Thread: VGC 2015 Tournament Report/Advice!

1. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 52 | Offers: 33 | Wishlist Items: 28 | Wishlist Offers: 6 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0

VGC 2015 Tournament Report/Advice!

Hello everyone,

Most of you know me here, however if you don't, my name is Grant. If you do, you probably know for the past several months I've really gotten into VGC battling.

VGC is the official battle format used by the Pokemon Company International at events. There are 4 general levels of official tournaments- Premier Challenges are local, Regionals cover the state or several states, Nationals cover a country, and Worlds is the exclusive elite tournament for all countries to compete (Yes, this is where Sejun Park won with a Pachirisu!). In America, you gain what are called Championship Points from high placings at events. At the end of the season, the Top 40 players with the most championship points represent the USA at Worlds. Other countries have similar qualification systems.

So why am I making this thread? I wanted to get people into VGC if they don't know about it. VGC incorporates double battles (there are several other unique rules), so there are many combination strategies. Nuggetbridge.com is a great resource to help you out with information. They have forums, many articles, etc.

Now, I recently have had success at some local premier challenges and regionals, so I wrote a team report of the team on Nugget Bridge, which can be found here: tinyurl.com/report-acceleration. This report covers the team I used to success. I highly recommend this team for beginners as it is very simple. Also, I've started a Youtube channel, and there are a couple videos to show how this team functions on there (I'll have new videos almost daily): youtube.com/c/VelocityVGC. I know it seems like I'm "advertising" myself, but in truth, I want to help out the people of Pokebay get into a new style of play, or just help them with double strategy, or even singles strategy as many mechanics apply.

So, if you need any help, or have any questions, I will start being more active in the chatbox, so you can catch me there, or you can PM me. I would be happy to help!
    Former Champion of the Official Pokebay League. November 23, 2014 to April 19, 2015
    VGC Battler, Won 2 Premier Challenges, Top 64 MO and MA Regionals

2. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 1 | Offers: 2 | Wishlist Items: 1 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 0
    *Wants to get into VGC but gets lost on nugget bridge* ;-;
    I am Alex, Alexander Reve. My pokemon and I see what others do not. It is not merely the future as many would have you believe, but we see much more than many. Come, let us do battle. If it is your dream to be the best, then prove it.

3. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 52 | Offers: 33 | Wishlist Items: 28 | Wishlist Offers: 6 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Reve View Post
    *Wants to get into VGC but gets lost on nugget bridge* ;-;
    I can help you with it
    Former Champion of the Official Pokebay League. November 23, 2014 to April 19, 2015

4. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 1 | Offers: 2 | Wishlist Items: 1 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
    I can help you with it
    I kinda put in hold since my AS was stolen. Been rebuilding other things and stuff.
    I am Alex, Alexander Reve. My pokemon and I see what others do not. It is not merely the future as many would have you believe, but we see much more than many. Come, let us do battle. If it is your dream to be the best, then prove it.

5. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 1 | Offers: 4 | Wishlist Items: 1 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Very interesting team, which couldn't be much further from my own. I'll definitely keep an eye on your youtube channel, since you did give me some useful advice on my Char-X team a while back. By the way, I have had some success with it, but the Heal Pulse Lucario was poorly thought out in hindsight. It just encouraged people to spam earthquake on my poor Char-X/Lucario combination. I'm working on replacing it with a Meganium who won't share that weakness and will help fake a Char-Y sun team, as well as have Aromatherapy, since paralysis has been an issue for my Charizard.

VGC is a really fun format, and I would definitely encourage people to try it out.
    Last edited by Inan; 06-16-2015 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Edited to remove an out of date signature.

6. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 52 | Offers: 33 | Wishlist Items: 28 | Wishlist Offers: 6 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Inan View Post
    Very interesting team, which couldn't be much further from my own. I'll definitely keep an eye on your youtube channel, since you did give me some useful advice on my Char-X team a while back. By the way, I have had some success with it, but the Heal Pulse Lucario was poorly thought out in hindsight. It just encouraged people to spam earthquake on my poor Char-X/Lucario combination. I'm working on replacing it with a Meganium who won't share that weakness and will help fake a Char-Y sun team, as well as have Aromatherapy, since paralysis has been an issue for my Charizard.
    VGC is a really fun format, and I would definitely encourage people to try it out.
    Thanks! Glad to see you had success. I see what you're saying regarding char-x and lucario. Charizard x is something I actually brought to a regional and did quite well. That team was in VGC2014 I believe, and 2015 is vastly different so I would recommend you check out these videos here (this is by Aaron zheng, 2x VGC National champion): https://youtu.be/bOdvbIPxYTM https://youtu.be/orOPrI0yl80 https://youtu.be/gaUtLiuWpZM. I would definitely recommend you check out eviolite clefairy. It's becoming extremely popular due to its defensiveness, redirection is always good, especially dragon attacks away from charizard, it can get helping hand and heal pulse for charizard. Definitely would recommend. Glad to see you like VGC so much, and that I could help you. Good luck!