Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: THE OFFICIAL POKEBAY LEAGUE -- SEASON 1

1. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 11 | Offers: 21 | Wishlist Items: 12 | Wishlist Offers: 8 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 3

THE OFFICIAL POKEBAY LEAGUE -- SEASON 1

Welcome to the Official Pokebay League!

The Official Pokebay League has finally risen out from the ashes and become anew!

Similar to many of the main series Pokemon games, the Pokebay League is a rigorous competitive battle challenge developed and supported by devoted Pokebay members. However, unlike previous incarnations of this league, we have decided to make a twist and embrace the warm environment of the Alola region!

We introduce the Sun and Moon Festival -- a brand new league battle style inspired by the Alola region. Not only does this new style enhance and differentiate battling to something fresh, it also may be of interest to traders and new competitive battlers, as well.

Feel free to check out how it works below!

Check out our official Discord server! This is the place to go if you ever want to check what your current rank is, how much PC you have, or if you simply have a question!
    https://discord.gg/ZYXpzw7

Challenger Rules & Regulations

Season 1 of the Sun and Moon Festival will take place from November 24, 2017 to May 24, 2018.

Please note that any badges/challenges won from previous seasons and/or versions of the official league are void and will not count towards progress in this version of the league.

You must own a copy of Pokemon Sun, Pokemon Moon, Pokemon Ultra Sun, or Pokemon Ultra Moon in order to participate. Pokemon X/Y/ORAS is not supported.

The use of hacked Pokemon is strictly forbidden. If you are discovered to be using hacked Pokemon, then you will face severe punishment, which may include a permanent ban from challenging the league.

One Legendary or Mythical Pokemon is allowed per league battle.

A player’s team may NOT contain two Pokemon with the same National Dex number (ex. Rotom form teams).

Any battle format is eligible for use -- the battle format will be decided between two battlers before they battle.

Participating in the Sun and Moon Festival

If you have read and fully understood the rules above, then you are ready to participate in the Sun and Moon Festival! The following is a brief guide to how this battle style works and some tips on how you can get started!

1. There are three different statuses one can have while in the Sun and Moon Festival: Member (unlimited), Gym Leader (eight), and Champion (one).

2. At the beginning of the season, all challengers start as Pokebay League Members (*with the exception of Season 1) and have the opportunity to battle each other to advance to higher positions by obtaining Pokebay Coins (PC). These coins are the currency used to advance and are obtained by battling other members. (Don’t worry about the math, we’ll take care of it for you! Simply focus on the battles and have fun. Please make sure to report your battles so we can get an accurate update!)

The reward values for winning are as follows:
      Victory against Member: 5 PC
      Victory against Gym Leader: 20 PC
      Victory against Champion: Hall of Fame entrance + giveaway nomination

If there is a case where two battlers are of two different ranks, the reward values will be set to lowest rank (i.e. a battle with a Member versus a Gym Leader will reward 5 PC to the victor)

3. In order to advance to become one of the eight Gym Leaders, one must collect and redeem 20 PC and defeat a current sitting Gym Leader. If the challenger wins, the Gym Leader will be dethroned back to Member and the challenger will take their place as Gym Leader. If the challenger loses, the challenger will have to recollect another 20 PC in order to challenge again.

4. In order to advance to become the Champion, one must be a sitting Gym Leader, collect and redeem 160 PC, and defeat the Champion. If the challenger wins, the Champion will be dethroned back to Member and the challenger will take their place as the Champion. If the challenger loses, the challenger will have to recollect another 160 PC in order to challenge again.

5. Upon becoming the Champion, one then obtains an entry to win a grand prize at the end of the season. At the end of the season, the Champion with the most entries will win the grand prize.

For Season 1, the grand prize consists of a battle-ready Shiny Charmander with its Hidden Ability Solar Power and various egg moves.

Services in the Sun and Moon Festival

Are you a trader, an aspiring new competitive battler, or both? This new feature may just be what you need to practice the art of competitive battle. A new feature we have added specifically to the Sun and Moon Festival is the ability for members to create shops to assist other members in preparing for the challenge using Pokebay Coins as currency. This is perfect for Pokebay users who want to get into the competitive scene but don’t know where to start.

