View Poll Results: Are There Too Many Pokemon?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 29.41%
  • No

12 70.59%

Thread: Too Many Pokemon?

1. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 33 | Offers: 54 | Wishlist Items: 7 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0

Too Many Pokemon?

With there being just shy over 800 different Pokemon, the question has to be asked: Do you think there are too many Pokemon?

Now I'm not saying that you can't love Pokemon from every generation, and that one generation is better than all the rest. I'm just saying that I think there are so many that it's hard to even remember all of them these days. With all the different moves, types, special variations, etc, sometime I have to use Bulbapedia quite a bit for the newer generations. The Pokemon Company has even dropped the tagline "Gotta Catch 'em All" once again because it can be such a difficult task.

What are your thoughts?
    Follow Pokebay on Facebook & Twitter for up-to-date news, giveaways, and more!

2. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 42 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0
    I can see the arguments for why there is too many pokémon - completing the Nat dex is a massive pain, remembering all the pokémon is near impossible along with all the abilities, movesets, ways of evolution, and all else, the designs are uninspiring to some people, list goes on. But for me, personally, call me crazy but I hope to see above thousand pokémon. I don't care if they keep making the games 20 years from now and have like 2000 pokémon. It's always so exciting to see the new pokémon, find out how they evolve and into what and what gimmicks they may have, all the pokedex entries and the ways they all fit into the ecosystem. It makes it more believable to me, like we're always on this constant journey to learn more of them and finding more. I don't know if I'm making my point clear here at all, but I guess the best way to express it is by what Bill said in the anime; https://youtu.be/0MJrZjmCKKE?t=172
    To sum it up, while I know Bulbapedia and Serebii exist and the feeling of unknown in games is kind of dead in the age we live in as all the info is a Google search away, but if you take those away from yourself, you're left with to figure it all out yourself. Figure out the unknown and explore. Since there's almost a thousand pokémon already, in the games, to quote Bill, "There's always something new to look for". I like being my own Pokémon Professor before relying on Google. :P Again, I'm not sure if I made my point clear, I feel like I just rambled my thoughts for a while...

3. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 23 | Offers: 6 | Wishlist Items: 5 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 8 | Battle Requests: 11
    At this point in time yes. Honestly after Alola I'm not sure what new mons they can bring to the table. I'd be down for more Alolan forms or Megas though.

4. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 0 | Offers: 0 | Wishlist Items: 0 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 14
    Making new Pokémon is extremely easy, realistically. Whether they're any good is another question based on opinion. They mad the god Pokémon in gen 4 and i was perplexed where the series possibly could go from there but here we are, somehow. I definitely wasn't looking to be catching up to 1,000 of these things and I kind of think Gamefreak might have something else up their sleeves before they set that high of a number on us. Some kind of like, alternative or just.... just something where we won't be catching a thousand Pokémon. I dunno what or how but I just am not sure they wanna go that far up. I've also felt the series could do a thing where they introduce a new region and all new Pokémon but we only can catch the new ones. Older Pokémon being entirely unavailable, pre and post game. I personally wouldn't mind that But I know that won't happen and would be hugely unpopular.

So do I think there's too many... no. I love the variety. I just wonder if the company itself thinks there's too many. They've been releasing less Pokémon every gen since Kalos. Makes me wonder if they aren't prepared for the upcoming 1,000 quite yet.
    Last edited by S.A. Natsu; 01-20-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    Accept me, respect me, or meet my gorgeous wife and be turned into the latest doll in my collection. Either way, enjoy my fanfic. https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4355197/QueensBorough

5. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 33 | Offers: 54 | Wishlist Items: 7 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by CGBM View Post
    Making new Pokémon is extremely easy, realistically. Whether they're any good is another question based on opinion. They mad the god Pokémon in gen 4 and i was perplexed where the series possibly could go from there but here we are, somehow. I definitely wasn't looking to be catching up to 1,000 of these things and I kind of think Gamefreak might have something else up their sleeves before they set that high of a number on us. Some kind of like, alternative or just.... just something where we won't be catching a thousand Pokémon. I dunno what or how but I just am not sure they wanna go that far up. I've also felt the series could do a thing where they introduce a new region and all new Pokémon but we only can catch the new ones. Older Pokémon being entirely unavailable, pre and post game. I personally wouldn't mind that But I know that won't happen and would be hugely unpopular.

So do I think there's too many... no. I love the variety. I just wonder if the company itself thinks there's too many. They've been releasing less Pokémon every gen since Kalos. Makes me wonder if they aren't prepared for the upcoming 1,000 quite yet.
    Good thoughts. Like you said, I love the variety as well and love how each are unique. I welcome all new Pokemon with open arms (even if some are kind of out there), but at over 800, it's hard to keep track and remember each of them and their evolutions, when/how they evoke, types, forms, etc.
    Follow Pokebay on Facebook & Twitter for up-to-date news, giveaways, and more!

6. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 6 | Offers: 1 | Wishlist Items: 3 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    There's not too many Pokemon! I can name every one! Bulbasaur.. calrerex.. kubfu.. hoopa.. sobble.. pidove.. I'm kinda sad pokemon sword and shield cut out have of the pokemon. Now there's too little!

7. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 594 | Offers: 911 | Wishlist Items: 21 | Wishlist Offers: 11 | Battles: 19 | Battle Requests: 0
    With the introduction of Basculegion and Wyrdeer, there are now 900 Pokemon. I wouldn't exactly say that there isn't enough Pokemon in Sword & Shield, think we have a good amount which keeps it fresh. In Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl we'll have the original National Dex we had in DP, so 1-493.

However, going forwards with Sword and Shield, not every Pokemon will be in the games, so we'll see more cuts in Gen 9 and onwards.
    Always give it your all, and never give up until it's the end!

8. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 6 | Offers: 1 | Wishlist Items: 3 | Wishlist Offers: 1 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    At least they kept absol. But the mega form is my favorite so.... Yeah.

9. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 594 | Offers: 911 | Wishlist Items: 21 | Wishlist Offers: 11 | Battles: 19 | Battle Requests: 0
    Wouldn't be surprised if we hit a thousand for Gen 9.
    Always give it your all, and never give up until it's the end!