PDA

View Full Version : First team attempt!

BurstCoffee
10-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Hey there!

After some choosing and tweaking, I managed to make my first (somehow) competitive team in Pokemon Y.
Bear in mind that I picked that team because they're mostly my favourites to use, I didn't look for a perfect synergy yet but I hope this still is good enough :)

1-Wigglytuff
Nature : Impish
Ability : Frisk
Item : Rocky helmet
EVs : 252 HP, 152 Def, 100 SpDef
Moves : Stealth rock, Light screen, Knock off, Wish

2-Greninja
Nature : Timid
Ability : Protean
Item : Life Orb
EVs : 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 Def
Moves : Dark pulse, Ice beam, Hydro pump, U-turn

3-Mega Heracross
Nature : Adamant
Ability : Skill link
Item : Heracronite
EVs : 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Spd
Moves : Close combat, Rock blast, Pin missile, Bullet seed

4-Krookodile
Nature : Jolly
Ability : Moxie
Item : Leftovers
EVs : 252 Atk, 156 HP, 100 Spd
Moves : Earthquake, Crunch, Bulk up, Low kick

5-Metagross
Nature : Adamant
Ability : Clear body
Item : Assault Vest
EVs : 252 Atk, 156 HP, 100 Spd
Moves : Meteor Mash, Brick Break, Bullet Punch, Zen headbutt

6-Rotom-W
Nature : Modest
Ability : Levitate
Item : Not sure :(
EVs : 252 HP, 156 SpAtk, 100 Spd
Moves : Hydro Pump, Will-O-Wisp, I don't know yet about the rest :confused:

I know I still need a lot of improvements there. Is it a good start overall though?

Thanks!

Katarina
10-30-2014, 04:17 AM
jes >:3 I have a Rotom-W too, and the other two moves I chose was confuse ray and volt switch, and he was very useful x3

Victini's Tears
10-30-2014, 04:53 AM
You should give your Rotom-W Choice Scarf and spam Volt Switch xD But since a lot players using Scarfed Rotom-W,a lot people probably figured out how to counter those Scarfed Rotom.

- - - Updated - - -

and I would recommend you let your Greninja learn Grass Knot,its really useful when you encounter someone using a heavy Water/Ground type Pokemon ( Kyogre,Groudon,Lapras,Milotic,etc )

Pikachu Belle
10-30-2014, 10:43 AM
I personally think Mega Heracross should have Arm Thrust instead of Bullet Seed for dat STAB and Skill Link. Then switch Close Combat for Earthquake or something.

Del
10-30-2014, 12:29 PM
I know you haven't looked for perfect synergy so feel free to consider this irrelevant, my main point is from looking at your team I see an exploitable weakness to fairy, as half of your team is weak to it and fairies seem pretty common nowadays, it seems also you only have one poke in Metagross to cover the fairy weakness, which seems like Metagross is going to have a lot of pressure disposing of opposing fairies early on in game...Anyway, food for thought...

BurstCoffee
10-31-2014, 10:34 PM
jes >:3 I have a Rotom-W too, and the other two moves I chose was confuse ray and volt switch, and he was very useful x3

Hmm, Volt switch definitely sounds good. And Confuse ray sounds like another annoying option, so that sounds pretty good :)

You should give your Rotom-W Choice Scarf and spam Volt Switch xD But since a lot players using Scarfed Rotom-W,a lot people probably figured out how to counter those Scarfed Rotom.

- - - Updated - - -

and I would recommend you let your Greninja learn Grass Knot,its really useful when you encounter someone using a heavy Water/Ground type Pokemon ( Kyogre,Groudon,Lapras,Milotic,etc )

I have zero experience with choice items... Can't say I'm really fond of them, but it might work well like this indeed.
Also, you're right! Grass knot sounds good, even though I'm not sure which move I should replace here.

I personally think Mega Heracross should have Arm Thrust instead of Bullet Seed for dat STAB and Skill Link. Then switch Close Combat for Earthquake or something.

Arm Thrust isn't too powerful compared to the 25-power multi moves, so I'd like to stick to Close combat :/

I know you haven't looked for perfect synergy so feel free to consider this irrelevant, my main point is from looking at your team I see an exploitable weakness to fairy, as half of your team is weak to it and fairies seem pretty common nowadays, it seems also you only have one poke in Metagross to cover the fairy weakness, which seems like Metagross is going to have a lot of pressure disposing of opposing fairies early on in game...Anyway, food for thought...

Well, That's true. I do expect fairy-types to appear (Especially that cheap Azumarill, I swear that damn rabbit is EVERYWHERE), so perhaps switching someone in my team is advised. I could use another Mega, but that would only leave Brick break as far as Combat-type is concerned.
Maybe I should go for Aggron, or wait for ORAS and use Beedrill... Not sure.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the feedback, it's appreciated!

The Kiwi Dragon
11-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Honestly I second Lucipurr, go with Arm Thrust over Close Combat, STAB and more power onto multi-hit moves is a far better option than something that comes along and OHKOs you because your defenses are down.

Choice Items are hella risky, Outrage Scarfmence is real good as long as you don't run into Fairy types or Steel types, but that's besides the point, use them at your own risk.