Shops and services can be nearly anything -- from breeding some new battle-ready Pokemon to EV training Pokemon to hyper training -- whatever one can think of works as a shop idea.

The format of creating league shops is similar to how Pokebay's forum threads are made. Any Pokebay league member can create a shop channel in our Discord server's League Shops category and post a description of their service. Other members who are interested in the service then may negotiate a trade in the channel.

Players have near free range when it comes to styling their shop just the way they want it. However, there is one rule in place to regulate these services: the price range of any service, be it an item or a Pokemon, must be in the range of 5-20 PC.
    This is to prevent abuse and to keep things running smoothly within the league.

List of Current Gym Leaders & Champion

This list is updated frequently, even before the battle seasons start, so be sure to check back for updated lists!

Hall of Fame

Former Champions from all seasons/versions of the official Pokebay League will be listed here.

Original Champion of the League: Cloud

Grant: November 23, 2014 --- April 19, 2015
    Chris: July 1, 2015 --- January 22, 2016
    Aaron: January 22, 2016 --- August 4, 2017

Champions Crowned During Season 1

I Like Fire 14: December 31, 2017 --
    Last edited by Sakura Mamiya; 01-01-2018 at 12:17 AM.
    Fire type Pokémon trainer traveling the world ~ Next stop: Alola!

2. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 11 | Offers: 21 | Wishlist Items: 12 | Wishlist Offers: 8 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 3
    To be updated for future reference.

3. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 12 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 2 | Battles: 4 | Battle Requests: 6
    How many Pokebay Coins do you get for battles and winning and stuff? And do gym leaders have types? Cant wait to try this!
    Last edited by Baby Koga; 11-03-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    Poison Type Veteran

4. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 21 | Offers: 108 | Wishlist Items: 5 | Wishlist Offers: 11 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    We do have types, but we’ve allotted to have at least one “wildcard Pokémon” as long as it has a move following our type. Meaning you could be a flying type gym leader, but that protean greninja with Ariel ace is legal.

5. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 11 | Offers: 21 | Wishlist Items: 12 | Wishlist Offers: 8 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 3
    Quote Originally Posted by PangoRob View Post
    How many Pokebay Coins do you get for battles and winning and stuff? And do gym leaders have types? Cant wait to try this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethanos View Post
    We do have types, but we’ve allotted to have at least one “wildcard Pokémon” as long as it has a move following our type. Meaning you could be a flying type gym leader, but that protean greninja with Ariel ace is legal.
    @Zethanos You are technically correct with your explanation, but we are no longer running that format. We no longer have set types; all challengers, Gym Leader or not, may use multitype Pokemon teams if they wish.

Gym leaders don't have their types anymore because our new battle style demands the constant switching of challengers and leaders to keep things running.

@PangoRob We're still figuring the reward values for winning in battles, that will be updated in the thread soon. We'll be happy to have you as a challenger!

6. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 21 | Offers: 108 | Wishlist Items: 5 | Wishlist Offers: 11 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED THAT I CAN BRING THE PAIN NOW.

7. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 17 | Offers: 17 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 21 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 5
    Just a couple of things I would like to ask about:

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Mamiya View Post

Members can only battle other Members while Gym Leaders and the Champion can battle both Members and Gym Leaders.
    How can gym leaders battle members if members aren't allowed to battle gym leaders? That's all I have to ask here.

In order to advance to become the Champion, one must be a sitting Gym Leader, collect and redeem 256 PC, and defeat the Champion. If the challenger wins, the Champion will be dethroned back to Member and the challenger will take their place as Gym Leader. If the challenger loses, the challenger will have to recollect another 256 PC in order to challenge again.
    How exactly does this work? You've said that if a gym leader defeats the champion, "the challenger will take their place as Gym Leader", and it looks like this was a mistake and you meant to say champion at the end of that sentence. Also, assuming that was indeed a mistake and the gym leaders can become champions, I'd also like to question this part here, "If the challenger wins, the Champion will be dethroned back to Member". If this happened, if a gym leader were to defeat a champion, the champion is demoted to member, while the challenger is promoted to champion, so that would mean that the league would be down a gym leader.

