Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catching shinys

1. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 95 | Offers: 54 | Wishlist Items: 42 | Wishlist Offers: 11 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by instantice View Post
    i fished up to 32 times and it said nothing seems to be biting. do you get a shiny in each round or whats the statistics about how many rounds of fishing you got to up to until you can get a shiny.
    Did you have a Pokemon with the ability suction cups as your lead Pokemon it needs to be first in your party for the ability to take effect also if you were fishing on open water that can happen try fishing near rocks also if you moved even a little bit that could cause that to happen to have to stay in one spot for it to work, and one more thing it takes about 30-40 before finding a shiny pokemon some many take long I have two go over that amount horsea being 55 chain and recently goldeen being 110 the shortest chain being basculin being a chain of 17 but the average for most of the shiny Pokemon I found were between 35-44. Also if you did everything correctly and your still not getting a bite move to a different spot.

2. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 0 | Offers: 0 | Wishlist Items: 24 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Thanks for your help Mica. I will try shiny hunting again soon. I'm sure it will work. I think the time I got 52 chains, I hadn't talked to the guy yet to tell him I had beat his record. >.> I had spoken to the other one, though, because I knew you had to do that first to initiate consecutive fishing in the first place. I hope I get some shinies! My goal is shiny dragonair, but I have a feeling it will be tough.

3. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 95 | Offers: 54 | Wishlist Items: 42 | Wishlist Offers: 11 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Your welcome I'm glad I could be helpful and it could have been just a bad spot sometimes that happens I had a stupid Goldeen take a chain of 110 before finding it, went through the first 3 Pokemon in my party maxing out moves til they struggled and died before I found it and right after that third one died I said to myself that's it! if this next one isn't a shiny I'm leaving and going somewhere else and wouldn't you know it bam there it was after I caught it left went to fish somewhere else and after a chain of 19 shiny Skrelp. Getting the first one started is always the toughest but after you find the first one finding the next is pretty easy. ^-^ Yeah Dragonair can be pretty tough just because it's an uncommon find on it's own so chaining it can be pretty tough I tried chaining for a shiny Dratini for a friend of mine and the stupid shiny basculin broke my chain at 17 so now I have to wait awhile before trying to chain in that area again >.< in any case using that guide I put up for you with notes I've added in these are all the shiny Pokemon I've caught following it : Magikarp, Goldeen, Skrelp, Dragalge, Horsea, Relicanth, Remoraid, Octillery, Alomomola, Whiscash, and Basculin. So hopefully you'll have some luck yourself in finding shiny Pokemon of your own via fishing. ^-^
    Last edited by Mica; 11-19-2013 at 01:04 PM.

4. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 0 | Offers: 0 | Wishlist Items: 24 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Hmm, I don't know if I'm misunderstanding, but does this mean you should try to encounter the same pokemon over and over for it to be a 'chain' or just deal with what RNG gives you and hope that your shiny will come along? I'm scared I'm misunderstanding somehow and will mess up my chances hahaha. xD Unfortunately there's only like 1 spot I think? For dragonair/dratini, but I have heard super rod is the way to go when it comes to dratini/dragonair (not sure why). I used inkay with suction cup and all that, but I don't know if that effects getting the same pokemon..

edit: I will also try going near the shiny spots and rocks. I tried going to the shiny spots along route 8, as well, but I wasn't using inkay then and kept getting no bites. I'll have to try it again. I feel like starmie looks really pale in this game, but I still wouldn't mind a shiny starmie lol.

5. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 7 | Offers: 4 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    The chain dont break if you get another pokemon, its pure RNG as to what shiny you will find.

6. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 0 | Offers: 0 | Wishlist Items: 24 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Got a shiny qwilfish around 57 chains (maybe more, it was pretty late so I don't remember) last night; I fished near some rocks and a shiny spot (southern area of route 8 in the water, next to a few small rocks and a large one) not as low that it becomes the next area!!! you will notice you've gone too far if you start getting remoraid and all that. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. n_n I hope to find more shinies this way; this was my first OT shiny from any of the games, and first shiny encounter! Woo!

7. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 95 | Offers: 54 | Wishlist Items: 42 | Wishlist Offers: 11 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Congrats way to go and yeah like Horseless said every Pokemon encounter counts towards your chain running into a different one doesn't break the chain it's a game of waiting, patients, and accuracy and sometimes it doesn't work right away and having suction cups isn't always a guarantee but anyways congrats on your first shiny I wish you luck catching more and I'm happy I could help! ^-^