PDA

View Full Version : A Fan Review for those of you who are hesitant to buy Sun & Moon (NO SPOILERS)

Damian_Clareon
11-28-2016, 03:48 PM
Now, I know most of you are already headstrong into the game of Sun or Moon but even I, someone who has been an avid fan of all the pokemon games since Red and Blue here in the states, was hesitant to drop the full $40 on this new game.

Well, here is my soft review of Sun & Moon. No Spoilers included.

My initial reaction to the beginning of Sun (the game I own) was one of confusion. They obviously wanted an entirely different feel to the game as it doesn't have you go through the start menus at the beginning before it throws you right into the actual game itself. It's a welcome inclusion, especially from myself as I prefer jumping straight into the action.

The animation in this version is unbelievable! Every cut scene is rife with life from humans and pokemon alike. The battles (as you may have seen through trailers) are far more indepth than you might have initially assumed. Seeing your character actually standing behind your Pokemon is a feature you never knew you needed. I sometimes find myself dreading the idea of playing my Omega Ruby version just because it doesn't have small things like that in it.

The characters themselves actually form a bond with you. At first (for myself anyways) it was hard for me to actually care too much about what was going on besides sight-seeing and exploring this new world they created for us. I came to realize that this game tends to play out a lot more like the anime in some ways rather than the traditional mute character we have all learned to become throughout all of the games. Having the ability to choose what to respond with is a run of the mill feature in many JRPG games but in Pokemon, this seems like a needed feature now.

Now... I can sit here and praise this game like the Sun all day but I am sure you want to know what downsides it has. Especially compared to ORAS or X&Y. Well, let me start off by saying that your 3DS isn't going to die nearly as fast this time around just because it only logs you online when you use the online feature. If you aren't using that feature, you're not online, which also means the game isn't going to interrupt your game time with random messages about things you already know how to do. Sun & Moon are MUCH harder than normal games. The pokemon are well adapted to how to bring you to your knees in a battle; though this might seem like a blessing, most casual players won't enjoy a random bird wiping the floor with their entire team. That kind of immersion has made me more inclined to focus on strategy and not just spamming my favorite 100 Damage move 24/7.

A few things I must point out. Wondertrade: You will still get the same stuff that no one wants just like Gen 6 games. Abra seems to be the most popular in my game as I get them 3/5 times. But still, that's kind of the excitement I suppose. The GTS: This feature has always been my favorite thing to use as its easier to find what you want. Like the biggest Nintendo Yard Sale ever. They FINALLY updated it so it doesn't take 5 minutes to get on the GTS and wait to see if your pokemon has been traded. I especially love that you get to see what kind of Pokeball people have for the pokemon they are offering. I previously traded a Maraenie or something for a Cosmog because it was in a Beastball.

Now, should you buy this game? I would say Yes. A big Yes. Just because the story itself is amazing in itself and you feel drawn into the game more than the old versions. Will you enjoy this as much as I have been? Maybe... I have been playing Pokemon since before I can remember so this game is special to me. I urge you to seriously research anything you might wonder about this game. Things like the competitive aspect of the game, the breeding, the trading, the collecting, all of it. There is something for everyone here and I know it will be something you will always enjoy.

On a side note from myself... Early on in my game, I made the wise choice of spending all of my extra cash on potions and pokeballs. This was only wise because I had run into some little old lady with one pokemon and I DRASTICALLY underestimated her. She kicked my ass and nearly killed 5 pokemon I had. Be careful in this game because the AI are definitely out to beat you into the ground.

TL;DR: For those people who dont feel like reading all of that. Lets just say that I would rate this game 9/10. It's exactly what people asked for in a bigger pokemon game plus much more. Go out and buy it if you haven't already. If you have, why are you reading this anyways?