Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to build a proper team: please help

1. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 4 | Offers: 3 | Wishlist Items: 3 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0

Trying to build a proper team: please help

Some guys around here might already know that I have the most non defense timid fast attackers that can be found together in one team around here. However I have this problem: my pokemanz are almost always OHKOed.

And unfortunately due to their lack of IVs they are not always fast enough to deal the damage they ought to before going down. Right now I got 5 s.atkers and 1 physical attacker (but my Crobat is so mediocre he's like non existent). I was thinking of adding a Greninja on my main team and replace Starmie. But: should I make him full atk or s.atk?

I have a nice combo for atk in mind, like safeguard and swagger used on him by teammate for double battles. But is that enough? Please I need some advice and suggestions.

My team right now is Crobat, Starmie(though I prefer Golduck), Zoroark, Gengar, Alakazam (all frail so far) and Gardevoir (don't know how but she's the bulkiest of my team xD)

Any advice accepted.

I'm...weird. In my own, weird way.
    Weird....isn't it?

2. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 52 | Offers: 35 | Wishlist Items: 10 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Besides Crobat is this a full SpA heavy team, thats one point. Though its a valid strategy, I'm not the biggest fan of "Hyper-Offensive". =/ If you think, your team lacks tanks or stallers, you should switch a little bit around.

A good strategy to build good competetive team is to choose one or two of your favorite pokemon and build around them.

Edit: just btw, Gardevoir has 115 base in SpD, in its megaform, its even 135. no wonder she is bulky
    Last edited by Zambajazz; 03-31-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: research

3. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 4 | Offers: 3 | Wishlist Items: 3 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I have two gardevoirs. One has an incredible s.def but is very slow. The other has much speed but little s.def. Both have same s.atk. What about that?

Weird....isn't it?

4. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 1 | Offers: 4 | Wishlist Items: 1 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader7 View Post
    Some guys around here might already know that I have the most non defense timid fast attackers that can be found together in one team around here. However I have this problem: my pokemanz are almost always OHKOed.

And unfortunately due to their lack of IVs they are not always fast enough to deal the damage they ought to before going down. Right now I got 5 s.atkers and 1 physical attacker (but my Crobat is so mediocre he's like non existent). I was thinking of adding a Greninja on my main team and replace Starmie. But: should I make him full atk or s.atk?

I have a nice combo for atk in mind, like safeguard and swagger used on him by teammate for double battles. But is that enough? Please I need some advice and suggestions.

My team right now is Crobat, Starmie(though I prefer Golduck), Zoroark, Gengar, Alakazam (all frail so far) and Gardevoir (don't know how but she's the bulkiest of my team xD)

Any advice accepted.
    Greninja is fragile. Very fragile. I like him, but he is not the solution to your particular problems. You need some bulkier pokemon. Speed is good, but it has to be used correctly. A fragile pokemon has to hit hard right out of the gate. Wasting turns on setup is an invitation to be destroyed before you can unleash your power, so I don't think you'll get much joy out of your safeguard/swagger plan.

Having said that, I have a physical Greninja myself. Basically, this is because I wanted to use Water Shuriken, as well as Mat Block in doubles. I don't think I have really found the best way to use him yet, but he definitely has potential, and your team does lack a bit in the physical attack department. The best set I've seen for a physical Greninja is probably the "Greflincha" set. Basically, getting multiple hits with Water Shuriken while holding a King's Rock, and some other moves that cause flinching can create a hard-hitting, yet pseudo-defensive pokemon. Rock Slide would be a must in doubles, but overall this approach is probably better in singles. I hope this helps.
    Current Breeding Project: None
    Contact me for any of the above, before I stop being lazy and Wonder Trade them all

5. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 52 | Offers: 35 | Wishlist Items: 10 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    i would asume different EV spreads? maybe even IV's? my point is, that a special wall alone is not enough. If you want a hyper offensive team, you need a stall breaker, for example mixed thundurus. is crobat your defoger? if not, it needs to learn it (since its an egg-move, you would need a new one =( )
    Last edited by Zambajazz; 03-31-2015 at 05:49 PM. Reason: english is not my first language :c

6. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 4 | Offers: 3 | Wishlist Items: 3 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Well I mean which one would be more suitable, the slow defender or the fast attacker? 0.o

And yeah, that sounds like an ok Greninja build, plus I had the rock slide in mind in this. Well, that Safeguard-Protect(by Greninja)-Swager Combo would be more effective in triple battles, so I doubt it would find any usage in doubles xD
    Last edited by Crusader7; 03-31-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Weird....isn't it?

7. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 52 | Offers: 35 | Wishlist Items: 10 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    for your team choice, the slow defender, but thats not enough. your whole team gets pretty much destroyed by only chansey and mega Manectric and by OU standarts these two are common.

