Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Future of Pokémon games

1. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 120 | Offers: 174 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 16 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraSound View Post
    While I can see your point that it'd be easier for new players and it would probably cut the amount of hacks, removing IV's and/or EV's would ultimately defeat the whole purpose of competitive battling. A lot of people play pokémon only so they can IV breed and EV train competitive pokémon. And IV's and EV's have been made way easier to understand, it's easier to find pokémon with better IV's and EV training's gotten a lot more easier. I think that's more than enough for newcomers.
    And isn't the whole point of games in the beginning to start with something fairly bad and through the game figuring out how to do better?

I'm not sure if I like the idea of Amiibos. For me they just feel like money hogging.
    Well, maybe?! I could see it also make it more competitive too because there would be more people into it. Say they lock IV's so that they have a standard per pokemon, and allow EV's still be gained it would still be competitive. It's easy enough to hit the bag a few times, and get the EV's you want, maybe add it so they could get more then the standard. They are trying to target the casual gamer now, by going into the cellphone market this year.

It is money hogging... but that's the way they are going now, there is a news articular about how they are wanting 40% of what a youtuber makes from posting videos.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/yo...grab-1.3010550

- the new 3ds has Amiibo built in now -

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobe...-amiibo-ready/

They've done it to Super Smash Bros, why wouldn't they do it to pokemon? It makes sense. and ¢ents.
    I'm actually banking on it lol, and buying the current Smash Bro pokemons hoping that IF that is the route they go, that they would have some sorta rare move sets / rares on it.
    Pokemon Y : 5112 - 4711 - 4211 (Steel Type)

2. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 42 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Xessive View Post
    Well, maybe?! I could see it also make it more competitive too because there would be more people into it. Say they lock IV's so that they have a standard per pokemon, and allow EV's still be gained it would still be competitive. It's easy enough to hit the bag a few times, and get the EV's you want, maybe add it so they could get more then the standard. They are trying to target the casual gamer now, by going into the cellphone market this year.

It is money hogging... but that's the way they are going now, there is a news articular about how they are wanting 40% of what a youtuber makes from posting videos.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/yo...grab-1.3010550

- the new 3ds has Amiibo built in now -

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobe...-amiibo-ready/

They've done it to Super Smash Bros, why wouldn't they do it to pokemon? It makes sense. and ¢ents.
    I'm actually banking on it lol, and buying the current Smash Bro pokemons hoping that IF that is the route they go, that they would have some sorta rare move sets / rares on it.
    I suppose an IV lock would work, but I think it'd still eliminate the point of IV breeding if you're just going to get the same stats as the guy you're battling. The only thing they'd be useful for then would be during the storyline.

Great...I hope it'll at least be optional so you don't have like two choices - spend +500 hours doing something over and over or buy it for 20 euros. I don't want pokémon to turn into your general Facebook game where you either wait months to progress or spend all your money to get a virtual bunny or something.

3. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 43 | Offers: 5 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Discordia View Post
    Personally, I'd rather game freak increases the amount of Evs on a pokemon from 510 to 762. First off, a pokemon has 6 stats but can only ev train 2 of the 6, why not 3 of the 6? Second, pokemons are defeated too easily, perhaps adding 252 more Evs would make frailer pokemons more bulkier and make pokemon more fun.
    I think part of the fun of the game is figuring out how to make supposedly weaker or frail pokemon come out tough in the end. Instead of making weaker pokemon more sturdy, what some people do is figure out what exactly is their strong points. You'll notice most of the time, the pokemon who cant take a hit usually have some other special move or ability exclusive to them that can end up catching the opponent by surprise and changing the game around entirely, and I think that's what the point of it is. I never understood the point of making every Pokemon need to have an evolution or a Mega or beef up their stats because not all pokemon are meant to even be battle ready. Some are just filler. Some are just cute. But I think evening out everyone's stats or improving their weak spots is not the direction they want to go in. It's very much a thinking game and it teaches you to never underestimate what a Pokemon can do jsut because it's unevolved or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

