2013, 08:42 AM
I personally have never had luck with the Masuda Method and I stuck at chaining in the grass but chain fishing definitely is pretty easy so far I've found at least 6-7 shiny Pokemon all from fishing in different spots. ^-^

did it take you long? I tried for the 2nd time last night, got 52 chains and then nothing was biting at that point. ;_;

like, how many times did you try and around what number of chains did you usually get it? i'm going to try and keep track of this as i go along.

yea...i have pretty bad luck so far with shinies. i play an online game with a similar pokemon engine to fire red; still no shinies that i've encountered or caught. i might try breeding if i have to, but it sounds like there are easier ways now.

Mica
11-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Yeah it took between 1-3 hours depending on what I was trying to find and if you know all the rules it becomes extremely simple ^-^

On Route 16 there is a Fishing Shack where a Fisherman teaches you about "Fishing Streaks". As he explains, a fishing streak is simply fishing up Pokemon back-to-back, without every missing out on a bite. He challenges you to beat his streak of 7 hooked Pokemon in a row, and for this he rewards you with 20 Dive Balls.

Once completed, he gives a hint as to the true purpose of fishing streaks:
"This is just a rumor, but word is that you can catch some rare Pokemon through consecutive fishing!"
With this knowledge, it has been all but confirmed through testing that these "rare" Pokemon that he alludes to are in fact Shiny Pokemon.

What won't break your streak:

-fainting the wild Pokemon
-running from battles - (although personally I use fainting action seems to work better)
-Running into other pokemon such as in ones your not trying to chain

What will break your streak:

-getting the "Nothing seems to be biting...
-getting the "No! You reeled it in too fast!"
-getting the "No! You reeled it in too slow!"
-exiting the area in which you're fishing
-getting into a battle that isn't through fishing
-exiting the game

What might possibly break a streak based on a few reports (needs 100% confirmation):

-Encountering a shiny Pokemon (I'm pretty sure this one does break you streak because after I caught and encountered my shiny I would go as high as 35-45 consecutive casts right after that and see nothing til I messed up.)
-Capturing a Pokemon (not sure about this one only Pokemon I caught was the shiny)

What is unlikely to break a streak based on a few reports (needs 100% confirmation):

-Switching to different rods during a streak (I've done it a couple times on accident but to avoid having this happen I just have one rod selected in case it does break the streak)
-Going into the menu (doesn't seem to matter)
-Putting the system into Sleep Mode (haven't tried it)

Other advice:
different rods catch different Pokemon depending on what you're trying to catch select the rod accordingly, dive balls work best if you have high level Pokemon so you don't have to attack it or worry about killing your shiny once you encounter it, always fish near rocks seems to have better luck then open water look for the sparkles in the water every time I've fished near those and rocks I've found a shiny Pokemon it might just be a personal thing with the sparkles, but fish near rocks definitely makes a difference, most importantly have a Pokemon with the ability suction cups as your lead Pokemon it helps keep Pokemon on the hook I personally use my Inky he was level 30 when I started but now he's level 92 and together we've caught at least 6-7 shiny Pokemon in total, once you've caught your first shiny Pokemon I suggest you move to a totally different area as in a different town and follow the steps of near rocks and sparkling water and fish there to get your next shiny I know for a fact it worked for me and once you've turned your game off and on again the next day you can go back and fish in the same spots with different rods and catch shiny Pokemon again, it takes between 1-3 hours to find your first shiny Pokemon so you have to be patient, and if you mess up by reeling in to fast or to slow just keep going until you find one the chain starts over but from your previous chain the odds still go up so you just have to keep at it, the longest chain for me to get a shiny horsea was 55 others normally take anywhere from 35-45 so as you faint Pokemon count the number of moves used to keep count on how long your chain is. Well that's just about everything I hope this helps you find many shiny fishing Pokemon! ^-^ If you have any more questions let me know and I'll answer them to my best ability!

instantice
11-18-2013, 05:03 AM
i fished up to 32 times and it said nothing seems to be biting. do you get a shiny in each round or whats the statistics about how many rounds of fishing you got to up to until you can get a shiny.

Lord Of Storms
11-18-2013, 05:14 AM
fishing is the one way the i got my first shiny i kept getting hundreds of chains and then the nothing seems to be biting, and i flipped out and then once after just 40 or so chains, i got a 7 chain and the a shiny i got a shiny adamant rock head relicanth, but i must have gone through hundreds of pokemon to find it, but im really unlucky, and i have thousands of hours between all my games ( not even exagerating ) i play way to much its not healthy....

