Thread: Pokemon Chaining

1. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 14 | Offers: 8 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0

Pokemon Chaining

Note first this ONLY works in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. I have chained 27 shiny mareep in one chain and 42 shiny eevees in two chains plus many others, so I know what I talking about. If you would like to chain and get shinnies for X&Y, I'll be glad to help.

1) You must finish the game and get the pokeradar. Plus the app you get from Pro. Oak is really helpful, you find him at the Pal Park. Get as many Repels as you can. Not 100 and think you’re okay, you’re not you want at least 500, super or max repels. Then pick a Pokémon to chain. Let’s say shellos on route 205, or a swarm, there pretty easy.

2) Go to a spot where you target Pokémon is at (Best to make your pokeradar your registered item). Save in the middle of the biggest and fullest patch of grass of that area. Then set your pokeradar off. Enter into any patch. But, remember if it was a flashing patch or a normal patch. (If it’s not your target Pokémon soft reset your game by pressing, Select, Start, L, and R at the same time) Once you have your target Pokémon catch or defeat it DON’T RUN! Your chain will break.

3) After you leave the battle you will see one to four patches shake. Enter into one that is four patches away, up or down or left or right. Keep it the same type of patch. Stop when you make your chain a chain of 40. Your chanes of getting a shiny will be 1/200 the highest it will go.

4) These sites go into more details on what patches to enter and which one’s not too.
    http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/chaining

5) Here is a YouTube clip of a shiny patch. Skip too .20 to see it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f2maA2VQCA

Post questions.
    Sniv~William

2. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 227 | Offers: 206 | Wishlist Items: 51 | Wishlist Offers: 17 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I wish i had d/p/pt
    ~Linux Mint~

3. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 8 | Offers: 2 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    i have platinum ; so i cant chain

4. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 14 | Offers: 8 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    You can chain in Platinum
    Sniv~William

5. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 1 | Offers: 5 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I have Diamond and Platinum... Not sure how far I am on Platinum, haven't played it recently. Diamond I recently bought, so I'm still working my way through the game. I remember this trick from when the DPP generation first came out. I never could reach 40, though...
    (-o-) ¨(`o˛)¨ (-o-)

6. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 10 | Offers: 10 | Wishlist Items: 14 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    When they first came out, a lot of the advice that was floating around the internet wasn't great. (It's still not, but it's a bit better) <_< I remember a lot of stuff about "just head to the furthest patch", because people hadn't realised there would always be one patch in each 'ring' around the player. and that sometimes patch 3 can look further away than patch 4, etc. I could never get past chain 10 or so back then. Now my longest chain is 88. :P

Also, I recommend ignoring Smogon university's stuff about unsafe and safe formations, in my experience it's total bs. the only thing I take note of is whether the 4th patch falls on the edge, and the ratio of flashing/shaking patches. I only reset when all the patches I can see are of the same type.

And always save before you start chaining so if your chain breaks you can soft reset and get all your repels back. :P

7. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 1 | Offers: 5 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I remember the last time I used the Radar... there were times that I would either catch or defeat a Pokemon, and after the battle there would be NO flashing/shaking patches. None.
    (-o-) ¨(`o˛)¨ (-o-)

8. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 10 | Offers: 10 | Wishlist Items: 14 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Fae, that definitely does happen occasionally - ended one of my eevee chains. I've heard other people say it happens more frequently near the three lakes, but I've not chained stuff there often enough to know for sure. :/

9. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 1 | Offers: 5 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I still have one more gym to beat, and then the Elite Four and champion... and then I can use the radar on Platinum!
    (-o-) ¨(`o˛)¨ (-o-)

10. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 5 | Offers: 3 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Chaining's awesome---- might start chaining Swablus'
    Swifty Umbreon