tbh i dont even really get the point of EV/IV competitive Pokemon. Why can't all the pokemon just be equal and the battle be based on movesets, like in Smash Bros or something? Like, I understand that a Dragonite is stronger than, say, a Kingler, for example, but why can't ALL the Kingler be the same strength, and ALL the Dragonite, and ALL the Raichu, etc, be the same individual strength? It really just separates all the players into differing categories and it isn't even necessary from what I see. They may be making it easier to understand the EV/IC concepts but what's the purpose of it? If they got rid of it, it would allow everyone to battle on the same starting foot, and then the hold items, abilities, and movesets would be the only things to really ponder and be creative over.
    Last edited by GaryEhffinJoaker; 04-13-2015 at 11:19 PM.

4. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 120 | Offers: 174 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 16 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    ...Spend all your money to get a virtual bunny or something.
    You mean you don't want a limited edition Bunnelby..? IT WILL KNOW DRAIN RAGE!!!!!

5. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 1 | Offers: 4 | Wishlist Items: 1 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Personally, I'd rather game freak increases the amount of Evs on a pokemon from 510 to 762. First off, a pokemon has 6 stats but can only ev train 2 of the 6, why not 3 of the 6? Second, pokemons are defeated too easily, perhaps adding 252 more Evs would make frailer pokemons more bulkier and make pokemon more fun.
    This sounds interesting. While the most common speculation I hear involves scrapping the IV system, that could create problems when transferring older pokemon into your games, since they are already IV'd. Any future pokemon games will have to be compatible with PokeBank, so that presents problems. Increasing EV's, however, would make IV's less important, which seems in line with the direction of accessibility they have been moving in.

For a long time now, I have expected them to make event pokemon available as paid DLC. This would help cut down on hacks, as well as be a nice cash grab for the company. It's not necessarily a direction I would like to see them take, but I probably wouldn't object too much if they did.
    Last edited by Inan; 04-14-2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Correcting spelling
    Current Breeding Project: None
    Contact me for any of the above, before I stop being lazy and Wonder Trade them all

6. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 42 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by AkioEffinOak View Post
    tbh i dont even really get the point of EV/IV competitive Pokemon. Why can't all the pokemon just be equal and the battle be based on movesets, like in Smash Bros or something? Like, I understand that a Dragonite is stronger than, say, a Kingler, for example, but why can't ALL the Kingler be the same strength, and ALL the Dragonite, and ALL the Raichu, etc, be the same individual strength? It really just separates all the players into differing categories and it isn't even necessary from what I see. They may be making it easier to understand the EV/IC concepts but what's the purpose of it? If they got rid of it, it would allow everyone to battle on the same starting foot, and then the hold items, abilities, and movesets would be the only things to really ponder and be creative over.
    I think it's fun when I can beat a pokémon that's considered stronger than what I'm using, and I'm beating it only because my pokémon had a better training. It gives me the feeling that I worked hard with my pokémon to be able to do that, I didn't beat them just because my pokémon has better base stats than the one I'm battling. If they got rid of IV's, I don't think moves would really matter, the only thing that'd ultimately decide who wins are the base stats of the teams. The only thing that'd matter is what pokémon you have with you.
    For me the purpose is fun. It's a nice feeling when you finally get that pokémon with good stats and can begin training it. I think the IV and EV system teaches that you have to work to get what you want.
    While there's a lot of moves and new ones still being added through every game, I think people would just get stuck with certain item-ability-moveset combinations, and it's fairly common already. With IV's and EV's you can decide yourself if your pokémon is defensive or offensive type, or maybe both or something else. You're not stuck with what the game developers decided, you can break the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Xessive View Post
    You mean you don't want a limited edition Bunnelby..? IT WILL KNOW DRAIN RAGE!!!!!
    Nope. And in the end, people will breed the move and pass the drain rage bunnelby around and soon everyone will have one.
    Last edited by UltraSound; 04-14-2015 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Typos and general confusion (there's still a lot of that but ain't nobody got time fo' dat)

7. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 3 | Offers: 23 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    The IV and EV system is game freaks' simplified version of genetics. No two humans are genetically equal, the same applies to animals. If pokemons were real, a virus strain that have mutated solely for the dragonite species, would completely decimate, because everyone is the same, no genetical diversities, no resistances.
    Removing IVs would be detrimental to pokemon, what reasons would players have to trade? All trading would be done in the name of dex completion. There would also be no reason to breed either. I agree that removing IVs would help reduce hacks, but supposed persons try to hack for IVs? Some hackers only hack to stand out from the crowd.
    I doubt it would completely eradicate hacking to be honest and I'm sure game freak have heard all these arguments against IVs already. They know removing it would cause an inevitable backlash of quitting players, hence why IVs and shinyness still exist, from now and beyond.
    Last edited by Fox Goddess Inari; 04-14-2015 at 04:53 PM.

8. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 290 | Offers: 509 | Wishlist Items: 26 | Wishlist Offers: 43 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I would like to have it where Pokemon follow you, I really enjoyed that in Heartgold and Soulsilver and I would like to see it in another Pokemon game and have a legendary in the game were it is shiny so you don't have to soft reset like the shiny Gyarados in Heartgold and Soulsilver. I would also like to see more personalisation of your character like in X and Y.

9. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 43 | Offers: 5 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Inan View Post
    This sounds interesting. While the most common speculation I hear involves scrapping the IV system, that could create problems when transferring older pokemon into your games, since they are already IV'd. Any future pokemon games will have to be compatible with PokeBank, so that presents problems. Increasing EV's, however, would make IV's less important, which seems in line with the direction of accessibility they have been moving in.

For a long time now, I have expected them to make event pokemon available as paid DLC. This would help cut down on hacks, as well as be a nice cash grab for the company. It's not necessarily a direction I would like to see them take, but I probably wouldn't object too much if they did.
    I don't think the IV thing would be a problem in transfers. Just like how when the Abilities of Pokemon change from gen to gen, when transferred, the ability changes to the new one, so with IVs, it'd just disappear altogether to whatever standards are in the current game. I don't think they're cutting on the IV system because they made it even easier to do this Gen thanks to Destiny Knot. They seem to be making it easier to get into competitive play.

- - - Updated - - -

The IV and EV system is game freaks' simplified version of genetics. No two humans are genetically equal, the same applies to animals. If pokemons were real, a virus strain that have mutated solely for the dragonite species, would completely decimate, because everyone is the same, no genetical diversities, no resistances.
    Removing IVs would be detrimental to pokemon, what reasons would players have to trade? All trading would be done in the name of dex completion. There would also be no reason to breed either. I agree that removing IVs would help reduce hacks, but supposed persons try to hack for IVs? Some hackers only hack to stand out from the crowd.
    I doubt it would completely eradicate hacking to be honest and I'm sure game freak have heard all these arguments against IVs already. They know removing it would cause an inevitable backlash of quitting players, hence why IVs and shinyness still exist, from now and beyond.
    I definitely wouldn't say it'd be detrimental to Pokemon. In fact, removing the overobsession of making Pokemon superior to one another thanks to usually randomized IVs, and leaving the final results up to actual thought and prediction and skill might really be what draws people in. I don't think too many people love EV/IV training, regardless how easy it is this gen. I think if they remove those aspects, then it'd be like, everyone is at their max values of efforts and experience, and it's all down to what really matters, the battle. I dont see how it would affect trading because of breed only or event only moves and pokemon. It would cut it down, yes, but it wouldn't cut out the need of breeding. But I do get the genetics thing they are doing, I just find it causes some to focus on one aspect and then ignore other battling situations as a result.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=UltraSound;69580]I think it's fun when I can beat a pokémon that's considered stronger than what I'm using, and I'm beating it only because my pokémon had a better training. It gives me the feeling that I worked hard with my pokémon to be able to do that, I didn't beat them just because my pokémon has better base stats than the one I'm battling. If they got rid of IV's, I don't think moves would really matter, the only thing that'd ultimately decide who wins are the base stats of the teams. The only thing that'd matter is what pokémon you have with you.
    For me the purpose is fun. It's a nice feeling when you finally get that pokémon with good stats and can begin training it. I think the IV and EV system teaches that you have to work to get what you want.
    While there's a lot of moves and new ones still being added through every game, I think people would just get stuck with certain item-ability-moveset combinations, and it's fairly common already. With IV's and EV's you can decide yourself if your pokémon is defensive or offensive type, or maybe both or something else. You're not stuck with what the game developers decided, you can break the rules.

