PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Battling

MORNING SUN
03-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Every time I want to battle, I keep seeing the same techniques over and over again, copied and pasted directly from Smogon. It is becoming so predictable that it hurts. What I surmise this means is that everybody would rather win than have fun. I have a team of my favorite Pokemon, NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE OU, OR BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE HAS ONE, but because I genuinely like them. But it is so hard to have fun when some **** chucks out a perfect Skill-Link Cloyster and kills a fire type with icicle spear. And everybody and their fat*** mother has a protean Greninja, I mean HOW COULD YOU NOT? And let's not forget about Prankster Klefki. USING SPIKES FIVE TIMES SHOULD DEFINITELY DO THE TRICK I THINK YOU'RE COVERED. And occasionally I see Technician/Skill-Link Cinccino who apparently has the strength of Thor's testicles. And Mega Kangaskhan's only natural predator is Jackie Chan, so unless you've got him you're screwed. And don't get me started on Wash Rotom or I will marinate your nuts twice.

WHAT MAKES YOU DIFFERENT FROM EVERYBODY ELSE JAVI? "COME AT ME"? OKAY GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS AND DIRECTIONS TO YOUR HOME AND I WILL GLADLY OBLIGE YOU PASTRY. YOUR DRAGONITE TOOK HITS LIKE A *****.

"U TROLL"
I DIDN'T SAY A WORD YOU PIECE OF WEAK **** GET OUT OF HERE

KingKyrl
03-21-2014, 12:11 AM
I want to battle ?

The Kiwi Dragon
03-21-2014, 01:34 AM
Every time I want to battle, I keep seeing the same techniques over and over again, copied and pasted directly from Smogon. It is becoming so predictable that it hurts. What I surmise this means is that everybody would rather win than have fun. I have a team of my favorite Pokemon, NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE OU, OR BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE HAS ONE, but because I genuinely like them. But it is so hard to have fun when some dick chucks out a perfect Skill-Link Cloyster and kills a fire type with icicle spear. And everybody and their fat-ass mother has a protean Greninja, I mean HOW COULD YOU NOT? And let's not forget about Prankster Klefki. USING SPIKES FIVE TIMES SHOULD DEFINITELY DO THE TRICK I THINK YOU'RE COVERED. And occasionally I see Technician/Skill-Link Cinccino who apparently has the strength of Thor's testicles. And Mega Kangaskhan's only natural predator is Jackie Chan, so unless you've got him you're screwed. And don't get me started on Wash Rotom or I will marinate your nuts twice.

WHAT MAKES YOU DIFFERENT FROM EVERYBODY ELSE JAVI? "COME AT ME"? OKAY GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS AND DIRECTIONS TO YOUR HOME AND I WILL GLADLY OBLIGE YOU PASTRY. YOUR DRAGONITE TOOK HITS LIKE A B****.

"U TROLL"
I DIDN'T SAY A WORD YOU PIECE OF WEAK S**T GET OUT OF HERE

1. No swearing please.
2. Big deal everyone uses sets from Smogon, you can't change it so just live with it. I personally use Greninja because I like it's design. Did you consider people may use that Pokemon because of an attachment toward it?
3. If you don't like it that everyone is so predictable, perhaps you should try VGC. That's where the real competition is.

GaryEhffinJoaker
03-21-2014, 02:28 AM
Every time I want to battle, I keep seeing the same techniques over and over again, copied and pasted directly from Smogon. It is becoming so predictable that it hurts. What I surmise this means is that everybody would rather win than have fun. I have a team of my favorite Pokemon, NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE OU, OR BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE HAS ONE, but because I genuinely like them. But it is so hard to have fun when some dick chucks out a perfect Skill-Link Cloyster and kills a fire type with icicle spear. And everybody and their fat-ass mother has a protean Greninja, I mean HOW COULD YOU NOT? And let's not forget about Prankster Klefki. USING SPIKES FIVE TIMES SHOULD DEFINITELY DO THE TRICK I THINK YOU'RE COVERED. And occasionally I see Technician/Skill-Link Cinccino who apparently has the strength of Thor's testicles. And Mega Kangaskhan's only natural predator is Jackie Chan, so unless you've got him you're screwed. And don't get me started on Wash Rotom or I will marinate your nuts twice.

WHAT MAKES YOU DIFFERENT FROM EVERYBODY ELSE JAVI? "COME AT ME"? OKAY GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS AND DIRECTIONS TO YOUR HOME AND I WILL GLADLY OBLIGE YOU PASTRY. YOUR DRAGONITE TOOK HITS LIKE A B****.

"U TROLL"
I DIDN'T SAY A WORD YOU PIECE OF WEAK S**T GET OUT OF HERE

Cursing aside, I agree.*shrugs*

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
03-21-2014, 02:34 AM
This is literally the most accurate thing, it's like playing COD or any other shooting game online. People all do the same things because their real goal is to win, because they think they'll be able to make it to big competitions or something and then they also get to brag to their friends, etc.

