Thread: My first OU team, One member short

1. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 4 | Offers: 4 | Wishlist Items: 4 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0

My first OU team, One member short

I've spent the last few weeks breeding a team filled with my favorite pokemon while trying to keep things diverse with good coverage.

As it stands i don't have any electric, ice or water attacks but other than that I THINK im pretty well covered.

I'd appreciate any input on my current team members, their items, or suggestions for a sixth member to round things out.

Alakazam

Nature Timid, 5 perfect IVs, EVs in spd and spatk
    (life orb?/expert belt?/focus sash?)
    Psychic
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast
    Recover

This choice was mainly nostalgia, i considered the calm mind build i use for mega mewtwo y, but grabbed recover instead because of his relative squishy-ness.

Gengar
    Nature Timid, 6 perfect IVs, EVs in spd and spatk
    (Black Sludge?/Life orb?)
    Shadow Ball
    Sludge Bomb
    Energy Ball
    Dazzling Gleam

Again Nostalgia, but i also enjoy the massive moveset and speed.

Charizard

Nature Modest, 5 perfect IVs, EVs in spd and spatk
    (Life orb?/Charcoal?)
    Sunny Day
    Flame Thrower
    Solar Beam
    Focus Blast

Mainly to make people think im going to mega evolve him, also because i got lucky the first time i tried breeding and got attached.

Tyranitar
    Nature Adamant, 5 perfect IVs, EVs in spd and atk)
    (Leftovers?/Tyranitarite?)
    Crunch
    Stone Edge
    Earthquake
    Fire Blast

Aside from loving my Tar in crystal, I got him because i was planning on a focus punch,substitute build with evs in hp until i realized focus punch lost tm status, so i grabbed EQ along with FB for some surprise coverage.

Metagross

Nature Adamant, 6 Perfect IVs, Not EV trained, planning roughly 180-200 spd, with the rest in hp/atk
    (Leftovers)
    Agility
    Meteor Mash
    Earthquake/Zen Headbutt/???
    Explosion

I wanted a really tanky pokemon with fewer weaknesses than Tar, and i was missing an explosion/selfdestruct/destiny bond pokemon.

6th slot - Out of ideas...gyrados, a normal type, or some other mega evolution pokemon maybe?

2. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 80 | Offers: 109 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Alright, let's see...

Psychic
    Ghost/Poison
    Fire/Flying
    Rock/Dark
    Steel/Psychic

Now, as for which types will murderize you with relative ease...

Water (takes out Charizard and Tyranitar)
    Fighting (Tyranitar and possibly Metagross)
    Dark (Gengar, Alakazam, possibly Metagross)
    Ground (oh wait, Ground is OP anyways, moving on)

Thanks to Tyranitar and Metagross' secondary typings, Bug isn't a worry. However, you have a nasty weakness to Fairy type on Alakazam and Tyranitar, and the resistance isn't present on Metagross.

You're going to need something that can fill this gap, so you specifically need a Pokemon that:

1) Is neutral or resistant to Water, Fighting, Dark, and Ground, or at least three of the four
    2) Is tanky as all hell, and given the weaknesses you have, preferably a physical wall
    3) If not tanky, can easily take an opponent with them

Now, one thing I'm noting is you don't have any way to counteract entry hazards. This is an issue. Stealth Rock will ruin your Charizard and deal at least moderate damage to both Gengar and Alakazam. Metagross and Tyranitar aren't worried... but Poison Spikes will make Tyranitar begin to sweat a little. Metagross still doesn't have to worry, but he's Metagross, he doesn't give a ****.

If I were you, I would either go for somebody who can handle entry hazards, or who can spread statuses so their entry hazard person doesn't get a chance to lay down more than one set of spikes. This means you either need a Rapid Spinner/Defogger so you don't have to worry about that, or somebody that just doesn't give two shits and either OHKO's or dumps statuses onto their hazard setter the moment they try something.

For a Rapid Spinner, I'd still recommend Foretress. I know it's not in OU anymore, but damn it I love that stupid metal pinecone.

For not Rapid Spin, go with Breloom, Jolly nature with 252 EV's and a 31 IV in Speed. Make sure that you kept it as Shroomish until level 45 to learn Spore, or that one of its parents is a Shroomish/Breloom with it.

You could also go for Amoonguss, but that's... not quite great.

I'm not a fan of Destiny Bond. Personally I hate the idea of making one of your pokemon kamikaze. Therefore I'm not making any suggestions on that front.

3. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 5 | Offers: 9 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 1
    Give Metagross Grass Knot because LOGIC.... jk main reason as to why Grass Knot is because you need a counter for ground and Grass Knot depends on weight... Where mostly ALL Ground types are heavy and is weak to Grass as we may know, simple as that, Grass Knot is one of the best Ground Type Counters!

Pikachu Belle Guest
    PokeBay Stats: Trades: | Offers: | Wishlist Items: | Wishlist Offers: | Battles: | Battle Requests:
    I'd recommend Mandibuzz but that would only add to your fairy weakness. Plus I suggest an all out attacking Alakazam with focus sash. No point recovering it to be honest. Black Sludge works for Gengar.. Life orb is nice on a Charizard I guess. No comment on Tyranitar cause I've never used one competitively. Metagross.. I love Metagross. Personally I'd make him an all out attacker and give him an Assault Vest or a Weakness Policy. Bullet Punch is great too ^^

5. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 12 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 4 | Battle Requests: 6
    How is Alakazam weak to fairy? O.o
    Poison Type Veteran

6. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 4 | Offers: 4 | Wishlist Items: 4 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiep17 View Post
    Alright, let's see...

Thanks to Tyranitar and Metagross' secondary typings, Bug isn't a worry. However, you have a nasty weakness to Fairy type on Alakazam and Tyranitar, and the resistance isn't present on Metagross.
    What robin said, While Ala isn't geared to take out fairy, gengar has a super effective move and resistance, and Metagross also has a super effective move and fairy resistance.

1) Is neutral or resistant to Water, Fighting, Dark, and Ground, or at least three of the four
    2) Is tanky as all hell, and given the weaknesses you have, preferably a physical wall
    3) If not tanky, can easily take an opponent with them
    I'm thinking Gyarados with a megastone might fill this role. Bulky, intimidate to reduce enemy atk, immune to ground unevolved, resistant to water/dark when evolved etc.
    Dragon dance, waterfall, ice fang, and earthquake maybe(hidden ability lets it hit flying/levitating targets)
    Now, one thing I'm noting is you don't have any way to counteract entry hazards. This is an issue. Stealth Rock will ruin your Charizard and deal at least moderate damage to both Gengar and Alakazam. Metagross and Tyranitar aren't worried... but Poison Spikes will make Tyranitar begin to sweat a little. Metagross still doesn't have to worry, but he's Metagross, he doesn't give a ****.
    While this is true, and the comment made me consider an entry hazard pokemon myself I think i might try to go without it to see how often it actually hurts me. Also Alakazam is immune to all entry hazards via magic guard so thats one more that doesnt give a **** lol

I'm not a fan of Destiny Bond. Personally I hate the idea of making one of your pokemon kamikaze. Therefore I'm not making any suggestions on that front.
    I didn't build him with the intent to sac him, but if something comes up that im not equipped to handle, or if im sure i wont survive another attack, having that "OH S**T" button is handy.

Big thanks to Geo, my metagross now knows grass knot

Also while ive considered a build similar to what tammie suggested, agil-gross is just too damn appealing. A monster of a tank out-speeding just about everything?? Hell yes.
    Last edited by alittlehazy; 08-13-2014 at 01:54 PM.