PDA

View Full Version : Finnish name ideas for your Pokémon!

UltraSound
09-19-2015, 03:50 PM
I see a lot of people like to use Japanese words for their pokenames. Though I do think they're cool and all, I feel like a lot of them have been overused to some extent. So I thought why not stir it up a bit with my own ideas in there to see if people are interested!

I haven't translated all the names that are usually cool in other languages, mainly because they sound awful in Finnish. (ex. Red - Punainen or Night - Yö)

English - Finnish

Rain - Sade
Water - Vesi
Snow - Lumi
Sea - Meri
River - Joki
Fog - Sumu
Sword - Miekka
Dark/Darkness - Pimeys
Danger - Vaara
Bean - Papu
Cloud - Pilvi
Wind - Tuuli
Shadow - Varjo
Happy - Ilo
Winter - Talvi
Autumn/Fall - Syksy
Spring - Kevät
Summer - Kesä
Evening - Ilta
Morning - Aamu
Berry - Marja
Bear - Karhu
Wolf - Susi
Fox - Kettu
Stone - Kivi
Grass - Ruoho
Leaf - Lehti
Fire - Tuli
Mountain - Vuori
Flower - Kukka
Rose - Ruusu
Lily - Lilja
Birch - Koivu
Oak - Tammi
Moon - Kuu

OTHER WORDS WITH NO CLEAR TRANSLATION BADLY EXPLAINED (OR I WAS TOO DUMB TO KNOW A TRANSLATION EXISTED)
Keep in mind that these translations aren't too perfect. "Juoksentelisinkohan" translates to "I wonder if I should run around aimlessly", so translating from Finnish to English isn't always self-explanatory.

Hanki/Nietos - Means snow, but not really. "Halki nietosten ja hankien" would translate as "through the large areas of snow" or...something like that.
Nurmi - an area of grass
Kalma - Death. The word doesn't mean exactly death, but it originates to traditional Finnish stories. Kalma means the people who live in Tuonela, and Tuonela is basically the place where dead people go. Y'know. There's a lot of creepy stuff regarding this word. Just go to wikipedia or something.
MONTHS (note: All months have the word moon (kuu) after them but I'm ignoring it, ex. Kesäkuu means May. But kesäkuu is a combination of two words; kesä and kuu. Kesä means summer and kuu means moon. So it's basically "Summer Moon". I'm ignoring the moon part and translating just the beginning.)
January - Tammi (also means oak)
February - Helmi (also means pearl)
March - Maalis
April - Huhti
May - Touko (also a common Finnish mans name, also means "growing grain" or "working in the fields in spring")
June - Kesä (also means summer)
July - Heinä (also means hay)
August - Elo (also means "Life", but it originates from the word "elonkerjuu" which is/was an event where the crop is harvested. I think. I recall reading about something like that.)
September - Syys (also means autumnish. If I say "syyskelit ovat alkaneet", I'm saying "the autumn weather has started".)
October - Loka (also means wet snow.)
November - Marras (marras is often linked with things related to death.)
December - Joulu (means Christmas.)

.....and this is the part where I got bored. If you want to know a translation to some word or want something translated into Finnish, just ask!
Don't trust google translation. Seriously. I could give an example why but it's too offensive so just look at it yourself with this clue; meatballs.

WondoRules!!!
09-19-2015, 03:58 PM
whats is evil fairy traslated to...

UltraSound
09-19-2015, 06:33 PM
whats is evil fairy traslated to...

"Paha keiju" or "Ilkeä keiju".

WondoRules!!!
09-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Thx
for by nawile