View Poll Results: Are you going to buy Pokémon: Let's Go?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely!

0 0%
  • Yeah, at some point, probably.

0 0%
  • Most likely not.

1 20.00%
  • Absolutely not.

4 80.00%

Thread: Opinions on Pokémon: Let's Go

1. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 42 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0

Opinions on Pokémon: Let's Go

Alright, I'm assuming most of us have heard of the new Pokémon game coming to Switch later this year. It has split opinions and there seems to be no middle way in this whole thing.

Personally, I was 110% aboard the hype train until details started coming along. The more I learned about the game, the less excited I was. The less worth the price tag and effort it seemed.

I'll list my own pros and cons for the game, but I'd like to hear your thoughts as well - are you on board the hype train still, are you considering it, or are you absolutely not getting it? Why, why not?

- Only the original 151 pokémon
    Really? I understand how much work it would be to make the game compatible with Go and have all the mons in it alongside all the options like riding and following, but this really doesn't sit right with me. Yeah, I get it, it's a Yellow remake mixed with Go. But even if it makes sense, it absolutely doesn't get my hype up to get it.

- You can buy Mew
    The fandom was always joking about Pokémon one day going the route of being able to essentially buy legendaries or rare mons and here we are. The only way to obtain a Mew is to buy it. (Currently, could change in the future through events etc.) Gotta catch 'em all? Gotta buy 'em all.

- Another Kanto remake
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpjZjQrfGNg

This makes it the SEVENTH GAMES (not counting the counterpart games) to feature Kanto. Let's take a moment here to really consider it; what makes Kanto as a region worth being in 7 games? What's there to see, to experience? Is there any other reason you love Kanto other than the pure feeling of nostalgia? I'm honestly drawing a blank here.

- Only local multiplayer
    See link above under "Another Kanto remake".
    I can see why, but
    why tho

- Trading
    No GTS. No Wonder Trade. No Battle Spot. Yes, I get it, it's not a main series game, but...online functionality requires a paid subscription. This game is not worth the money it asks from you.

- Only 2 choices based on fan choice as partner pokémon
    I had a really tough time trying to describe how I felt about this, and I'm still not sure if I made myself very clear on it. But I tried.
    I get it. Pikachu is the mascot. I get it. Eevee is a fan favourite.
    But I'm really, reaaaaaaaaaaaaally tired of Pikachu getting so much attention for no other reason than "it's the mascot". Yeah his stupid cute face sells. Is there any other reason?
    As for Eevee, rad that there's a choice, but
    YOU CAN NOT EVOLVE YOUR PARTNER POKÉMON. I could KIND of see why you can't evolve Pikachu (though this renders it kind of useless in my eyes) but Eevee, the pokemon literally known as the "evolution pokémon", the pokemon with the most possible evolutions in the games (8 to be exact) can not evolve in Let's Go. If that's not backwards, I don't see what is.
    In the main series, it's always a cool moment to have your starter pokemon (which I usually consider as my "partner pokeon) evolve. You trained together, you grew together, and now you get to see the progress you've made together.
    Well not in Let's Go. You're stuck with that weak normal type mon in your team, unable to turn into anything remotely useful. But it's cute, so, I guess that makes up for it. (It absolutely doesn't, though.) I'm guessing the most progress you get to make with your partner mon is that it gives you different responses when you interact with it, or something. Hooray.
    My last grievance on this is that there's only 2 to choose from as your partner pokemon. What if I wanted literally any other pokemon than pikachu or an eevee sitting on my head/shoulder? It would've been a cool concept to have people able to decide who their partner mon is. It'd make the world feel more alive to me to see people diverse with their partner pokemon. That kid from Japan is running around with a Vulpix while there's an adult player from Australia with an Aerodactyl. But now everyone either has a Pikachu or an Eevee. Yay.
    Obviously you can't have an Onix sitting on your shoulder, but it can follow you, no? And you can interact with it. Isn't that what it boils down to anyway? Why set it to 2 specific, useless mons only? It's just really boring to me.

- Absolute handholding
    Can't enter first gym without a pokemon with a type advantage. Again, please refer to link above.

- Boring gameplay
    Sure, the only gameplay we've really been shown is very limited and around one area near the start, but is this really something you could see yourself sinking hours into? No battles with wild mons. Just throwing balls until you run out. Is this not the very thing that was established in the first few episodes of Pokémon anime is a ridiculously stupid thing to do?

+/- Graphics
    The graphics look absolutely stunning, but I don't enjoy how blocky the world still is. after being accustomed to Alola not being linear with hills and twists and turns it just feels irritating to go back to Kanto as it was 20 years ago. I'm not saying they should change it too much, but some improvements could've definitely been made.
    I dislike the character models, they look a bit too chibi-ish for my tastes. I'd be a sore liar though if I claimed they weren't cute.

