Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon that can NEVER be shiny. Don't allow yourself to be duped. :)

1. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 33 | Offers: 6 | Wishlist Items: 13 | Wishlist Offers: 4 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0

Pokémon That Can NEVER Be Shiny - A Guide To Avoid Being Duped

Hey everyone. I know that I've had greatly reduced activity on PokeBay lately, but when browsing around today I noticed that there are many posted trades for illegal shinies, with the offerer claiming legitimacy. I know that in many cases people aren't trying to be deceitful, and it's more a matter of being unaware that the Pokémon in question is always illegal when shiny. As a few of you know, I and many people I've worked with have done extensive research into Pokémon game coding in order to definitively prove which Pokémon can and can NOT be shiny. I wish to share the knowledge with all of you, as I know how hard it can be to learn that you've traded away your most treasured shiny for an illegal or hacked Pokémon.

First, there is this Serebii article. At the bottom you can view a list of the Pokémon that can not be shiny under any circumstances. http://www.serebii.net/games/shiny.shtml

There is also this Bulbapedia article. It mentions Pokémon that are unobtainable as shinies, though there are a few errors in what is stated. I will elaborate on each individual Pokémon to help all of you to better understand why the listed Pokémon can not be shiny. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...y_Pok.C3.A9mon

Mew - Mew can be shiny from the in-game event in Emerald. However, the Old Sea Map was only distributed to Japanese games. Any English Mew you'll find is illegal.

Celebi - Celebi can't be shiny, as the Japanese Colosseum bonus disc was looked at in a debugger, and explicitly skips shiny PIDs, regardless of being distributed to the Colosseum save, or a GBA save. I know there are people who say that Ageto Celebi can be shiny, however this was debunked and it was proven that ALL Celebi are unable to be shiny. This link has more details: http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemontrade...cant_be_shiny/

Victini - Liberty Garden Victini has a special function which blocks a shiny PID from being chosen - the game modifies the PID if it were to be shiny. Victini's Wondercard event distributions also can't be shiny.

Meloetta and Keldeo were distributed only as Wondercard events, which were previously stated to not be shiny.

3rd gen distributions can't be shiny, based on the fact that 10th anniversary events can't be shiny.

All Wondercard events can't be shiny, except for those that are always shiny, and the few 5th gen events that have the normal 1/8192 chance of being shiny (Japanese Super Strong events, Spa Land Piplup, Pikachu Festival Pikachu, and international Summer 2012 Pikachu events).

All legendary Pokémon in X and Y are unable to be shiny. While Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, and Mewtwo can be shiny from previous titles, they can't be shiny and have the pentagon icon. Shiny Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde are rejected by the GTS and can't be traded over Wi-Fi.

I also want to address certain Pokémon that CAN be shiny, but only if captured via specific means.

Manaphy can be shiny, but only if it was traded as an egg to another save file. The shiny block function erroneously checks against the TID/SID of the egg, which is always the same one as the file it was received on, allowing for it to be shiny when traded.

Jirachi can be shiny only from the NA Colosseum bonus disc, with the OT WISHMKR 20043/0, or the recently released Tanabata Jirachi that was distributed at the Pokémon Center Tōhoku in Japan from August 1 to 31, 2014.

Shaymin and Darkrai can only be shiny from the Oak's Letter and Member Card distributions respectively. They were distributed only to Platinum games, so Shaymin must be a fateful encounter.

Reshiram and Zekrom are able to be shiny when captured in Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire, respectively. Any shiny Reshiram or Zekrom originating from a game other than OR/AS is illegal. The myth about being able to capture a shiny Reshiram or Zekrom with full boxes in Pokémon Black or White is just that - a myth.

Arceus - Arceus is able to be shiny from the Archdjinn of Rings: Hoopa event, beginning on March 7th, 2015 in Japan. Prior to this, Arceus was only legally released by a Wondercard, or by the Dream World and was shiny-locked in all circumstances. The Azure Flute was never released, so all Arceus from the Hall of Origin are illegal by default, shiny or otherwise.

Also, it's ALWAYS a good idea to check out an event database prior to doing any trade, as most of those will at least tell you if that too-good-to-be-true shiny "event" Zekrom is something that actually happened, or just bogus. I'd recommend either http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...t_Pok%C3%A9mon or http://www.serebii.net/events/

With the introduction of the Powersaves device for the 3DS system, it's VERY difficult to perform a successful legality check on anything originating from a 6th generation game. People are now able to turn Pokémon shiny and hack Wondercards into their games. Due to this, I'd recommend that everyone be diligent and observant when trading. I'm also going to include a list of 6th generation Wondercards, and somewhat of a means to tell if it was injected using a Powersaves device. That list can be seen here: http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemontrades/wiki/hackedevents

I do hope this has helped some of you, and always feel free to message me if you'd like more information. Happy trading everyone! ^_^
    Last edited by Astral Vapors; 03-08-2015 at 10:12 PM.

2. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 87 | Offers: 196 | Wishlist Items: 13 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Thanks for this Astral! ^.^ And guys I'm going to tell you this even though I'm not on staff anymore, just remember please that if you are caught trying to trade illegal shiny event Pokemon you may be penalized especially if you publically declare it as legitimate, this is basically ripping off other traders and it isn't fair. But please use the link Astral has given to research if your event Pokemon is legitimate before you upload your trades.

YouTube Facebook
    Twitter Instagram
    Back again on my own terms, to prove I still have what it takes to win.

3. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 0 | Offers: 0 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I really wasnt aware of this, I thought every pokemon has a shiny, just that it was super rare to come across one, Unless you went to a event ofc.

EllaJaneBinks Guest
    PokeBay Stats: Trades: | Offers: | Wishlist Items: | Wishlist Offers: | Battles: | Battle Requests:
    This was extremely helpful Thanks!!

5. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 11 | Offers: 49 | Wishlist Items: 1 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    darn the darn it of darn land I traded a legit shiny legendary poke for a fake shiny Victini extreme sad face with tear :'(
    Team Popplio ��
    it's cute OK stop being mean

6. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 8 | Offers: 8 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    my friend gave me his arceus which is shiny that he said he got at toys r us for the tru arceus event but he got it as shiny. It has the the moves of and ribbon as the TRU arceus but it's O/T name is: P-PKM. My friend said he never hacked or even owned any hacking accessory so I'm not sure what to think here. I'm sure what to think. I've read everywhere that there is no such event of a shiny arceus but he claims that is how he got it.

7. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 33 | Offers: 6 | Wishlist Items: 13 | Wishlist Offers: 4 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Your friend is being dishonest with you. Not only were those events unable to be shiny (due to the coding of the games), the OT would always be TRU. Here is the Bulbapedia entry for the TRU Arceus, in case you wanted to cross-reference with the one you received from your friend. Either way, the Arceus is absolutely hacked.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...R.22_Us_Arceus

8. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 369 | Offers: 478 | Wishlist Items: 273 | Wishlist Offers: 85 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    can ho oh, lugia , latios and latias be shiny

9. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 9 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 9 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Yes it can be

want:
    Cherish ball manphy

10. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 57 | Offers: 22 | Wishlist Items: 5 | Wishlist Offers: 6 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I have a shiny Jirachi with the OT wishmhk. Poke bank wouldn't accept it!

11. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 33 | Offers: 6 | Wishlist Items: 13 | Wishlist Offers: 4 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by KristaLynn View Post
    I have a shiny Jirachi with the OT wishmhk. Poke bank wouldn't accept it!
    Yes, shiny Jirachi is blocked by Nintendo's filters. This is due to the fact that they didn't intend for it to be possible - the 9 possible spreads for shiny Jirachi were found through disassembly of the Bonus Disc and are only possible due to an error in the coding of the games. So while legally possible, the existence was unintended.

12. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 14 | Offers: 11 | Wishlist Items: 7 | Wishlist Offers: 11 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I got a level 100 Deoxys from a trade on here (non-shiny). How do I know if it's legit?
    Pokemon X Friend Code:
    4725-8676-8769
    Please add me for friend safari!

13. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 8 | Offers: 9 | Wishlist Items: 6 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I don't get why people make such a big deal out of "hacked" pokemon. I used to love using Action Replay back when I was younger.. Without it I wouldn't have been able to get Shaymin, Darkrai, and Arceus in my copy of Pokemon Pearl .

14. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 57 | Offers: 82 | Wishlist Items: 23 | Wishlist Offers: 4 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    It's fine if you like hacked pokemon, but some people just don't like the cheating to get it. I could have hacked the games to get Jirachi but i waited years instead and I appreciate it more b/c i waited for it I don't like hacked pokemon, b/c i don't like how people didn't make an effort or were too impatient (in my opinion, no offense to anyone!) to get it.

15. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 22 | Offers: 189 | Wishlist Items: 22 | Wishlist Offers: 26 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I have a Shiny Pichu, but I cannot tell if its ears are pointy or not! It is in a Cherish Ball, and (its Spanish BTW) its OT is PRI2010. I fear its ears are pointy, and it is from the Sinnoh Region DX Is it hacked or legit?