I don't think at all if would limit battling to the Pokemon in your team as the winner or the base stat. I hate to bring this up, but, if you recall the VGC match of Se Jun who used a Pachirisu to wreck teams, Pachirisu is not at all a contender to top base stat Pokemon, but it was able to handle moves from a Mega Tyranitar and a Salamence, at the same time, and with assistance from Pokemon like Rotom-G and Garchomp, it won the match. This doesn't make Pachirisu a strong Pokemon, but it's the point that stats aren't always the focus of a match. Moves would be all the more important, so example, Pachi using Electric Terrain and Follow Me so that all moves not only were forced to hit it, but they were turned into Electric moves, which only healed it because of it's Volt Absorb Ability. On this site alone I've seen weaker Pokemon outsmart more powerful foes, and there's always stat altering moves like Swords Dance and Quiver Dance and Cosmic Power majorly assist. You do bring up you can control what stats you increase thanks to IV and EV training, which is a great point, but it isn't entirely up to you, like things like a Special A Machamp or a Speedy Slowbro will never happen, so it's still ultimately the designers who make the rules.

10. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 3 | Offers: 23 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    [QUOTE=AkioEffinOak;69588]I don't think the IV thing would be a problem in transfers. Just like how when the Abilities of Pokemon change from gen to gen, when transferred, the ability changes to the new one, so with IVs, it'd just disappear altogether to whatever standards are in the current game. I don't think they're cutting on the IV system because they made it even easier to do this Gen thanks to Destiny Knot. They seem to be making it easier to get into competitive play.

- - - Updated - - -

I definitely wouldn't say it'd be detrimental to Pokemon. In fact, removing the overobsession of making Pokemon superior to one another thanks to usually randomized IVs, and leaving the final results up to actual thought and prediction and skill might really be what draws people in. I don't think too many people love EV/IV training, regardless how easy it is this gen. I think if they remove those aspects, then it'd be like, everyone is at their max values of efforts and experience, and it's all down to what really matters, the battle. I dont see how it would affect trading because of breed only or event only moves and pokemon. It would cut it down, yes, but it wouldn't cut out the need of breeding. But I do get the genetics thing they are doing, I just find it causes some to focus on one aspect and then ignore other battling situations as a result.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's fun when I can beat a pokémon that's considered stronger than what I'm using, and I'm beating it only because my pokémon had a better training. It gives me the feeling that I worked hard with my pokémon to be able to do that, I didn't beat them just because my pokémon has better base stats than the one I'm battling. If they got rid of IV's, I don't think moves would really matter, the only thing that'd ultimately decide who wins are the base stats of the teams. The only thing that'd matter is what pokémon you have with you.

I don't think at all if would limit battling to the Pokemon in your team as the winner or the base stat. I hate to bring this up, but, if you recall the VGC match of Se Jun who used a Pachirisu to wreck teams, Pachirisu is not at all a contender to top base stat Pokemon, but it was able to handle moves from a Mega Tyranitar and a Salamence, at the same time, and with assistance from Pokemon like Rotom-G and Garchomp, it won the match. This doesn't make Pachirisu a strong Pokemon, but it's the point that stats aren't always the focus of a match. Moves would be all the more important, so example, Pachi using Electric Terrain and Follow Me so that all moves not only were forced to hit it, but they were turned into Electric moves, which only healed it because of it's Volt Absorb Ability. On this site alone I've seen weaker Pokemon outsmart more powerful foes, and there's always stat altering moves like Swords Dance and Quiver Dance and Cosmic Power majorly assist. You do bring up you can control what stats you increase thanks to IV and EV training, which is a great point, but it isn't entirely up to you, like things like a Special A Machamp or a Speedy Slowbro will never happen, so it's still ultimately the designers who make the rules.
    I must say, you made an excellent point there, perhaps IVs aren't all that but what about the hidden power system. Some pokemons are blessed with great stats, abilities or typing but cursed with a shallow move pool, sometimes forcing them to rely on hidden power for coverage, what would become of pokemons like for example latios who's walled by ferrothorn or scizor?