Are you a trader, an aspiring new competitive battler, or both? This new feature may just be what you need to practice the art of competitive battle. A new feature we have added specifically to the Sun and Moon Festival is the ability for members to create shops to assist other members in preparing for the challenge using Pokebay Coins as currency. This is perfect for Pokebay users who want to get into the competitive scene but don’t know where to start.
    I also want to ask about this and how these shops will work. How is it that we go about starting shops? Do we just post in this thread or do we create another thread for it or is it maybe even set up in the discord chat, because I would like to set up a shop for IV breeding? Also, is it possible for players to trade PC for services from someone without a shop? For example, if I happened to have a pokemon with good IVs, could I trade that to someone for PC without having to set up a shop if I knew these sorts of trades would not happen often?

8. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 11 | Offers: 21 | Wishlist Items: 12 | Wishlist Offers: 8 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 3
    Quote Originally Posted by I like fire 14 View Post
    How can gym leaders battle members if members aren't allowed to battle gym leaders? That's all I have to ask here.
    This is in place due to the different reward values that members and gym leaders have (this will be updated in the thread soon). Members can only battle members because allowing them to battle gym leaders would build up their PC total too quickly. Plus, as season 1 had an exception for our current gym leaders before the battle style switch, all future seasons would have everyone start as a member, leaving for no gym leaders to battle at the start regardless.

How exactly does this work? You've said that if a gym leader defeats the champion, "the challenger will take their place as Gym Leader", and it looks like this was a mistake and you meant to say champion at the end of that sentence. Also, assuming that was indeed a mistake and the gym leaders can become champions, I'd also like to question this part here, "If the challenger wins, the Champion will be dethroned back to Member". If this happened, if a gym leader were to defeat a champion, the champion is demoted to member, while the challenger is promoted to champion, so that would mean that the league would be down a gym leader.
    Haha, oh yeah, thanks for informing me on that error, I will change it. xD For the second part of this question, that format was intentional. The reason why the champion is dethroned back to member and doesn't take the place of the winning gym leader was to prevent a deadlock between the gym leaders and the champion (this means most, if not all the activity would eventually take place only with the gym leaders and the champion, leaving the members in the dust). Plus, it would be unfair to constantly get into the Hall of Fame repeatedly without working from the bottom up like many people will. Even if we are short of a gym leader during this switch, with how this system works, that empty spot will be filled by someone else very quickly. Also, remember that we no longer have the rule that the challenger has to defeat all eight gym leaders anymore, so the total number of gym leaders does not matter.

I also want to ask about this and how these shops will work. How is it that we go about starting shops? Do we just post in this thread or do we create another thread for it or is it maybe even set up in the discord chat, because I would like to set up a shop for IV breeding? Also, is it possible for players to trade PC for services from someone without a shop? For example, if I happened to have a pokemon with good IVs, could I trade that to someone for PC without having to set up a shop if I knew these sorts of trades would not happen often?
    We're currently finalizing how these services will work at the moment, so I don't believe I can give you completely accurate information until we do. More information will be posted in the thread when we get closer to the start date. I'll get back to you on that.

9. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 17 | Offers: 17 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 21 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 5
    Thanks for clearing all that up, but I do have another question now reguarding this bit here:

Haha, oh yeah, thanks for informing me on that error, I will change it. xD For the second part of this question, that format was intentional. The reason why the champion is dethroned back to member and doesn't take the place of the winning gym leader was to prevent a deadlock between the gym leaders and the champion (this means most, if not all the activity would eventually take place only with the gym leaders and the champion, leaving the members in the dust). Plus, it would be unfair to constantly get into the Hall of Fame repeatedly without working from the bottom up like many people will. Even if we are short of a gym leader during this switch, with how this system works, that empty spot will be filled by someone else very quickly. Also, remember that we no longer have the rule that the challenger has to defeat all eight gym leaders anymore, so the total number of gym leaders does not matter.
    In the original post, you said this:

