PDA

View Full Version : Mega Gyarados Moveset

stevenhazelwood24
05-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Suggestions please. Don't worry about evs and natures and stuffs, just the numeric themselves :-)

macheagle52
05-19-2014, 06:05 AM
Best set is:
-Ice Fang
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance

Céél
05-22-2014, 10:44 AM
Best set is:
-Ice Fang
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance

This is pretty much standard Gyarados, and a very decent moveset.
There are a few other moves that are viable on Gyarados as well.
Bite (STAB when mega evolved) (Gyarados can't learn crunch unfortunately)
Iron Head (deals with fairy types, which mega Gyarados is weak against) (BW2 tutor move only)
Stone Edge (higher power + crit chance than ice fang, but lower accuracy. + different type coverage)

Unfortunately Gyarados can't learn any egg moves, so your options are a bit limited.

These moves should replace Ice Fang, as the other 3 moves listed above are too important on Gyarados.
Edit: Don't get me wrong, Ice Fang is a good pick as well, just saying there are alternatives.

Kyurem-B
05-22-2014, 01:37 PM
The set I see most often is
~ Substitute / Taunt
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Bounce
Holding Leftovers, when you Mega evolve gyarados you give it twice as many weaknesses and you gain NO additional speed or HP. Not many people use gyarados as their Mega.
I would use Intimidate as your ability since I don't see gyarados OHKOing like salamence can for boosts.

Céél
05-22-2014, 03:44 PM
The ability you use doesn't matter if you mega evolve. As it will get mold breaker anyway.
And yes it gains a lot of extra weaknesses, but don't forget it loses that lethal x4 against electric ;)

Kyurem-B
05-22-2014, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't waste your mega on it either way:p Don't use it against electric pokemon and you wont have to gain 2x Weakness to electric, bug, grass, fairy which are all very common types.

Céél
05-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Well I generally don't use megas anyway because I strongly dislike them, but the guy asked for a mega gyarados moveset so I gave him one ;)
Gyarados is stil very strong if you can set up a few DD's.

Kyurem-B
05-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Just giving my advice as wellXD

stevenhazelwood24
05-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys. I am just trying to set up decent pokemon with move sets so I can chop and change my teams to bug a friend haha.

I had a rather frustrating team of Wobuffet, Shedinja, Ferrothorn (rocky helmet of course), genesect (for tri attack to bug again) and a couple of others

Kyurem-B
05-23-2014, 02:10 PM
What team does the person you're trying to beat have? We might be able to give you good ideas on how to counter it :p

stevenhazelwood24
05-25-2014, 11:12 PM
She's got a few teams but I throw in a couple if different ones to throw her off or just outright overpower her haha. She's a fan of mega Blaziken though

macheagle52
05-26-2014, 04:02 AM
If she uses mega blaziken then blow her out of the water with talonflame or azumarill