PDA

View Full Version : Battle Team

stormwalker22
03-21-2014, 08:50 PM
So I have been playing pokemon sense red on the GBC, and I have never done much with battling. I have almost no experience with building teams or what are good strategies and I really need help figuring out what would be the ultimate team and how to do good during a battle. Please post anything that would help with stuff like a good team and how to use strategy during battle. And don't say use a tank or whatever those other terms are. I have no idea what exactly stuff like that is and won't get a thing you say.

starlightpichu
03-29-2014, 06:55 PM
If you still need help using a move like toxic spikes or stealth rocks help with whirlwind\roar.

One other thing is to use a level 1 ratata with focus slash and the moves quick attack and endeavor.(can be breed for this)
Use random tatics nobody realy uses then nobody knows how to stop you.

stormwalker22
03-29-2014, 07:53 PM
That Rattata thing sounds pretty cool, I will definitely try it.

macheagle52
03-29-2014, 08:16 PM
You're original post is asking for a lot stormwalker, there are a lot of different things that need to be considered when you are designing a team, and when it comes to battling. For the sake of everyone's time, I'll post a few links that lay out a good bit on competitive battling and you can look through them on your own time:

Basics: http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon
Tiers: http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_tiers
Popular movesets: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/

A few more notes, there's no such thing as an "ultimate team" with pokemon. While it's possible to build a good team that works well together, there's always going to be those few teams that are built in such a way that they counter everything you have, and that's life. Building teams isn't enough, you need to have intuition and be able to out play people to become exceptional at battling. I've seen in the past where the player with the worse off team ended up winning because they outplayed their opponent. Sorry for the long post but like I said, your post leaves room for a lot of answers.

One last note: the rattata strategy (known as FEAR) really only works against someone who doesn't know what they're doing so I wouldn't recommend trying to use many of these random tactics. They may work when you just start out and play against novice battlers, but the more advanced players won't fall for it. You'll want to rely on good team building and tactics over uncommon tricks to win.

stormwalker22
03-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Yah I know, I wasn't planning in the Rattata thing being in my final battle team, I just wanted to try it out for fun sometime. I know there isn't an "ultimate team", I just meant an above average team compared to most. Thanks for the links, I'm a complete noob at competitive battling so this is gonna help a lot.

The Kiwi Dragon
03-29-2014, 10:15 PM
When it comes to competitive Pokemon battling, there is two paths you can choose. First up is the unofficial competition of Smogon tiers (NU, RU, UU, OU, and Uber) which are mostly played in the Single Battle format. It can be fun if you don't mind being restricted on some Pokemon you may use, but can also be bad if you don't like other people dictating which Pokemon you can or cannot use. If you use Pokemon Showdown! or Pokemon Online to test strategies, a lot of the time you get snide remarks about how your Greninja's moveset was copied and pasted from the Smogon website.

The second option is VGC or Video Game Championships. Now this is what I call 'the place where the big boys play'. If you've ever heard of the Pokemon World Championships, this is what everyone plays in the VGC division. All battles are done in the Double Battle format and the rules change every year as VGC13 in Gen 5 allowed all casual Pokemon with some legendaries like Zapdos, Entei, Registeel etc but banning the big name legendary Pokemon like Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Rayquaza etc. VGC14 in Gen 6 however allows only Pokemon in the Kalos Pokedex that were born or caught and includes Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres that were caught in Kalos but banning Mewtwo, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde. Mega Evolutions in the Kalos Pokedex are allowed to participate too. Again you get restricted on what you use but to a lesser degree. In my opinion I find the VGC community websites like Nugget Bridge a lot more friendly as everyone's willing to help you out in the form of suggestions for your team and some people actually take the time to breed Pokemon specifically for you if you're really desperate.

They're both completely different from each other and I thoroughly recommend you try both formats but should you decide to play VGC come and speak to me, I'll be happy to battle you to test the strength of your team. :)