I'm with you though, in a less violent/aggressive way ( almost as much cursing as a JAY-Z song). I use things I like and I refuse to use things like Scizor, purely because I dislike it, regardless of how good I know it is competitively.

Ash
03-21-2014, 02:49 AM
Wow.
So competitive.
Much feels.
Very protean.
Such OU.
Wow.

Such words deserve an award. (◡‿◡✿)

MORNING SUN
03-21-2014, 03:36 AM
I apologize for my language, I see now that I flew off the handle.

GaryEhffinJoaker
03-21-2014, 03:39 AM
I apologize for my language, I see now that I flew off the handle.

Yes, you very well did. I'd edit your post to clear out the language if I were you, but, for what it's worth, I personally admire and applaud your blatant speech and brutal honesty.

stormwalker22
03-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Yah, I don't really battle at all anymore because almost everyone does stuff like that. It ruins the fun of it.

Porygon-ZZZ
03-21-2014, 01:03 PM
You should challenge Aegislash <.< He'll show you that OU isn't always just the same Pokémon over and over. I was trained in OU and recently went off it due to the fact I wanted to try something different. The OU players aren't the annoying ones... It's the people who can predict you and they use Legends... That's the annoying bit. Other than that I kinda agree with ya.

Kamina
03-22-2014, 10:42 PM
yah competitive pokemon is pretty stale since most people start using the most overused in order to win, but that is the point of competitive pokemon/anything [atm is top 10 in showdown x/y ou].Cinccino and Cloyster are pretty easy to deal with.

ThePreachingOcelot
03-26-2014, 07:52 PM
I only use Lawnmower Rotom, Wash Rotoms natural repellent and I like using pokemon and I only use my Fav pokes. I study pokemon and I know movesets from my own knowledge. I only use pokemon are entirely made to counter Smogon sets and I crush teams. Plus, they are my Fav pokes.

Layton
03-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Oh thank the Lord someone on this site who finally agrees! \(@_@)/ People who use Smogon and their rules wouldn't bother me as much... If they didn't try to force the rules on me. I was battling with someone yesterday or the other day who saw my Tyranitar is holding a quick Claw "DAT Banned quick claw :p I'll let it slide" Like EXCUUUUSEEE you? >.> Who are you to tell me to use Smogon's rules? I don't like Smogon and therefor will not use their rules. You can if you want, but don't expect me to -.-
Stupid Smogon banning a "luck based item" but it's perfectly fine to paralyze your enemy, use protect, let the leftofers/shell bell heal you, and then use recover because you can't move. Wtf how do you call that fair? Smogon is getting out of hand. They are NO ONE to tell others how to battle.

They don't even make up the rules for competitive battling, and yet people take their word as law...

Iamhollywood
04-05-2014, 12:33 AM
"And occasionally I see Technician/Skill-Link Cinccino who apparently has the strength of Thor's testicles."

That was pure brilliance x]

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
04-07-2014, 09:40 PM
I only use Lawnmower Rotom, Wash Rotoms natural repellent and I like using pokemon and I only use my Fav pokes. I study pokemon and I know movesets from my own knowledge. I only use pokemon are entirely made to counter Smogon sets and I crush teams. Plus, they are my Fav pokes.

This is how I always make teams. I almost always use Umbreon as a Specially Defensive mon in partnership with Venusaur now because Umbreon is awesome looking, and because it's the only that that doesn't get destroyed by Psyshock Alakazam thanks to the immunity. A lot of OU battlers are also predictable so I carry every type immunity possible with me xD They rage quit all the time when Flash Fire Chandy comes in and absorbs a Fire-type move. So I get wins and I'm using my fav Pokes ^^

Lol I used Miltank in OU last year (5th gen) and omgggggg so many people got angry. "WTF IS A MILTANK DOING HERE" "DID YOU MEAN TO PLAY NU?" Miltank is adorable and evil though and it's immune to Grass moves (Sap Sipper) xD

Oh thank the Lord someone on this site who finally agrees! \(@_@)/ People who use Smogon and their rules wouldn't bother me as much... If they didn't try to force the rules on me. I was battling with someone yesterday or the other day who saw my Tyranitar is holding a quick Claw "DAT Banned quick claw :p I'll let it slide" Like EXCUUUUSEEE you? >.> Who are you to tell me to use Smogon's rules? I don't like Smogon and therefor will not use their rules. You can if you want, but don't expect me to -.-
Stupid Smogon banning a "luck based item" but it's perfectly fine to paralyze your enemy, use protect, let the leftofers/shell bell heal you, and then use recover because you can't move. Wtf how do you call that fair? Smogon is getting out of hand. They are NO ONE to tell others how to battle.

They don't even make up the rules for competitive battling, and yet people take their word as law...

I'm actually I member of Smogon, I skulk around seeing what's supposedly common and I usually catch the new "Most overused Pokemon" before it gets out into WiFi. People that use it just hate "luck" with a burning passion. "Luck-based strategy isn't real, an infant can win like that", seriously though people say things like that, and Klefki has been causing a storm of this since the beginning of competitive 6th gen, people want to ban the TWave/Swagger/Foul Play Sets for being luck-based, but A) A simple Ground-type (like the massively overused Excadrill) destroys this, and B) If someone relies on luck and they outluck you, good for them, Pokemon is all luck, and oyu honestly can't remove it.