Edit: If I am allowed to ask, why do you want to play with this team? what are your thoughts behind every pokemon?
    Last edited by Zambajazz; 03-31-2015 at 06:20 PM.

8. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 120 | Offers: 174 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 16 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I don't know how much my word has to say compared to some of the legends on here, but one look on your team shows the opponent that all they have to do is trick room and all that speed you set, will set you back. If you had a tank of some sort (Venusaur comes to mind) and at least it would appear that you have some versatility even if you don't use it?

Also, think of synergy instead of just being an all out attack, think of what complements the others on your team.

aka. having someone on your team using Surf, with your teammate knowing ability Water Absorb..?
    Last edited by Xessive; 04-01-2015 at 06:11 AM.
    Pokemon Y : 5112 - 4711 - 4211 (Steel Type)

9. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 12 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 4 | Battle Requests: 6
    I used to have that problem too. I was convicted speed was everything until my dark team got swept by a psychic team. Only then did I learn of the importance of defences. I think it's really cool that you're using all your favourite Pokémon, but do you have other favourites besides those 7? I actually set up a group for this purpose exactly: trying to use your favourite Pokémon while also standing up to competitive teams so if you want to pm me some ideas I'd be happy to offer some personal advice
    Poison Type Veteran

10. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 4 | Offers: 3 | Wishlist Items: 3 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zambajazz View Post
    for your team choice, the slow defender, but thats not enough. your whole team gets pretty much destroyed by only chansey and mega Manectric and by OU standarts these two are common.

Edit: If I am allowed to ask, why do you want to play with this team? what are your thoughts behind every pokemon?
    Well...It's just that I like them.I always was fond of moving first, but apart from that I pick pokemon that make me feel nice to play with. It's my own style after all, to hit an run xD Plus I like small in size pokemon, mostly from 1st Gen (hence Gengar, Alakazam, Golduck, Electrode - who is in my simple team that doesn't intend to win )

Mostly that in general. That's why I ended up with so limite type and move advantages xD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xessive View Post
    I don't know how much my word has to say compared to some of the legends on here, but one look on your team shows the opponent that all they have to do is trick room and all that speed you set, will set you back. If you had a tank of some sort (Venusaur comes to mind) and at least it would appear that you have some versatility even if you don't use it?

Also, think of synergy instead of just being an all out attack, think of what complements the others on your team.

aka. having someone on your team using Surf, with your teammate knowing ability Water Absorb..?
    Uh....Trick room. It has happened three times. In 5 turns that it endures I lost 5 pokemon

Yeah it's a total disaster though I don't keep these pokemon just for their speed but also because I like their style. Most of them I've been using in all gens for more than 10 years so it's also kind of my favs grouping in a team and forming a disaster xD

And about synergy, I only have the combo of Alakazam using telekinesis and Gengar using hypnosis or focus blast. But this combo almost always costs me Gengar or Alakazam (whoever the awake enemy targets )

Weird....isn't it?

11. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 52 | Offers: 35 | Wishlist Items: 10 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    [...] trick room [...]
    another good point, trick room is not played that much, but it would counter any speed you have

[...](Venusaur comes to mind) [...]
    Venusaur would be another special attacker =/ assault vest conkeldurr (only an example) would be a more optimal choice

no offense :s

Edit: Is this team meant for doubles? or which format do you want to play with you team?
    Last edited by Zambajazz; 04-01-2015 at 04:19 PM.

12. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 4 | Offers: 3 | Wishlist Items: 3 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zambajazz View Post

Edit: Is this team meant for doubles? or which format do you want to play with you team?
    Any. I don't care which one but I prefer to use these guys all the time. I sometimes see that they function nicely in triple battles, especially when the fast guys clear the field a bit for my M. Gardevoir to use her hyper voice and deal decent damage

EDIT: Zoroark is absolutely Circumstancial and I use him just because I like his ability. Most of the time this guy disguised as Gengar draws psychic moves and buys me time for the others to work.
    Last edited by Crusader7; 04-01-2015 at 04:41 PM.

Weird....isn't it?

13. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 52 | Offers: 35 | Wishlist Items: 10 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader7 View Post
    [...] Zoroark is absolutely Circumstancial [...]
    If that is the case, you could replace him with something defensive (Ferrothorn) or a bulky pokemon (Dragonite with multiscale)
    Last edited by Zambajazz; 04-01-2015 at 05:04 PM.

14. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 4 | Offers: 3 | Wishlist Items: 3 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I prefer early Gen pokemon. So I'd say, I must check the Pokedex a few times to end up on what I want anyway xD Thanks for all the advice by the way

Weird....isn't it?

15. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 52 | Offers: 35 | Wishlist Items: 10 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Dragonite is from the first gen
    Last edited by Zambajazz; 04-01-2015 at 05:51 PM.