Thread: POKEBAY BATTLE ASSOCIATION (PBA)

1. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 12 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 4 | Battle Requests: 6

POKEBAY BATTLE ASSOCIATION (PBA)

Hello, and welcome to a new battle experience for Pokebay inspired by the Global Battle Association (GBA)! This thread will include information about how the PBA will work, links to youtube videos and other sources to help you understand drafting, proceedings, other rules, etc., and how to register. Once you register, you will be invited to a private group where more details and links will be provided.

PLEASE READ ALL THE RULES AND INFORMATION BELOW BEFORE REGISTERING. IT IS ALSO RECOMMENDED YOU CHECK OUT ALL LINKS PROVIDED AS TO GET A BETTER IDEA OF WHAT TO EXPECT.

It is also recommended that you know you will be around at least once a week for the next 3 months for drafting and weekly PBA battles.

You may be asking yourself, what exactly IS the PBA? The concept is pretty straight forward.

1. If you decide to compete, you will become the captain of an 11-side Pokemon squad which you will use for the entire season (probably 9-13 weeks depending on how many people are interested).
    2. You can name your team after a real life sports club/city/state/whatever really. Current example include: The New York Mankeys, Long Island Regirockies, Real Marill... However, I'd ask that you do not choose a name that is already being used in the GBA/UCL. I'll post a list of current team names shortly.
    3. Before the season begins, every team captain drafts a squad of 11 Pokemon (10 + 1 mega). This will be conducted in a snake-like format. Once a Pokemon is chosen, they cannot be selected by another team. The only exceptions to this are the normal and mega forms, which are treated as separate Pokemon. EG. I can have mega sableye and you can have normal sableye, but I cannot have both normal and mega sableye. Rotom's different forms also count as separate Pokemon. All squads will be known to everyone else in the league.
    4. Each week, the team captain must choose 6 Pokemon from his/her squad to face the opposing team of that week in a 6v6 normal rules battle. These battles will take place once a week, preferably on weekends, but can be negotiated. The top 4 teams at the end of the preliminary rounds will progress to the play-offs (semi-final and final).
    5. Prizes (currently undetermined) will be presented to those who make it into the play-offs.

That is the general premises of the PBA.

The specific battling rules are as follows:

1. UPDATE: All battles will now take place on Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire games. This League is not compatible with XY rules.
    2. All battled will be in SINGLES format, 6v6 normal rules.
    3. As the GBA takes inspiration from Smogon rules, most clauses from Smogon will be applied. The exception being the use of a new GBA tier system.
    4. You must choose Pokemon only from your drafted squad of 11. There will, however, be 3 transfers allowed over the course of the preliminary battles in which captains can trade Pokemon in their squad out for another, assuming it is free and is in the same tier/point range as the Pokemon swapped out.
    5. Mega Pokemon must mega evolve the first turn they attack (Gyarados can still use intimidate and switch out repeatedly as long as it does not attack. To attack it must mega-evolve. Consequently, the the like of mega sharpedo will not be able to benefit from it's pre-mega speed boost ability.
    6. All battled must be saved and posted in the group page for future reference and table tie deciders.
    7. All battles must take place in "Uber" format to allow for GBA rules discrepancies.

Drafting:
    Once registry is over, drafting will commence, probably sometime in February. This will occur within a set time frame that will hopefully suit everyone, in which each participant will choose 1 Pokemon at a time. They must have exactly 11 Pokemon, including 1 Mega. The other 10 places will consist of 6 "tiered" Pokemon and 4 "free" Pokemon. This meaning, you must have 1 Pokemon from Tier 1, 1 from Tier 2, 2 from Tier 3, 1 from Tier 4, and 1 from Tier 5. The final 4 Pokemon can be chosen from any tier, HOWEVER, these trainers will only have 400 points to spend on these Pokemon. Pokemon in higher tiers will obviously cost more points, meaning you are going to have to spend your points wisely. Here is a link that explains how drafting will work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD3_fqaKqMY

Here is a list of Pokemon available to draft from and how much they will cost to draft into a "FREE" slot: http://i.imgur.com/8FrvESU.jpg
    Note: If Blaziken and Greninja they cannot have their HA's.