If they want to remove "luck" they should just ban Flamethrower for that 30% burn chance and ban WoW for the "shaky accuracy" because that's the same thing they are saying about other similar strats. This was never meant to be a mechanical game, the entire game is luck-based to some extent no matter what you ban, and I think that's what Smogon people have failed to realize so far in their cleansing.

The only rule that should really exist is No Legends, but only on principle, since people would just load up on legends and make the games no fun on wifi.

On another note about the Smogon rules, last gen I actually purposely disregarded them to make a point. People call certain Pokemon useless or terrible, but they actually do amazingly well if you allow Evasion. IE, Cradily. Not weak to the always accurate attacks, and with Double Team, Ingrain, Bind, and a Hidden Power to deal with Ghost-types (holding Grip Claw), this thing is unstoppable. People argue that "Evasion takes away strategy", but that's what moves like.. Hone Claws and Aerial Ace/Other perfect Accruacy Moves... are for, you even get Defog which people are loving. It reduces Evasion so at the very least you can try to get rid of their Evasion or PP Stall them. It adds more unpredictability to the game, and much more planning and strategy. I can tell you safely that if these things were unbanned, most OU players would not know what to do.

Layton
04-09-2014, 03:34 AM
Sorry if it seemed disrespectful and/or rude to simply assume that all people who use Smogon are so... Tightly wound, for lack of a better phrase. My apologies if I had offended you.

And I agree, if you're gonna ban Quick Claw, may as well ban Togekiss with Serene Grace or moves like Flamethrower or Thunderbolt. It is and entirely luck based game, I don't believe it was ever intended to become as mechanic as some people are making it.
And I lost it reading "And occasionally I see Technician/Skill-Link Cinccino who apparently has the strength of Thor's testicles." xD Too funny! Although I know someone with a Cinccino like that and it's very frustrating to battle it.

Basel
04-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Am i the only one who doesn't know what a Smogon is? i thought it might be a pokemon but i don't think that's the case now. Can someone please explain my stupid or noob question of what it is?

TheManyFacesOfGlalie
04-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Sorry if it seemed disrespectful and/or rude to simply assume that all people who use Smogon are so... Tightly wound, for lack of a better phrase. My apologies if I had offended you.

And I agree, if you're gonna ban Quick Claw, may as well ban Togekiss with Serene Grace or moves like Flamethrower or Thunderbolt. It is and entirely luck based game, I don't believe it was ever intended to become as mechanic as some people are making it.
And I lost it reading "And occasionally I see Technician/Skill-Link Cinccino who apparently has the strength of Thor's testicles." xD Too funny! Although I know someone with a Cinccino like that and it's very frustrating to battle it.

Yes and they did end up banning the move Swagger too!

I've never had the grace of battling a Cinccino hehe xD

Am i the only one who doesn't know what a Smogon is? i thought it might be a pokemon but i don't think that's the case now. Can someone please explain my stupid or noob question of what it is?

Smogon is just a website for people that battle competitively, which means they treat it like a sport basically. If you really get into a sport you learn the other team's stats, figure out their strategies, and give up anything to win. That's basically what the really competitive battlers at Smogon do.

They build a team centered around a certain strategy, and they are all derived from Offense and Stall (I love stall so much). Hyper Offense, for example, is a team built of really fast and really powerful Pokemon, and they 99% of the time don't have anything other than Attack moves. Sometimes they carry Swords Dance and Protect, but they basically only attack, so if you look at someone's team and figure out that it's a Hyper Offensive team, all you need to do is stall, hit with priority, burn, taunt, torment, etc. Most really competitive battlers analyze teams as best as they can to figure out how they need to battle to win, and if they lose, they watch replays to figure out what they did wrong and how to fix it.

It's a pretty serious site for something that's so fun and that shouldn't be such a stressful thing. Oh well! The website is http://www.smogon.com/ if you want to take a tour. The Analyses page is where they talk abut what different Pokemon can do well in battle and how you should use them (according to them). They also have a Forum in which you can discuss the use of different items, attacks, etc. It's very interesting to see their speculation, because it's almost like a science to them.

I personally got through the forums a lot and I use strategies that get bashed a lot. For example, my physically-offensive Greninja is amazing. Water Shuriken gets priority and is a multi-hit move, and it can OHKO Talonflame after Stealth Rock if it only hits 3 times, and you don't even need Stealth Rock if it hits more than three times. Talonflame is faster if it is Jolly, but if they go Adamant (which they usually do), Greninja goes first. Pretty interesting. Talonflame is the most annoying thing right now so this is very useful. I basically stalk Smogon so I can defeat all the common strategies and make all those people reevaluate their choices.

I also build non-Smogon teams, which are much more exciting and fun! You get Evasion and Hax are allowed so it's much more interesting