PDA

View Full Version : EV and IV training.....

Katarina
02-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Okay...I don't know how to do this so would someone please try to explain to me how to EV and IV train a pokemon?....I don't really care for it, but I want to give it a try...none of my friends can explain it to me so I wanna ask y'all :) I know that sometimes, it gives you pokerus, and it makes ur pokemon fight like it's on steroids.

or send me a website that explains it?...

macheagle52
02-24-2014, 07:22 PM
EVs and IVs are slightly different from each other in that pokemon aquire IVs when you breed them and they can't be changed no matter what. EVs on the other hand are acquired when your pokemon battle other pokemon. Each pokemon has a set EV yield (geodude gives you 1 in defense while spinda gives you 1 in special attack and so on) and when you beat it, you earn that EV amount. For every 4 EVs you earn in a stat, your stat total goes up 1 full point, that doesn't seem like much but you're able to get a max of 252 in any stat which corresponds to a stat increase of 63 points. You have to be careful EV training though because a pokemon can have at the most 510 EVs so you need to plan out where you will put your EVs. IV breeding is a little trickier so I'll post alink below to guide you with that along with an EV guide.

EV guide: http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/1ounim/list_of_horde_encounters_and_ev_values_useful_for/

IV guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81MWuGT-9XI

Katarina
02-24-2014, 07:29 PM
ok....now how do i check the pokemons EVs and IVs...?....and if i got like 4IVs, could I still EV train afterwords?

coolboy
02-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Ivs are, lets say, the stats your pokemon are born with, once a pokemon is born/caught those ivs will not change, you have 6 different ivs (1 for each stat) that range from 0 (worst) to 31 (best)
Evs are how much extra points you wanna give to x stat, you have a total of 510 (although really you only use 508) only restricted by a a max of 252 per stat (for example 252 in atk, 252 in speed, and 6 leftovers for whichever you decide), like said above 4 evs make you +1 on the chosen stat, so whenever you ev train you might wanna make it in multiples of 4

To check Ivs theres a dude at the top left of Kiloude pokemon center, he wont tell you the exact Ivs you pokemon have but he will tell you rate your pokemon based on the sum of all the ivs, this gives you a rough idea of how good it is, he will also tell you the best iv (or ivs in case you have a tie between 2 or more) followed by a phrase that will tell you how high it is, in addition of telling you in case any of your stats Ivs are 0
To check your Evs simple use the super training feature, it gives you a chart of on ev spread you have, again, doesnt give you an exact number but it gives you a really good idea

macheagle52
02-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Here's the IV guy coolboy mentioned http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stats_judge#In_Generation_VI

coolboy
02-24-2014, 08:24 PM
And yes, you can ev train on top of any stat regardless of the iv it has, but you gotta plan how you gonna ev train, you dont wanna waste evs on stats you dont use, for example, you dont wanna give atk evs to a pokemon that only has sp atks, or you dont wanna give defensive/sp def evs on a shedinja, you can erase evs in case you made a mistake by using shakes or certain berries
As for ivs your kinda stuck with what you get HOWEVER there are ways to breed ivs, iv breeding is kinda tricky but a LOT easier this generation, if youre into competitive battling then i suggest you look for a perfect iv breeding guide, basicly tells you how to breed down ivs using safari dittos

Katarina
02-24-2014, 08:43 PM
so for, say, the shedinja...what EVs would be best to give it and why? is it because he only has 1 HP, so he basically has no defense?

macheagle52
02-24-2014, 10:22 PM
For shedinja, the only stats that matter for him are attack and speed so you'd want to give him 252 EVs in both. His hp/defense/special defense don't matter at all because it only takes one hit to knock him out.

Katarina
02-24-2014, 10:36 PM
okay. so how do i judge a pokemon like lucario or a rattata? im such a noob at this...i get shedinja. I add in the EVs where they aren't lacked? like with a blissey, i wouldn't add anything to its defense and sp defense because of all the HP it already has?

macheagle52
02-24-2014, 11:15 PM
When you EV train, you want to enhance a pokemon's strengths rather than patch up their weaknesses. For example, the stats on gengar imply that you would want to train his special attack and speed because his stats are spread out in a way that he is built to hit hard and hit fast. Gengar has pretty poor defenses so even if you EV trained him defensively, he would still be frail and wouldn't be able to hit as hard. You would focus on gengar's special attack over attack because his special attack is much higher so he can hit pokemon harder with special attacks.

When you start to plan on how to EV train your pokemon you should first look at the way their stats are distributed and then give them EVs in their best stats. To help give you suggestions on how to train your pokemon check out Smogon's database:http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/ . For the most part they have some good ideas and suggestions but don't be afraid to think outside of the box every now and again.

Katarina
02-24-2014, 11:27 PM
ok, I get it now XD so I would add EVs on a rattata's attack and speed rather than on his sp attack and HP, because that's where he's best at

macheagle52
02-24-2014, 11:34 PM
Bingo, you got it. One last comment, the outline for EV training I mentioned above isn't what you do 100% of the time. Sometimes there are pokemon where the best EV spread doesn't compliment their stats. A quick example of that is blissey: most people throw 252 EVs into blissey's defense even though it is nowhere near being blissey's best stat. The reason they do this is blissey's defense is so pitiful that most physical attacks could knock it out but by giving it defense EVs, it could survive a hit it couldn't otherwise. It just takes time getting used to the whole process.

Katarina
02-24-2014, 11:47 PM
so for some pkmn, I can send maybe a large portion to where they need it (like blissey's defense), and just throw a little more where it can be enhanced? maybe send a little towards blissey's speed and sp attack? last q, i promise :)

macheagle52
02-24-2014, 11:59 PM
That could work, I haven't tried that EV spread myself. Most people say you EV train blissey in defense and then either hp or special defense but there isn't a law that says you can't do it the way you said. If you look around online (or ask on the forums here), people will give you what they think is the optimal way to raise a given pokemon. You can either take what they say and copy it or you can modify it a little bit to the way you see fit. I've done it both ways.

Katarina
02-25-2014, 12:16 AM
ok, thank you! :D

coolboy
02-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Its really up to your strategy, for example
I Ev trained my volcarona on defense so it endure at least 1 hit and was able to quiver dance and attack back hard next turn
You can also try and ev train a zoroark in atk instead of special and use fisical attacks along with sword dance, try get your enemy off guard
Lucario is a good example since you can run him as a fisical attacker, sp attacker or mixed, all of them are ev trained differently (you also gotta watch out for natures), but yea, smogon i really a nice place to look up strategies and such

Katarina
02-25-2014, 06:25 PM
im not big on moves like quiver dance. i'm more of a 1 K.O. hit kinda person XD