Thread: Pyukumuku plush + pattern! (large images!)

1. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 42 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0

Pyukumuku plush + pattern! (large images!)

I had some down time during the holidays but couldn't get online or play games so I did the next best thing I know - sewing!

I absolutely LOVE Pyukumuku. At first I thought it was kinda weird and disgusting but it grew on me. A small sea potato that only wants to go home. Desperately wanting to be able to hug one I decided to create one!

Here's some pics of the finished thing:

pyukumuku.jpg

I know it's not 100% accurate, having a little smaller spikes and all that, but let's just ignore that and call it a chibi Pyukumuku - a real Pyukumuku would be 1'00" or 0.3 m, but this lil guy is about the size of my palm, a little smaller actually. It's about 10cm (about 4 inches) long snout to tail fluff. Since the pattern is a picture of the patterns I used, the size of your Pyukumuku may vary depending on how big you draw/print the patterns out as. If you want a generic idea of how long it will be snout to tail, it's pattern A + the tail length.
    There's no pattern for the eyes, but they're pretty much just tiny dots of the pink fabric appliqued on.

What you'll need:

Felt, or any other fabric of your choice (For a normal Pyukumuku, pink, black and white. For a shiny, yellow, green and white.)
    Needle and thread, preferably in colors of the fabrics you chose
    Stuffing
    The pattern:
    patterns.jpg

I didn't really memorize the whole process, I just brainfarted some patterns and sew what I thought would fit best next, but I'll try to explain what I can.

1. Cut out the fabrics using the patterns
    Amounts:
    A: 1 (black, for a shiny one green)
    B: 1 (black, for a shiny one green)
    C: 2 (white)
    D: 1 (white)
    E: 8 (pink, for a shiny one yellow)
    F: 4 (pink, for a shiny one yellow)

2. Sew together piece B darts

3. Take two E pieces and sew them together - only sew the U part, leave the flat bottom part open! 8 pieces of E's will make 4 spikes. Turn the finished spikes inside out.

4. Take two F pieces and sew them together - again, only sew the U part, leave the flat bottom part open. 4 pieces of E's will make 2 spikes. Turn the finished spikes inside out.

5. Take one of the bigger spikes and try it on the B piece to see where you want it. It should be a little left or right (depending which side you're trying it on - doesn't really matter since you're going to add the other spike on the other side anyway) from the middle of it's back, ex. my Pyukumuku's spikes are about 1cm (0.39in) apart, so about 0,5cm (0.19in) from the middle would be good. Mark the spot with a pen or a pin and then cut a small hole, about the size of the opening of the big spike's bottom. This is a good place to practice some good old trial and error - you can always make a hole bigger, but making a hole smaller is a lot harder. Make the hole small first, try the spike in and if it doesn't seem like it fits well, make it bigger until the bottom of the spike and the hole line up easy.

6. Sew the spike in the hole. Make sure to sew on the seam side of piece B so you won't end up with seams on the right side!

7. Do the same for all the other spikes. The bigger spikes should be sewn first since they're good "landmarks" to better figure out the placements of the small spikes. You can get some reference from the picture of my Pyukumuku above on how they should be placed. (the down-left picture)

8. Decide which end of the Pyukumuku is going to be it's face. Applique the...nose, mouth, thing, pattern D, low on the end which you decide to be it's face. Do this on the right, non-seam side of piece B! Remember to start sewing from the seam side though, you don't want the thread ball showing on the right side. Follow along the sides and applique it on. The upper line of the mouth should follow the seam on piece B - this assures it'll be centered.

9. Cut out small o or 0 pieces of pink (or yellow for a shiny) and applique them on the face for eyes. They should be next to the mouth, not above it on the sides! Pyukumuku's eyes are on the sides of it's mouth,not above! You can look at official art (http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/media.../pyukumuku.png) for reference.

10. Sew piece C, and again, leave the flat bottom open. Turn inside out. Sew the flat bottom on the butt end of your Pyukumuku. Do this on the non-seam side too but again, remember to start on the seam side to hide the ball of thread.

11. Flip your Pyukumuku inside out (with seams poking out and the spikes being holes) and pin the bottom (A piece) on it. Sew about half way or 3/4 around and leave the bum end open. Flip it again so it's right side out again.

12. Add stuffing. I suggest stuffing the spikes first, it's hard to stuff them if you've already stuffed everything else.

13. Sew your Pyukumuku's butt close. I suggest doing a Henson stitch, it hides the seam like magic! (The Henson stitch is basically one stitch on the top piece of fabric, one stitch on the lower piece of fabric, tighten the thread, repeat until close.) You can add some stuffing in the butt as you go if you feel like it needs more stuffing.

14. You're done with your Pyukumuku!

This took me a couple of hours to sew by hand, with a machine it would probably take only a couple of minutes for a skilled sewer. I know I'm kind of late for Christmas, but it's a nice little gift for any Pyukumuku fan!

2. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 0 | Offers: 0 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 14
    That's way better than I thought it'd look. Super impressive.
    Accept me, respect me, or meet my gorgeous wife and be turned into the latest doll in my collection. Either way, enjoy my fanfic. https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4355197/QueensBorough

3. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 42 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by CGBM View Post
    That's way better than I thought it'd look. Super impressive.
    Aw, thank you!

4. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 45 | Offers: 94 | Wishlist Items: 5 | Wishlist Offers: 10 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    This is sooo cute! I'll definitely have a go at this! Do you have the actual sizes for the different pattern bits?

5. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 42 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseryn View Post
    This is sooo cute! I'll definitely have a go at this! Do you have the actual sizes for the different pattern bits?
    Glad you like it! I'd love to see how it turns out

I'm not sure what you mean? They were laid completely flat for the pattern pic, they're the exact size I used, no altering needed to fit other pieces.

6. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 45 | Offers: 94 | Wishlist Items: 5 | Wishlist Offers: 10 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    So if I was to print out the image, the shapes would be the correct size?
    Sorry, my fault for phrasing it so badly!! I was wondering about the dimensions of the little guy ^^

7. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 42 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseryn View Post
    So if I was to print out the image, the shapes would be the correct size?
    Sorry, my fault for phrasing it so badly!! I was wondering about the dimensions of the little guy ^^
    Yes :3 The patterns always look kind of weird/like they wouldn't fit until you actually fit the fabrics together for sewing.