+ Following pokémon
    I love that this is back. I just hoped it'd be in a better game and with more pokémon available.

+ Rideable pokémon
    Honestly, if I were to get this game, it'd be 50% because of this feature. I love the thought of riding on my Charizard around the region.

+ Hybrid console/Multiplatform
    I adore the thought that I can play on my TV, play handheld, just use the ball (if I chose to chug out the ridiculous amount of money that stupid thing costs) or play Go, wherever and whenever I feel like. It's cool.

- However...
    I feel like this has the potential to mess with the Go players who don't want to play this game. I'll give it a chance not to, but I don't have high hopes.

- About that ball
    The battery on that thing lasts 3 hours. 3. Hours. That is such a short time it would be funny if it weren't so stupid.

- No character customization
    But hey, at least you can dress up that useless pikachu/eevee of yours! Because that's TOTALLY what people asked for and will surely not be the most boring and redundant thing they choose to focus on as a feature.

- No breeding
    Yeah. Good luck.

- Price tag
    Switch - 330e/384 dollars
    The game - 60e/70 dollars
    That alone is 390e/454 dollars. Add to that the price of the ball (80e) and we're talking 470e, or 547 dollars.
    And of course there's the subscription! No clue how much that is, but let's just say I am not willing to shove in almost 500 euros for this whole thing. It is not worth it.
    NOTE: THE PRICE MAY BE DIFFERENT FOR YOU DEPENDING ON A LOT OF THINGS, like where you buy it and what currency you use. I merely converted the prices I know (euros) into dollars so they may not 100% be correct representation for those using dollars.

So...yeah. I'm not happy. If someone IS getting the game, is excited for it and likes it, awesome! More power to ya! But it's just not something I'm interested in right now. Maybe at a later date when the prices drop a bit I'll buy it and give it a try, but as for now; it's a no from me.

2. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 0 | Offers: 6 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 8
    The games belong inside a biohazard container.
    No more to say.

"Just because you come from a scary family doesn't mean you have to be scary too."
    Muriel, Courage The Cowardly Dog

3. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 42 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    The games belong inside a biohazard container.
    No more to say.
    What took me 7211 letters to write, you managed to put in under 10 words.

4. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 0 | Offers: 0 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 14
    Pretty sure this summed up everything i feel lol.
    Accept me, respect me, or meet my gorgeous wife and be turned into the latest doll in my collection. Either way, enjoy my fanfic. https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4355197/QueensBorough

5. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 42 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Natsu View Post
    Pretty sure this summed up everything i feel lol.
    Man, I gotta stop trying to sum up everything. :P

6. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 0 | Offers: 0 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 14
    There's been new info. Are we not critiquing the new hairdos? Kbai
    Accept me, respect me, or meet my gorgeous wife and be turned into the latest doll in my collection. Either way, enjoy my fanfic. https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4355197/QueensBorough

7. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 42 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0
    There's been new info. Are we not critiquing the new hairdos? Kbai
    Please refer to the link provided first at point "Another Kanto remake" to get my opinion on the hairdos.
    It just keeps getting WORSE somehow. Every trailer boils my blood a bit more.

8. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 0 | Offers: 0 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 14
    I was just thinking while watching a video how annoying it's gonna be to raise teams of pokemon in this game without battling. Like, I just realized, you have to capture BOXES of Pokémon if you want to raise Pokémon. That sounds kind of ridiculous lol.

https://youtu.be/B83K8Lym2Xw
    I'm far from a protomario fan but this vid seriously and appropriately, and respectably, summed up the Let's Go problem.
    Last edited by S.A. Natsu; 08-22-2018 at 04:15 PM.

9. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 42 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0
    I was just thinking while watching a video how annoying it's gonna be to raise teams of pokemon in this game without battling. Like, I just realized, you have to capture BOXES of Pokémon if you want to raise Pokémon. That sounds kind of ridiculous lol.

https://youtu.be/B83K8Lym2Xw
    I'm far from a protomario fan but this vid seriously and appropriately, and respectably, summed up the Let's Go problem.
    "I think everybody can agree, in Pokémon Ultra Sun and Moon, Hau was one of the worst rivals ever"
    1. don't talk to me or my son ever again
    2. you can count me in the "not a protomario fan" club

I also really dislike his use of the word "casual". I THINK he didn't mean it to come off as "only casuals play Go", but it kind of did.

Anyway, he does make good points. I don't see any of the hype I saw for say, ORAS. The internet exploded when word of that got out. People were excited for S/M. But I don't know anyone besides Verlis who's actually looking forward to the game - and...that says a lot.

Shade all the way lol

10. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 0 | Offers: 0 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 14
    Yeah Verlis is like, super defending let's go .-. I never thought about that but you're right, he's like the only one lol.