Franchising:
    Before drafting even begins, a captain can "franchise" a Pokemon. This basically means calling dibs on a Pokemon, before anybody else can snipe it from you. This will, however, cost 40 points from your initial 400. If 2 people are interested in the same Pokemon, the person who registered first will have priority. Here's a link to Franchising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkmE8YY6VFg

Further details and questions on drafting, franchising, and other info will be detailed on a group page.
    For a better example of how drafting works, here is an example from this season's GBA draft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uApRt03XFKA

~copy and paste the layout below, and fill in your details~

================================

Real/username:

3DS Friend Code:

In Game Name:

Team Name:

Have you read all the rules and agree to comply?

Disclaimer: All rules and ideas are taken from the members of the Global Battle Association (GBA). Their time and effort has gone into creating this League. The Pokebay Battle Association is merely a site-made replica of this idea and is only done with the intention of having fun. Please make sure to check out their main website as not to accidentally take an existing team name: http://battlegba.com/

Also, please show your love and support to the Youtubers that make up the original GBA. They're all fantastic! Links to their channels can be found under the video in this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0GzDNtn8KE

Finally, best of luck to all teams. Hopefully the PBA will get up and running, and everyone will have a good time. Best of luck, and peace out!!!

Current Teams:

KB- New York Night Shades
    Robin- The Mighty Psyducks
    Neko- Neko Islanders
    Snowy- Kanbatsu Brave Ones
    Chris- New York Golurks
    Josh- Houston Tauros
    Kyle- Philadelphia Goomies
    Tammie- Birmingham Braixens
    Last edited by Baby Koga; 04-04-2016 at 04:46 PM.
    Poison Type Veteran

2. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 0 | Offers: 6 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 8

Real/username: KB

Pokemon Showdown Username: Koga7

Team Name: New York Night Shades

Have you read all the rules and agree to comply? Yes!

Last edited by Ash; 02-01-2016 at 04:38 PM.

"Just because you come from a scary family doesn't mean you have to be scary too."
    Muriel, Courage The Cowardly Dog

3. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 12 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 4 | Battle Requests: 6

Real/username: Robin/Koga

Pokemon Showdown Username: Vankieth

Team Name: The Mighty Psyducks

Have you read all the rules and agree to comply? Yes

Poison Type Veteran

4. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 12 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 4 | Battle Requests: 6
    --UPDATE--

Due to little interest, I'm going to give this one more go, but with one change. Battles will now take place on ORAS games rather than Pokemon Showdown!

If there is enough interest, a draft will be held at the mid-end of this month, with the actual competition starting shortly after Easter. If interested please fill out the new form:

Real name or username: Robin/Koga

3DS Friend Code:

In Game Name:

Team Name:

Have you read all the rules and agree to comply?

Again, best of luck to all!
    Poison Type Veteran

5. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 39 | Offers: 42 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0
    I'm signing up!

==================

Neko

4596-9642-1454

Neko

(Have not totally decided on a team name yet, but for the moment we are going to go with) Neko Islanders

I read the rules and then watched several Youtube videos to have them reexplained to me in a way I better understand, and now I think I understand them, so... yes? We'll go with yes, I read and understand the rules.

6. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 11 | Offers: 21 | Wishlist Items: 12 | Wishlist Offers: 8 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 3
    Real name or username: Snowy/Sakura

3DS Friend Code: 1864-8412-3360

In Game Name: Foxy

Team Name: Kanbatsu Flame Forgers

Have you read all the rules and agree to comply? Yes
    Fire type Pokémon trainer traveling the world ~ Next stop: Alola!

7. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 39 | Offers: 42 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0
    If anyone is interested, I made a spreadsheet grouping Pokemon by their respective Tiers for the purposes of roster building, and I'm also going to keep track of what's being drafted when on my own copy during the draft. I *think* I got every Pokemon on there, so if you don't see something (like Aegislash or Mega Salamence) it's probably because it's banned, or if it's an unevolved form of something on the list that isn't listed itself, treat it as tier 5 (If you decide you want to use Eviolite Togetic or something?). If anything else does seem to be missing just let me know.

Each tier is labelled and color coded, with Megas of that tier grouped at the bottom in a darker shade of the same color. I recommend using Ctrl+F (or whatever the "Find in Document" command is on a Mac) and just typing the name of the Pokemon you are looking for, and seeing where it comes up. Each tier is also labeled with it's cost per Pokemon in points, and the number of points you gain if you take a Mega from a lower tier. Anything marked black has already been taken/franchised.

Again, let me know if there's anything I missed. Happy Drafting!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_f...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Nekodah; 03-10-2016 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Updated to include all franchised Pokemon, which are marked black. These Pokes have been franchised already!

8. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 12 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 4 | Battle Requests: 6
    That's awesome and will make the draft a lot easier to navigate. I'll probably make something similar for keeping track of the Pokemon people draft and add Pokemon to it during the actual draft itself so people know what's happening. Thanks Neko!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, just in regards to some of the rules. Although the GBA and UCL formats stem from Smogon rules, they have made it a lot broader in respect to what is allowed, including some Pokemon (as seen in Neko's tier spreadsheet), and in some clauses. Swagger is not banned from these leagues, and in turn, I am going to make a group where we can discuss and vote on which clauses stay or get dropped.
    Poison Type Veteran

9. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 0 | Offers: 0 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 5 | Battle Requests: 12
    Real name or username: Christopher/crosawood

3DS Friend Code:2037-0909-2053

In Game Name:Vivian Rose

Team Name: New York Golurks

Have you read all the rules and agree to comply?Yes
    I may come from the darkness or the fields of grass. But I will fight with honor and power with my best friends by my side. Especially my Espeon standing by me in battle. Come and challenge me brave advesaries.

10. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 87 | Offers: 196 | Wishlist Items: 13 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    I may possibly join this. I'll read the rules tomorrow morning when I'm more awake.

YouTube Facebook
    Twitter Instagram
    Back again on my own terms, to prove I still have what it takes to win.

11. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 21 | Offers: 53 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 3 | Battles: 4 | Battle Requests: 16
    Real/username: josh/yoda

3DS Friend Code:0430-8392-8905

In Game Name: Joshua

Team Name: the phantom fighters

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to change my team name to the Houston tauros
    Last edited by Yoda; 03-10-2016 at 01:07 PM.

12. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 1 | Offers: 2 | Wishlist Items: 1 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 0
    Realname/Username : Kris/CakefaceThunderLord
    3ds friend code 1246-9493-4405
    In game name : Alex
    Team name :Philadelphia Goomies
    I have read and comply with all rules.

I would like to Franchise Goodra
    Last edited by Kyle the Seeker; 03-10-2016 at 06:03 AM.
    I am Alex, Alexander Reve. My pokemon and I see what others do not. It is not merely the future as many would have you believe, but we see much more than many. Come, let us do battle. If it is your dream to be the best, then prove it.

13. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 23 | Offers: 6 | Wishlist Items: 5 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 8 | Battle Requests: 11
    Real name or username: Tammie/Yuuki

3DS Friend Code: 2879-0386-2618

In Game Name: Tamm

Team Name: Birmingham Braixens

Have you read all the rules and agree to comply? heck yeah

I'd like to franchise Scizor.
    Last edited by Inari; 03-11-2016 at 02:03 AM. Reason: franchise edit

14. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 12 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 4 | Battle Requests: 6
    We currently have 8 teams registered, and another interested. If you wish to enter, please apply by Sunday as applications are closing this weekend. Please message me about any queries.

Best of luck!
    Poison Type Veteran

15. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 12 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 4 | Battle Requests: 6
    Registration is now closed! Stay tuned for team drafts and PBA battles!
    Poison Type Veteran