In order to advance to become one of the eight Gym Leaders, one must collect and redeem 48 PC and defeat a current sitting Gym Leader. If the challenger wins, the Gym Leader will be dethroned back to Member and the challenger will take their place as Gym Leader.
    If a member defeats a gym leader, the member becomes a gym leader while the defeated gym leader is demoted to a member. Doesn't this mean that even if there was an open position due to a gym leader becoming a champion, the position would never be filled because when one member becomes a gym leader, a gym leader will be demoted? And because of this, wouldn't it also be possible for all the gym leaders to become champions at some point and make it to were there are no gym leaders, therefore breaking the league? This would mean that even if someone only has to battle a single gym leader to be able to become the Champion, it would be possible to create a situation in which no one can become champion as there would no longer be any gym leaders to battle.

Also sorry if I broke the league with this message
    Last edited by I like fire 14; 11-05-2017 at 06:50 PM.

10. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 11 | Offers: 21 | Wishlist Items: 12 | Wishlist Offers: 8 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 3
    @I like fire 14 For your first question, that empty spot would still be filled on a first come first serve basis. If a member happens to get just enough PC to become a gym leader before anyone else claims the spot, then they take the spot without the need for a battle. This wasn't stated in the thread, as the guide is supposed to be a brief explanation of how it works based on what is most likely to happen.

For your second question, this would not break the league as if all the gym leaders became champions and went back to being members, it would be just like how a normal season would start, just in the middle of the season -- those former champions would battle other members (or each other) again and become gym leaders, then battle to become the champion again. It's like a neverending cycle. Remember that season 1 is an exception (otherwise you and all the other gym leaders would start as members, not gym leaders) and that our system no longer depends on always having a certain number of gym leaders available to battle.

For your third point, it is similar to the first and second points. There is a very unlikely chance that there will only be one gym leader available to battle, as members who get enough PC and see an empty spot can snag it. It would still be possible to become champion, as it would technically be impossible to have zero gym leaders. Also, it is not just battle one gym leader to become the champion -- they have to collect the minimum amount of PC before they can challenge the champion.

You didn't break the league, Fire. You just asked some questions you were confused about, and that's good. xP

11. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 17 | Offers: 17 | Wishlist Items: 8 | Wishlist Offers: 21 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 5
    Thank you for the response. It's good to know the league isn't broken

12. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 1 | Offers: 2 | Wishlist Items: 1 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 3 | Battle Requests: 0
    Part of me hopes to come back to the site as an active member and be a challenger. Don't know how likely that is, but I can dream
    I am Alex, Alexander Reve. My pokemon and I see what others do not. It is not merely the future as many would have you believe, but we see much more than many. Come, let us do battle. If it is your dream to be the best, then prove it.

13. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 42 | Offers: 12 | Wishlist Items: 2 | Wishlist Offers: 0 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle the Seeker View Post
    Part of me hopes to come back to the site as an active member and be a challenger. Don't know how likely that is, but I can dream
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

14. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 21 | Offers: 108 | Wishlist Items: 5 | Wishlist Offers: 11 | Battles: 0 | Battle Requests: 0
    MY discord is crapping our guys. I don’t know if I’m the only one or not.

15. PokeBay Stats: Trades: 11 | Offers: 21 | Wishlist Items: 12 | Wishlist Offers: 8 | Battles: 1 | Battle Requests: 3
    Hello, everyone! The Pokebay League's start date is only two days away; I hope everyone is hyped for it to begin! I have a couple news/thread updates to share regarding finalization of our new battle system.

1. The thread has been updated with a link to our official Discord server! This is where the bulk of the activity will take place. Feel free to take a look around!
    2. The Pokebay Coin requirements and the reward values have been updated and added to the thread and now are considered official for this season.
    3. The league's shops and services section of the thread have been updated with the official regulations for the season and a league shops category has been added to the Discord.

Future news updates will also be posted this way, so keep an eye out!

EDIT 11/24/17: We also have another update! Upon further analysis and discussion, members can now battle anyone, not just other members! This will most likely make finding battles easier. More information about this change has been added to the thread as the underlined portion under the reward values.
    Last edited by Sakura Mamiya; 11-24-2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Honing the battle style