Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying 3rd Generation Games

1. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 33 | Offers: 54 | Wishlist Items: 7 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0

Exclamation Buying 3rd Generation Games

So as we all know, 3rd Generation games (or any Game Boy Advance games for that matter) are extremely tough to find anywhere but the internet. The internet is great, but also carries the risk of purchasing bootleg copies, which is something you don't want to mess around with. The GBA games were so easy to bootleg, that there are many of them out there. In most countries, boot legging anything is illegal and a very serious issue.

So, I've come to study up on bootlegs and have found different ways to find if a game is a bootleg or not, and I'm here to share these tips with my fellow Pokebay-ers

1) It sounds bad to say, but don't buy from Asia. Asia's laws on bootlegging are not as strict as some countries, so Asian countries are more vulnerable to selling you a fake copy.

2) The 3rd Generation Pokemon games have kind of a "foil" label. If you look at a copy of a 3rd Gen games, and the label doesn't reflect light, or just looks like a paper sticker, it's most likely a fake.

3)Look at pictures online of a legitimate game cartridge sticker, and look at the location of everything (the rating, "The Pokemon Company", the games name, Nintendo Logo and Seal), if they are out of place or something doesn't look right (such as if there are bubbles on the sticker of Sapphire Version), then that's a red flag as well.

4) Look inside the cartridge (on the chip part where you insert the game). It should have writing on it. It should say "Copyright __" and the Nintendo logo. Don't get too hung up on what it says though. Just look for the Nintendo logo mainly. If there is nothing written on it, then it's most likely a fake.

5) When you turn the game on, and after you exit the title screen, it should go right to your save file. If the game says "The game can be played" or "The save file has been erased" or anything in between the title screen and the saved game screen, it's a fake

6) If the seller does not post an actual picture of the game, or doesn't allow you to look at a picture of the game before buying it, that should be a red flag that they know they're selling a fake game as well.

7) If the price is too good to be true ($4.00 with free shipping, for example), then it probably is.

Here is a Youtube video(s) that sums up (and gives comparisons between a fake and real game) what I just said. It helps give a few visuals as well. Remember to never sell a bootleg game if you receive one. Usually Amazon and Ebay have the buyer protection, which will refund you if you have received something that isn't really what it's advertised to be.:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fKOW...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm9FK...eature=related

Good luck!

2. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 19 | Offers: 37 | Wishlist Items: 77 | Wishlist Offers: 11 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I once bought a fake copie of Pokémon Fire Red I knew it was fake because everytime I wanted to migrate my Pokémon to Diamond, the save data of FR corrupted and I had to start all over! Nothing happened to Diamond though.

Uhm... What's up?

3. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 11 | Offers: 5 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Just want to add that it can say "the internal battery has run dry. The game can still be played, but clock-based events will no longer occur" after exiting the title screen and can still be real. I had my sapphire version that I purchased from walmart a while back do this.

Pikachu2000 Guest
    PokeBay Stats: Trades: | Offers: | Wishlist Items: | Wishlist Offers: | Battles: | Battle Requests:
    i puechesed my ruby on ebay no fake i think

5. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 16 | Offers: 39 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    i have pokemon emerald and pokemon leaf green they both work cause im playing themm right now

6. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 16 | Offers: 39 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    emerald was boxed and i got it for £15 i thought i got a good deal

7. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 113 | Offers: 251 | Wishlist Items: 18 | Wishlist Offers: 21 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    i got a fake emrald twice of ebay AND amazon i still have my fake sapphire and i have my ruby and leafgreen real

Pikachu2000 Guest
    PokeBay Stats: Trades: | Offers: | Wishlist Items: | Wishlist Offers: | Battles: | Battle Requests:
    what about first gen any help on them

9. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 16 | Offers: 39 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    i have yellow and my pokemon gameboy

10. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 113 | Offers: 251 | Wishlist Items: 18 | Wishlist Offers: 21 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    i have red and crystal for my Gameboy Color

Pikachu2000 Guest
    i have red how do i tell its a foney

12. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 14 | Offers: 8 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I got FR/LG, R/S/E all fakes for christmas. It was horrable. Im buying mine own pokemon games from now on.
    Sniv~William

13. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 33 | Offers: 54 | Wishlist Items: 7 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    YOu can still buy 3rd gen games online, just be careful . I followed the things I just posted and I got a real one

14. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 1 | Offers: 1 | Wishlist Items: 6 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I stopped buying DS games from the internet after discovering my SS copy was fake.... Which surprised me because neither of the Kingdom Hearts game were fake. But... now I can see why. Most of my games come from Asia, and I never look at the cartridge. So I started to buy them on stores... Still these are great tips. If I could thank it, I would a 100 times. I guess I'll get back on buying games from the Internet any time soon and check the cartridges first before buying anything. Thank you DejaVu
    ♥trolling in the deep♥
    Jess is on hiatus due to excessive play of RE6. Only available through twitter but only to close friends.

15. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 14 | Offers: 8 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Can someone post a pic of there Real, legit, orginial gameboy games mainly FR/LG/S/E/R? It would be really helpful to all of us who want to find a real legit gameboy game.
    Sniv~William