On another note I'd like in later generations, players can choose to get around the region on our party pokemons similar to riding skiddos in pokemon x and y. That would be so cool, riding a rapidash or raikou all over da place. :3

11. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 43 | Offers: 5 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I must say, you made an excellent point there, perhaps IVs aren't all that but what about the hidden power system. Some pokemons are blessed with great stats, abilities or typing but cursed with a shallow move pool, sometimes forcing them to rely on hidden power for coverage, what would become of pokemons like for example latios who's walled by ferrothorn or scizor?

On another note I'd like in later generations, players can choose to get around the region on our party pokemons similar to riding skiddos in pokemon x and y. That would be so cool, riding a rapidash or raikou all over da place. :3[/QUOTE]

Good catch on the IV/HP thing, but I don't think that'd be a problem either. As mentioned before, Pokemon with one ability one gen, for example, Chandelure had, I think, HA Shadow Tag, and this Gen it was changed to Infiltrator. So, if you somehow got HA Chandelure in Gen 5 (impossible without hacking) then, transferring it to Gen 6 would force it into Infiltrator. It'd be simple for them to find a new method of determining HP if IVs were removed, like how they found a new way to evolve Feebas for Gen 5 when contests were gone.

12. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 120 | Offers: 174 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 16 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by AkioEffinOak View Post

On another note I'd like in later generations, players can choose to get around the region on our party pokemons similar to riding skiddos in pokemon x and y. That would be so cool, riding a rapidash or raikou all over da place. :3
    Good catch on the IV/HP thing, but I don't think that'd be a problem either. As mentioned before, Pokemon with one ability one gen, for example, Chandelure had, I think, HA Shadow Tag, and this Gen it was changed to Infiltrator. So, if you somehow got HA Chandelure in Gen 5 (impossible without hacking) then, transferring it to Gen 6 would force it into Infiltrator. It'd be simple for them to find a new method of determining HP if IVs were removed, like how they found a new way to evolve Feebas for Gen 5 when contests were gone.[/QUOTE]

Hidden Power systems are easy to fix: Set a base power and keep it normal? Or just remove it? We're talking about one move here. Walls are no biggy.. Just because it's walled by one, doesn't mean it's wallled by all, and really one should have coverage for just in case moments. One can still wipe out a stronger pokemon with stronger EV's and if they added more power to them ...Even make the STAB stronger..?

-------------

Riding pokemon was actually pretty fun.

------------

Here's another strong topic: What about removing HM's and make them TM's?

13. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 43 | Offers: 5 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Hidden Power is definitely a big deal. It's fairly crucial for many both competitive and non competitive. Making it Normal would ruin its entire purpose. I hope they NEVER do that. But connecting it with IVs can be switched to something else instead. It could just be entirely random, which would tick many competitive people off, or they could just invent some other method. I think STAB is at a level currently that makes it fair. Where it isn't TOO much more power, but just enough to make you think if it's worth it to add to your set or not.

14. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 120 | Offers: 174 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 16 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I've used hidden power ONCE on my teams... and it's not the most important thing on my team. I won't fall apart with or without it. Maybe they could attach it to use of an item. Need HP ice? bang, eat an ice cream cone. Need HP grass? Well there's a plant for that. Easy fix.

The only thing "important" about Hidden Power is Unown. and how 'rare' that pokemon is. You'd think they would of gave it another move by now. Crafty Shield? Misty Terrain? Ally Switch? Cosmic Power? Imprison? ...Nope. Just Hidden Power. That's what they can do for next gen.

15. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 120 | Offers: 174 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 16 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    What about removing HM's and make them all TM's?