Voltaradragoness
11-18-2013, 05:47 AM
chain fishing so far has been best for me. It took me about and hour and a half but i did get my shiny Luvdisc. Another 2 hours later came my shiny Clauncher. Now i'm in friend safari looking for a shiny Espurr

Enamored
11-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Heard of instacheck + shiny value? :P
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000458-pokemon-x-y-trading/67856013

Mica
11-19-2013, 07:35 AM
i fished up to 32 times and it said nothing seems to be biting. do you get a shiny in each round or whats the statistics about how many rounds of fishing you got to up to until you can get a shiny.

Did you have a Pokemon with the ability suction cups as your lead Pokemon it needs to be first in your party for the ability to take effect also if you were fishing on open water that can happen try fishing near rocks also if you moved even a little bit that could cause that to happen to have to stay in one spot for it to work, and one more thing it takes about 30-40 before finding a shiny pokemon some many take long I have two go over that amount horsea being 55 chain and recently goldeen being 110 the shortest chain being basculin being a chain of 17 but the average for most of the shiny Pokemon I found were between 35-44. Also if you did everything correctly and your still not getting a bite move to a different spot.

Toira
11-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks for your help Mica. I will try shiny hunting again soon. I'm sure it will work. I think the time I got 52 chains, I hadn't talked to the guy yet to tell him I had beat his record. >.> I had spoken to the other one, though, because I knew you had to do that first to initiate consecutive fishing in the first place. I hope I get some shinies! My goal is shiny dragonair, but I have a feeling it will be tough.

Mica
11-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Your welcome I'm glad I could be helpful and it could have been just a bad spot sometimes that happens I had a stupid Goldeen take a chain of 110 before finding it, went through the first 3 Pokemon in my party maxing out moves til they struggled and died before I found it and right after that third one died I said to myself that's it! if this next one isn't a shiny I'm leaving and going somewhere else and wouldn't you know it bam there it was after I caught it left went to fish somewhere else and after a chain of 19 shiny Skrelp. Getting the first one started is always the toughest but after you find the first one finding the next is pretty easy. ^-^ Yeah Dragonair can be pretty tough just because it's an uncommon find on it's own so chaining it can be pretty tough I tried chaining for a shiny Dratini for a friend of mine and the stupid shiny basculin broke my chain at 17 so now I have to wait awhile before trying to chain in that area again >.< in any case using that guide I put up for you with notes I've added in these are all the shiny Pokemon I've caught following it : Magikarp, Goldeen, Skrelp, Dragalge, Horsea, Relicanth, Remoraid, Octillery, Alomomola, Whiscash, and Basculin. So hopefully you'll have some luck yourself in finding shiny Pokemon of your own via fishing. ^-^

Toira
11-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Hmm, I don't know if I'm misunderstanding, but does this mean you should try to encounter the same pokemon over and over for it to be a 'chain' or just deal with what RNG gives you and hope that your shiny will come along? I'm scared I'm misunderstanding somehow and will mess up my chances hahaha. xD Unfortunately there's only like 1 spot I think? For dragonair/dratini, but I have heard super rod is the way to go when it comes to dratini/dragonair (not sure why). I used inkay with suction cup and all that, but I don't know if that effects getting the same pokemon..

edit: I will also try going near the shiny spots and rocks. I tried going to the shiny spots along route 8, as well, but I wasn't using inkay then and kept getting no bites. I'll have to try it again. I feel like starmie looks really pale in this game, but I still wouldn't mind a shiny starmie lol.

Horseless
11-19-2013, 11:47 PM
The chain dont break if you get another pokemon, its pure RNG as to what shiny you will find.

Toira
11-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Got a shiny qwilfish around 57 chains (maybe more, it was pretty late so I don't remember) last night; I fished near some rocks and a shiny spot (southern area of route 8 in the water, next to a few small rocks and a large one) not as low that it becomes the next area!!! you will notice you've gone too far if you start getting remoraid and all that. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. n_n I hope to find more shinies this way; this was my first OT shiny from any of the games, and first shiny encounter! Woo!

Mica
11-23-2013, 04:06 AM
Congrats way to go and yeah like Horseless said every Pokemon encounter counts towards your chain running into a different one doesn't break the chain it's a game of waiting, patients, and accuracy and sometimes it doesn't work right away and having suction cups isn't always a guarantee but anyways congrats on your first shiny I wish you luck catching more and I'm happy I could help! ^-^