The forum rules are broken down into two categories, "General Rules" and "Posting Guidelines". Breaking any of the "General Rules" will either get you a warning, or points on your account (these are called infractions) "Posting guidelines" on the other hand outline the sort of behaviour we expect on PokeBay. We won't be so strict with these, but if you do continually ignore them and it begins to disrupt the forums, warnings may be issued and eventually infractions.
Here are Forum Rules:
The rules below are enforced with warnings and infractions and will be delt with on a case by case basis. (A new member breaking a rule will usually be treated more sympathetically than a member who has been here long enough to know better.)
- While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate personal attacks, racial/sexual slurs, threats, or purposely inflammatory posts. Posts of an abusive or hateful nature have no place here.
- Bullying and trolling other members will not be tolerated. If you have issues with another member please just use the "Ignore" feature. This can be enabled from the member's public profile page.
- Please keep it clean. Swearing, explicit language or posts of a vulgar nature are not allowed. If you are going to post something of a potentially dubious nature, please warn us in the title. We have some young members here.
- Links to your personal websites can be posted; in your signature, on your profile. Don't advertise your website by private message or by using social groups. If you receive any spam or advertisements in this way, please alert a member of staff.
- You cannot post ROMs or other illegal programs on this site. These should not be requested on the site.
- If you have something illegal or have done something illegal, please do not post about it here.
- Alternate accounts are not allowed. If you have a family member or friend join on the same IP, please make the staff aware when they register.
- Taking advantage of loop holes such as bypassing word censors is not allowed. Report these issues to the staff.
- Using special BB code or features intended for staff use only, is not allowed.
- Attempting to breach security, or abusing potential security issues is a very serious offense and will be treated as such.
- Spammers and Trolls joining solely for the purpose of disrupting the forums will receive an instant and permanent ban.
- Avoid posting religious or political threads. No matter how well meaning they always end up in fights.
Also while these rules cover most common situations, we cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way. Anyone who continues to willfully violate the forum rules will be banned (Banned users will have the title “Team Rocket Member” under their usernames.) If you are banned do not register with another account.
Posting Guidelines and Etiquette
Though it's unlikely members will be punished for breaking any of these rules, if they are persistently ignored a warning may be issued.
- Try to use correct grammar and spelling.
- Keep the chat speak down. (In other words, "l4m3r, OMFG, ROFL!11")
- Turn off CAPS LOCK.
- If you have a problem with another member of the forums, try to settle it in private messages to avoid disrupting a thread
- Do not double post! Please just use the edit button.
- Bumping old threads is not allowed unless you have a genuine contribution.
- Respect the other forum members. We all have our own opinions so respect that people may see things differently to you. You don't have to change someone's opinion to state your own. Arguments are inevitable but remember that it's usually not worth the drama. The internet isn't really serious business
- Respect decisions made by mods and admins, if they edit/delete one of your topics or posts, do not recreate it. However if you feel you've been treated unfairly please PM an administrator to discuss the matter further.
- Please use the search button at the top of the screen before you make a topic. If there is already a topic on the first new pages of the forum, post in that one.
- Please refrain from posting meaningless threads or, short nonsense posts (In other words spam) Make sure your posts have something that people want to read.
- Multiple or repeated posting, in order to increase your post count is not allowed.
- If your post gives away spoilers to a game/ movie, please use the spoiler tag when you post. [spoiler]
- If you see something that needs to be brought to a staff member's attention, use the "report" button rather than disrupting the thread with posts like "Spam!" and "InBeforeTheLock" The report button will help the staff to resolve any issues quickly. The positive use of this feature could be a factor in selecting future staff members.
- Avoid posting " I'm leaving" threads. It doesn't look good for new members to see a list of people leaving when they make their first post in the lobby
- Please be kind and welcoming to new members, we were all new once. Give them the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions.
- Do not create topics with a one word post. i.e "Discuss" If you are interested enough in the topic then you should have something to say. These topics will be deleted.
The Chat Box follows the same guidelines and rules as the forums. Please keep in mind that is is a live environment, which means special consideration and moderation will take place in the Chat Box. In the event of a heated discussion/argument, the following actions will be taken:
1) Verbal Warning: If a moderator believes discussions are forming into an heated discussion/argument, a verbal warning will be issued to any/all parties involved.
2) Cool Down Period: Should the heated discussion/argument continue AFTER the verbal warning, a cool down period will be issued to everyone in the discussion that the moderators feels appropriate. These can last anywhere between 15-30 minutes.
3) Chat Ban/ Infraction: If the user(s) continue(s) to argue or break the rules after a Cool Down Period, the user(s) will receive a Chat Ban or an Infraction. The decision on a Chat Ban or Infraction will be decided by the moderator based on the severity of the situation.
Note that this is a general flow of corrective action. Should a moderator feel that the user(s) intent is to begin heated arguments/arguments over the chat, the moderator is subject to bypass any of these actions based on the severity of the situation. For example, a user may be able to immediately receive a Chat Ban/Infraction without a Cool Down Period or Verbal Warning based on the severity of the situation.
These all follow the same guidelines and rules as the forums.
This is how the infraction system works:
When a Supermod or Admin issues an infraction or a warning, they will have to fill in a small form. In a PM you will be told which of your posts broke one of the rules and why it was issued. (Infractions can also be issued on your member profile). A thread will also be automatically created in the staff forum so that we're all aware of the situation. Infractions will stay on your account for 1-2 months so if you keep getting them within that time, the points will add up and you will automatically be issued one of the punishments below, depending on the amount of points you have received.
4 | 2 Day Suspension
5 | 5 Day Suspension
10 | 1 Month Suspension
15 | 2 Month Suspension
20 | Permanent Ban
Here are a few examples just to give you an idea of how it works.
Title: Bypassing censors
Expires: 1 Month (How long this will stay on your account for)
Warning First: Yes
Title: Using "Staff only" features
Points: 5 (Five points would get you suspended for 5 days)
Expires: 4 Months
Warning First: No
Title: Attempting to vandalise or hack PokeBay
Warning First: No
Unless you're really bad it will take quite a few warnings or infractions to get any sort of punishment. Your infractions are private and we will keep it that way, staff will never discuss your infractions with other members of the forum. If you feel you were issued an infraction unfairly, please PM an administrator and it will be discussed amongst the staff.