I'll admit I like your Rotom, that's looking pretty good. Volt Switch and Thunderbolt are your best options, and perhaps run it using a Rindo/Sitrus Berry. Or alternatively as you have a Water Pokemon in Greninja, switch it to a Rotom-H, has more weaknesses than Rotom-W but given the right bulk should be able to go in against Fairies, especially Mega Mawile and roast them with Overheat, although Azumarill poses a major threat to that with Aqua Jet, so use at your own risk! :p

Finally I don't find Grass Knot Greninja terribly reliable unless you're a Smogon player going up against Kyogre, so U-Turn is more sensible imo.

BurstCoffee
11-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Honestly I second Lucipurr, go with Arm Thrust over Close Combat, STAB and more power onto multi-hit moves is a far better option than something that comes along and OHKOs you because your defenses are down.

Choice Items are hella risky, Outrage Scarfmence is real good as long as you don't run into Fairy types or Steel types, but that's besides the point, use them at your own risk.

I'll admit I like your Rotom, that's looking pretty good. Volt Switch and Thunderbolt are your best options, and perhaps run it using a Rindo/Sitrus Berry. Or alternatively as you have a Water Pokemon in Greninja, switch it to a Rotom-H, has more weaknesses than Rotom-W but given the right bulk should be able to go in against Fairies, especially Mega Mawile and roast them with Overheat, although Azumarill poses a major threat to that with Aqua Jet, so use at your own risk! :p

Finally I don't find Grass Knot Greninja terribly reliable unless you're a Smogon player going up against Kyogre, so U-Turn is more sensible imo.

Perhaps I'll follow your advices with Arm thrust, The defence reduction was completely out of my mind... But I'll keep Bullet seed, not STAB but still a decent choice in my opinion.

I don't think I'll use choice items yet, they're risky and somehow cheap at the same time. Not really appealing.
Rotom-H is probably a very valid pick, especially against certain threats (I'm looking at you, Ferrothorn.), then again I'd rather being able to use something against water-types. To be considered, but Rotom-W has such a good typing-ability combo... And Greninja isn't really a water-type, considering his ability :p

And please no, no Smogon elitism there -_- Grass knot still sounds rather powerful, albeit very situational. Perhaps I'll reconsider after having a few fights, but for now I'll stick to my original movepool, I already have bullet seed for grass-type, which is reliable enough on its own.

Thanks again for the tips :)

The Kiwi Dragon
11-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Perhaps I'll follow your advices with Arm thrust, The defence reduction was completely out of my mind... But I'll keep Bullet seed, not STAB but still a decent choice in my opinion.

I don't think I'll use choice items yet, they're risky and somehow cheap at the same time. Not really appealing.
Rotom-H is probably a very valid pick, especially against certain threats (I'm looking at you, Ferrothorn.), then again I'd rather being able to use something against water-types. To be considered, but Rotom-W has such a good typing-ability combo... And Greninja isn't really a water-type, considering his ability :p

And please no, no Smogon elitism there -_- Grass knot still sounds rather powerful, albeit very situational. Perhaps I'll reconsider after having a few fights, but for now I'll stick to my original movepool, I already have bullet seed for grass-type, which is reliable enough on its own.

Thanks again for the tips :)

Not a problem. I just thought I'd check you if you abided by Smogon. But I will mention one thing I forgot, Greninja and Life Orb is alright but the recoil cripples any true chances to survive and it doesn't enhance the damage you can deal to the maximum extent. So even though I said about Choicing being risky, one Pokemon who I always find benefits from it is Greninja. I usually go for Choice Specs and I have Extrasensory instead of U-Turn. You don't have to use this set but it doesn't need more speed as he is quite the fast Pokemon, but STAB on all four moves plus the Choice Specs boost will deal heavy damage on anything that threatens you. If you're looking for something to get rid of Ferrothorn before it starts Curse boosting instead of Rotom-H, STAB Dark Pulse and Specs is usually a 2HKO on it. It's a major glass cannon but, if you run the risk you'll get the rewards.

BurstCoffee
11-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Not a problem. I just thought I'd check you if you abided by Smogon. But I will mention one thing I forgot, Greninja and Life Orb is alright but the recoil cripples any true chances to survive and it doesn't enhance the damage you can deal to the maximum extent. So even though I said about Choicing being risky, one Pokemon who I always find benefits from it is Greninja. I usually go for Choice Specs and I have Extrasensory instead of U-Turn. You don't have to use this set but it doesn't need more speed as he is quite the fast Pokemon, but STAB on all four moves plus the Choice Specs boost will deal heavy damage on anything that threatens you. If you're looking for something to get rid of Ferrothorn before it starts Curse boosting instead of Rotom-H, STAB Dark Pulse and Specs is usually a 2HKO on it. It's a major glass cannon but, if you run the risk you'll get the rewards.

I wonder if I should do that... life orb is a very interesting item, but ultimately it's most useful on someone like Reuniclus. (I got one ready, but I still need to know how to make a trick-room based team...)
Greninja will never be tanky anyway, so with specs it'll just be more extreme than with the life orb.
But it's worth a shot. I'll give it a try :)